IGNORED

Tach bounced, lost everyhing but the speedo

Eventually I will get all the bugs out of this thing.

Was out for a ride after synching carbs and my tach started to bounce a little. About 30 miles later- everything went out- except the speedo. No tach, no computer, no voltage, no turn signals. The computer would start cycling through after a short time and the tach reappeared then the whole process started again.

Now it's off more than it's on. Does the computer display board control everything? Should I be looking for a loose/dirty connector or could the board be bad? How hard is it to get to?

My cruise went out as well. All lights come on when powered on, all turn off but power. Can't get set or resume light to come on or function.

Thanks for all the advice. It's coming together.

86VR 22,000

Could be that your fuses are loosing contact. Check to make sure that you have power going THROUGH them. not just to them.

I would say you got your answer with either Bob or Carl. For some reason a little bell is ringing about someone having this problem a while back and found a loose ground under one of the front signal lights.

RandyA

I got to the back of the panel and sprayed greased all the connectors I could find, including the 2 big white ones plugged into the back of the dash. I didn't look for the grounds on the frame yet.

Put it mostly back together and only had time for a few mile ride. It didn't fail yet but the tach still bounces a bit intermittently, and thats what it did before it cut out completely so I don't think it's completely fixed yet.

I haven't found the post you referred to yet- I have been searching.

Thanks

Greetings...

Is it raining?

I have many, not all, of those problems, when water gets in the TCI - oddly enough only when I'm NOT riding in the rain but just parked in the rain. It never happens when I'm riding through rain - but I can be sure it will if I leave it parked without the cover over night IN the rain...

Bouncing tach, computer resetting, stalling, signals not functional, display lights not working, clock resets...

I didn't look for the grounds on the frame yet.

Thanks

On the 83 & 85 the wiring harness ground point is basically behind the throttle cable junction, at the left front frame mounting point, for the plate that the tci & coils bolt to.

So you will probably need to remove the left fairing to get at the ground wires.

Inspect the Ing fuse Prongs, that hold the fuse in place, The brass prongs are brittle and prone to cracking and breaking OFF.

I would suggest you buy and IN-Line Fuse Holder, and wire it in place of that fuse.

Or, Repace the entire fuse block with and ATM type fuse block.

See the 1st gen Maintenance Library, there is a good article there with photos.

Have you pulled out the TCI and dried out the moisture inside of it. ??

The PO put an in-line in for the headlight and one for the ignition. have not dried out the TCI yet. Bike was garaged by PO and I have not ridden in the rain. Maybe still needs to be done.

Is the ground point the same on the 86?

I think looking at your "Signal" fuse and fuse clips will be a likely culprit. All the components mentioned take power through that fuse. Look for the fuse in the main fusebox with Brown wire on both sides of the fuse, in case the label has fallen out of the box.

The speed sensor also fails when the Signal fuse fails, so cruise won't set.

TCI failing will cause the tach to bounce....because it taps the #2 cyl firing cycles....but you would feel the cylinder kicking in....or check the exhaust pipe on your front left cylinder when you lose tach reading...if its still hot, its firing.

Well I am getting ready for bed and just turning off the computer but I had to go look. The PO replaced 2 of the fuses with inline, but the signal and tail fuse remain in the clips.

This looks very promising. The clips feel a bit loose on the signal fuse and I was able to re-create the problem by a little upward pressure with a screwdriver.

Unfortunately I have a couple 15 hour days coming so I won't be able to get at this until Sat.

My question at this point would be relating to the cruise control. While I get the power light, I can't set or resume (also no light) and this was occurring while the dash was functioning OK. Would the problems still be related?

Granted if the fuse fixes my dash problem I will be very happy but it would be nice to get the cruise back.

Thanks all.

The Tach is powered by the Sig fuse. However it gets it RPM count signal from the TCI from the #2 Ignition coil.

However everything else you said was not getting power, comes from the Ign Fuse.

TCI, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, Ignition coils, side stand relay, cruz control, are all powered by the Ing fuse.

Drying the TCI in oven at 110 deg F. for an hour is highly reccomended.

A very common fix, most of us have done this at least once.

Also, when you have it removed, be sure to resolder the connections from the plugs going to the circuit board inside the TCI. ( Cold solder joints, and cracked solder joints are very common in the TCI units )

So I may have several problems:

Signal fuse. When I pull on this my display goes dead.

TCI- I will dry this out. Will I need to pull the airbox to remove this?

Possible #2 coil. Although when the tach "floats" I don't feel anything different in engine performance. Could the TCI cause the RPM display variance by itself?

So I may have several problems: ((( Yes, possibly )))

Signal fuse. When I pull on this my display goes dead.

TCI- I will dry this out. Will I need to pull the airbox to remove this?

((( Yes,-- pull air cleaner box, and also good time to pull battery box, and clean up area for acid spills, and CHECK THE RED BATTERY CABLE FOR CHAFFING, as it pass's thru the frame going to starter )))

Possible #2 coil. Although when the tach "floats" I don't feel anything different in engine performance. Could the TCI cause the RPM display variance by itself?

((( find the 2 wire small plug going to the #2 Ignition coil, clean the connections inside that plug, extra wire there feeds signal to the tach )))

Guess I'm confused ...I understood the bike is running fine??...just instrumentation has failed, correct???......with the Signal fuse pulled Tach, turn signals, Voltmeter, Temp gauge, speed sensor for turn signal cancel and Cruise Set all fail. I can see the ignition fuse or TCI being issue if the bike is actually misfiring.....I don't see any mention of the cruise Power light faltering when the tach acts up (the main power for cruise does run through Ign fuse as mentioned).

I'd fix up the signal fuse clips first....then see what still isn't working.

Test the voltage on both sides of the Signal fuse to see if thats the issue.

Bike is running good (other than slow RPM drop - detailed in another post). Don't feel a misfire when the display disappears or tach acts up. Cruise power light will remain on during the dash failures.

I hit a pot hole felt the front shocks bottom out and lost all elec. power from signal fuse.

When I replace it, it will blow again. suspect a pinched hot wire. Any ideas as far as logical place this could be? Im not that familiar with the bike wireing harness and have had trouble finding a schematic. Help would be greatly appreaciated.

i had the exact same thing on my 86 vr. it is the fuse clip in the fuse block has weakened or is corroded and not making contact. it is hard to see but the end of the fuse overheated and the fuse even though it looked okay. tested open or blown. thanks to my buddy Carl who made a quick fix got me going, and i wired in a fuseholder the next day.

i have ordered a new fuse block and will install it soon.

cheers, Scott

While my signal fuse seemed to be tight enough, I removed it and wired an in-line holder. Went out for a 50 mile joy ride this morning and it looks like it took care of the problem.

Still don't have cruise. Lights all come on when powering on and power light stays on but won't set.

Thanks for all the help.

Edited by WiVR

Does the SET light come on when you try setting cruise?

If not, try letting the cancel button pop out a few times......still no luck....see if theres any freeplay in the clutch lever.....push out on the lever with a finger and try a SET.

If it works...inspect clutch lever pivot bushing for wear...(round brass bushing under the plastic guard of the lever) about $5 from Yamaha.

Still no cruise. Power light comes on but no set or resume. Cleaned the switch with contact cleaner, worked the cancel button and pushed out on both grip levers. Also lifted the rear brake pedal with my foot. All tried at over 50MPH.

No luck.