IGNORED

Iopd, MP3... ??? Difference??

OK... I ordered a Garmin 2720 Last night along with the Ram mount and the Motorcycle mount kit.

My Next question is... MUSIC... What is the best and most reasonable cost for a music storage device? MP3... I POD... Etc. I know Nothing about these devices... so please feel free to educate me as well.

Last question... Once i have all these in my hands .... Will I need anything special to make it all work on the RSV.

Thank you

Reaney in NH

Any type of MP3 player with flash memory will work fine. An IPOD Nano is one recommendation and works very well. You can get one with 8GB of flash memory and that will hold a LOT of songs. I used a regular IPOD for a long time and never had any problems but many folks have had a problem with them because they have a hard drive and hard drives aren't really crazy about vibration.

A lot of us also use XM or Sirius radio.

Either is easy to use on the RSV as you can just use a short patch cable from the MP3 player or satellite radio and plug it right into the aux port on the cassette player. If you don't like having to leave the door to the cassette player open, a lot of us have opened up the fairing and plugged a splitter into the aux cable and brought one out separately.

Either is easy to use on the RSV as you can just use a short patch cable from the MP3 player or satellite radio and plug it right into the aux port on the cassette player

Yep.....And that works great! You can buy the Ipod Shuffle from Amazon for less than $60. It will hold 250 songs and runs for 14 hours between battery charges too.

Boomer......who can boogie with the best of them.......and sings along with Waylon and Willie too.:D

If you are looking for inexpensive then go with an MP3 player. You can pick them up just about anywhere for less than $30.00. Unless you have an extensive song collection you really don't need more than 2 Gig. I have 288 songs on a 2 Gig card and have just went over the 1 Gig mark. So figure close to 500 songs on a 2G player. That's a lot of ripping or downloading of songs.

Just my 2Cents worth.

Hello i have the i pod touch no hard drive to lock up and i have 2495 songs over a week of songs put on shuffle no repeat i have the ram mount for it that is water proof and i can still use the touch features unless i have a glove on

bumble bee

kevin wisor

1999 rsv

jax fl

Hello i have the i pod touch no hard drive to lock up and i have 2495 songs over a week of songs put on shuffle no repeat i have the ram mount for it that is water proof and i can still use the touch features unless i have a glove on

bumble bee

kevin wisor

1999 rsv

jax fl

Could you link to the water proof mount you were talking about?

i went the ipod route. there is also a HUGE aftermarket for ipods. you can find rf remotes to dock-able speakers, etc. i use my ipod in the house as well as on the bike. i'd recommend any of the solid state ones. also the user interface is simple and the itunes store is really cool.

i have made a number of different playlists that i like to listen to when i ride.

there is 1 bad side to music on the bike. if you sing out loud in a full face helmet, you can hear yourself. sometimes a shortie is beter, depending on your voice :rotfl:

OK... I ordered a Garmin 2720 Last night along with the Ram mount and the Motorcycle mount kit.

My Next question is... MUSIC... What is the best and most reasonable cost for a music storage device? MP3... I POD... Etc. I know Nothing about these devices... so please feel free to educate me as well.

Last question... Once i have all these in my hands .... Will I need anything special to make it all work on the RSV.

Thank you

Reaney in NH

Does your Garmin take flash mem. cards? I have the Nuvi 750 I can load a 2 gig card with tunes plug it rite into the gps and play music rite thru the gps unit, no need for a separate player. Just a thought. Craig

I have both and both are very good at what they do. IPOD's are about twice the price of a compilable MP3 player. An example an 8gig IPOD around $130 and an 8gig MP3 player around $60. The IPOD in this example would have a slightly larger screen. I have a IPOD Suffle which is 1 oe 2 gig but has no viewing screen so you cannot select a particular song and no video. You basicely turn it on and listen to it. The larger IPOD's and MP3 players you can select the song you want to listen to via a screen and or programing within the system. IPOD's also require you to use itune to load music and or video onto your IPOD. MP3's are a little easier to use as you don't have to use one specific program to load music and video.

Another consideration is the batteries. The IPOD and the 8gig MP3 player have rechargible batteries so when the batteries are gone you may as well through them away. Some IPOD's you can send back to IPOD and they will replace the batteries for a lot of :mo money: . I also have a MP3 player that takes AAA I use as a spare.:thumbsup2:

hello

the site for the ram mount is cyclegadgets.com the aqua box 2 i do not know how to link it. if you do a search on bumble bee go to photos of bumble bees side car and you can see the ram mount in the photos to see what it looks like

bumble bee

kevin wisor

1999 rsv

jax fl

I don't know but if it is self powered or can be powered by a 12 volt power supply (don't know if the Australian models have a power outlet) and it has a place for headphones and the headphone plug is the same size as the input beside the tape deck then it should work. Basickly you are just using your Venture's speakers instead of headphones. That is my quess??:puzzled::puzzled::puzzled::confused24:

hello

the site for the ram mount is cyclegadgets.com the aqua box 2 i do not know how to link it. if you do a search on bumble bee go to photos of bumble bees side car and you can see the ram mount in the photos to see what it looks like

bumble bee

kevin wisor

1999 rsv

jax fl

Thanks for the info. Cyclegadgets isn't the easiest place to navigate around. I found it in the search but it wouldn't give me any information on the product.

I finally found the product page. Had to get there by a google search.

