I'm having a problem with the 86 I just picked up that was in storage for a pretty long time. I have it idling just fine but whenever I increase the rpms to lets say 2000 it just pops and sputters. But if I give it full throttle, it seems to rev to higher r's without missing a beat. There are three circuits:

1) low speed circuit (idle) controlled by the idle mixture screws

2) mid range circuit - controlled by the pilots jets

3) high speed circuit - controlled by the main jets

Would any agree or disagree that I most likely am dealing with clogged or partially clogged pilots?

Thanks

Thanks Randya, Now for the 64K question. I suppose one has to completely remove the carb bank to get to the pilots. Is that right?

I do not see any way you could get to everything without pullings the carbs out. I have pulled the float bowls off without seperating the carbs, once they are out, but it makes it much more difficult to get to the screws. If you do seperate the carbs, you will definately need to sync the carbs.

RandyA

GeorgeS, I have tried Sea Foam without success. I have resigned myself that today after work, I will pull those rascals off and have them vatted by a very reliable shop in Hurst, Texas. They did a set awhile back for an 83 I use to have and sold to my brother in law, and that bike is still running like the day it was made.