IGNORED

Lost my front master! Geesh!

Ok, here's the deal. The last thing I had to do today before I buttoned the bike back up was swap out the two front brake lines with the new braided SS one.

So I hit the hard one first. The left front caliper from the metering valve on the steering head. Not as bad as I expected. Used an injector to fill the lines with fluid and bled it out from the top then the caliper. Slick. Done this a few times before so I got the linked system down to a science.

Now the easy one. Of course this is where I get in trouble. Front brake master to the right front caliper. I ran the line down through and disconnected the lines from the caliper and hooked up the new SS line. I then cracked up the union on the master and quickly changed the lines. About 30 second to do it. Filled the res with fluid and then using the injector as a vacumn on the bleeder I pulled fluid down though the line. Filled the res again and discover I have no pressure on the brake lever. Went back to the bleeder and used pressure to back fill the system from the bottom. The res level increased but still no pressure on the lever.

This master was rebuilt last year and has been working fine. I drove it into the garage this morning. Some how I lost pressure in the few seconds that I had the upper fitting off.

How do I get this master to reprime without tearing it apart?

Any ideas?

They can trap an air bubble at the banjo bolt on the MC. Grab a big hand full of paper towels, loosen the banjo bolt a little, squeeze the lever, tighten bolt, release lever. See if it builds up resistance.

And if you're counting it should be apparent that you need 3 hands to do the job.

This master was rebuilt last year and has been working fine. I drove it into the garage this morning. Some how I lost pressure in the few seconds that I had the upper fitting off.

How do I get this master to reprime without tearing it apart?

Any ideas?

One thing I do if needed, is to connect an shorter old line to the master & put the other end into the reservoir, so it is submerged. I pump the fluid through, until no more air will be moved though the line (this is refered to, as "bench bleeding"). After this is done, I re-connect the fitted line to the master (do not move the lever without the line attached & bleed some more as needed.

Hopefully this will be of help to you.

Hey Carl.

That's why I wear flip flops in when I'm working on the bike. LOL! You should see me bleeding the the left front caliper. It's like a weird game of Twister.

I'll give that a shot. I had the union broke up a couple of times pumping the lever but I always released it before I tightened it back up.

Back to the garage.

I'm so close to riding again. It's the simple stuff that kills ya everytime. Damn bubbles!

Mike

Carl! You da man! Went back out and tried it. Several times. No luck, not even a spit. Pulled the union out couldn't even see a drop inside. Shot some fluid in and gave a few more tries. It hit on the third one. Bled her out and then I thought the lever had stuck. Man what a change in the feel of the lever with the SS lines!

These SS puppies should pull the old girl to a screaming halt in no time. I will have to go and find the scumball that sliced my brake lines and thank him peronally for making me spend the money to make the change. Maybe he will give me a rebate when I get my hands on him.

But thanks. One less headache to wake up to in the morning. Been on vacation this week and started Saturday night with piles of cleaned, rebuilt, new, NOS, painted, polished, and upgrade parts to put back together into a motorcycle. Been at it for 12 hours a day since Sunday. (probably why I couldn't figure this problem out) Tomorrow the plastic goes back on and a test ride is in order.

But I'm going to hit the rack for a while and start fresh in the morning.

Thanks again.

Mike

Yah! Gettring the front master to prime is next to impossible without a vacuum bleeder!! First rebuilt one I put on I thought something was wrong, but when the second one wouldn't prime either, I ran out and bought a vacuum bleeder!

OK back to replacing parts of the wiring harness...