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/ram/ram.asp?prod=RAM-AB2

Does the iPod touch have the audio jack on the top like the iPhone? And how do you get a mini phono connection to the iPod? Again I couldn't get any good information on the product.

I just found an application for the iPhone that allows me to access my mucic on PC from anywhere I have connectivity. So far it works pretty good and it would be cool to have my entire library available while riding down the road.

Thanks

Edited by SaltyDawg

Does your Garmin take flash mem. cards? I have the Nuvi 750 I can load a 2 gig card with tunes plug it rite into the gps and play music rite thru the gps unit, no need for a separate player. Just a thought. Craig
I believe the 2720 did not have that ability. The 2730 has an MP3 player, but uses just internal storage, which is what I use. I love it. One device, GPS, XM and MP3

iPOD is a BRAND of MP3 player. It is not any different than any other MP3 player except that it is the most popularbrand which mean there are more accessory options for it. I personally have the 2 gig Nano and for me it is not big enough. I really would like to upgrade to about 8 gig or more.

I do this with my Nuvi 350 too & recommend it. Although i think the 2720 doesn't support music playback, one advantage worth noting - which could be worth considering as you choose a player - is that I can have a couple of different playlists loaded onto different memory cards.

This means changing playlists is as simple as swapping a card in 2-3 secs. This opposed to having to re-load a player with fixed memory or limited capacity. I have a couple cards I use a lot including one with music both the Mrs & I like, and another with with stuff I like but she doesn't (for solo rides).

hello in the ram mount the wires feed through the back on the the touch it connect from the bottom but the wire can go from the top or the bottom you do have to drill a hole in the back to get the wires in but not a big deal i have the charger and the audo wire on mine never have to worry about the battery going dead

bunble bee

kevin wisor

1999 rsv

jax fl

I do this with my Nuvi 350 too & recommend it. Although i think the 2720 doesn't support music playback, one advantage worth noting - which could be worth considering as you choose a player - is that I can have a couple of different playlists loaded onto different memory cards.

This means changing playlists is as simple as swapping a card in 2-3 secs. This opposed to having to re-load a player with fixed memory or limited capacity. I have a couple cards I use a lot including one with music both the Mrs & I like, and another with with stuff I like but she doesn't (for solo rides).

The 2720 does not take SD cards. It is a water tight unit. It doesn't even have a speaker. The speaker is on the power cord that plugs into the power outlet. The 2720 has no internal battery so it has to be connected to a power supply in order to work. I have another GPS that takes the SD card for pictures and music but I prefer to let my GPS be a GPS and my MP3 player be my music source. The 2720 has a lot to offer for a little price. I got a 2720 off ebay for $122 that is refurbished and comes with a 1 yr. USA warranty from Garmin. It is basicly a new unit but it has the 2008 maps which are fine with me. Like I said the 2720 has a lot to offer for a GPS but it doesn't have some of the features that even a cheap GPS features (card and pictures). As far as IPOD goes they do have a lot of accessories for them (more than the MP players) but it comes at a price. IMHO

hello in the ram mount the wires feed through the back on the the touch it connect from the bottom but the wire can go from the top or the bottom you do have to drill a hole in the back to get the wires in but not a big deal i have the charger and the audo wire on mine never have to worry about the battery going dead

bunble bee

kevin wisor

1999 rsv

jax fl

Thanks Kevin, that's what I wanted to hear.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Garmin Nuvi 760 which can take an SD (removable "flash" memory) card. It's mounted on my bike using a RAM Mounts Aquabox (foul weather) or Garmin mount. Since it can play music files it's hooked into my speaker system.

Portable music players - like the iPod, Zune, etc. - come in two general flavors - those with a tiny hard disk (mechanical) and those without (solid state). The solid state units are smaller,lighter and their batteries last longer.

I use a solid state iPod shuffle most days - it just randomly plays the music I put on it, if it's on there I like it. For longer trips I use my Garmin or an iPod "classic" (hard drive).

While there are many "MP3 players" on the market (I have all iPods) please keep an eye on the file format you save your music in.

Mac uses a format called ACC which can only (generally) be played using iPod or iTunes and contains "Digital Right Management" (DRM) code (copyright software).

Change the defaults (in iTunes settings) to save your music as "MP3" format - which iPod can also play.

The MP3 format can be played by nearly all "portable music" players as well as many CD, DVD and Car Audio systems (playing songs saved on an MP3 CD). It's totally portable, does not have (generally) DRM and can be recorded in various "quality levels" which save or take up space on your device (more space = more quality, less space = more songs).

So if you like your cycle tunes you can record the MP3 files on a CD and have 8-10+ albums per CD or just a jumble of songs. If you have an MP3 CD compatible car stereo with a changer you could have # of CDs times the number of albums on board with you at any time (for me it's about 60 albums).

"Gadget"

There are many good choices for mp3 players. The trick is finding one that will suit your personal needs.

I choose the ipod shuffle for these reasons:

Price - relatively inexpensive.

Small- fits under the tape deck cover.

Solid state- no hard drive to fail

Holds more than enough music for me- Its currently only a third full.

Single large play button- can be operated with a gloved hand, no display or menu to distract me from the important task at hand (staying upright)

Just a note on the shuffle, if you leave the unit on "pause" it will go to sleep and the battery will last just as long as turning it off, I pressed pause last fall and it still played in the spring.To wake it up press play, count to 5, press play again.