IGNORED

friend needs advice

maxantinlive.com

my friend owns a 86 and he loves it, he asked me a question that i couldnt answer,i told him to join the site and i think that he is going to, thats good, so the question that he asked me is,@ a steady speed of 40 to 45 mph his bike seems to hesitate and sputter a bit, and it does it all the time, does anybody have good advice that could help solve this problem, let me thank you in advance for your help. thank you:thumbsup2:

the question that he asked me is,@ a steady speed of 40 to 45 mph his bike seems to hesitate and sputter a bit, and it does it all the time,

What gear is he running in, at that speed???? It should be 3rd or 4th & not 5th, remember these engines like to rev up. In 5th he would be lugging the engine, the minimum for 5th is about 50 mph (3,000 rpm).

:2cents:

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/eng/look%20out.gif

my friend owns a 86 and he loves it, he asked me a question that i couldnt answer,i told him to join the site and i think that he is going to, thats good, so the question that he asked me is,@ a steady speed of 40 to 45 mph his bike seems to hesitate and sputter a bit, and it does it all the time, does anybody have good advice that could help solve this problem, let me thank you in advance for your help. thank you:thumbsup2:
http://smilies.sofrayt.com/eng/itching.gif Hum... While I have absolutely no idea why this anomaly is occurring, the solution is very simple.

If the problem is only manifesting while running between 40 and 45 MPH, stay out of that speed range..... :rotfl: :duck: (Sorry, just couldn't help myself)

Okay, enough of this levity. Time to go to work and try to brighten some one elses day.

What gear is he running in, at that speed???? It should be 3rd or 4th & not 5th, remember these engines like to rev up. In 5th he would be lugging the engine, the minimum for 5th is about 50 mph (3,000 rpm).

:2cents:

Even though my bike sees 7,000 to 8,000rpm frequently going up thru the gears, it also does fine at 25 to 30mph in 5th gear. At 25mph in 5th on flat ground, it accelerates surprising well. Now, I would not want to do that on a 2nd gen with their more spaced gearing and 4th & 5th being overdrive.

RandyA

Even though my bike sees 7,000 to 8,000rpm frequently going up thru the gears, it also does fine at 25 to 30mph in 5th gear. At 25mph in 5th on flat ground, it accelerates surprising well. RandyA

Ditto......

Just a thought,

If the plugs were replaced, perhaps in the process one of the plug wires was pulled out of the cap just sufficiently to disturb the contact. My recommendation, it wouldn't hurt to pull the wires and ensure the caps are secure.

Just a thought