IGNORED

Trailer help for Aussie Travellers ?

Aussie Annie

Hi All,

I have friends' heading over in June to ride around the U.S. for three months. They are shipping their Harley (sorry) over. What they are trying to find is a trailer they could possibly hire for that time. They would like to get it from around Portland, Oregon. Can anyone help with trailer rental web sites in that area?? if there is such a thing?:think: Or maybe if they could buy secondhand and sell before coming home to Oz? :confused24: Any help would be appreciated thanks

never ride faster than your guardian angel:2133:can fly

Annie

The only place I can think of that they could rent a trailer would be u-haul. That being said I would think that the total cost for a three mo. rental would be very high. It might be better for them to go to Lowes and buy one of their trailers/use it for the 3 mo. and sell it at the end.

But mabe you are thinking about trailers for them to pull behind the bikes. In that case I don't know if any place rents those.

Craig

:mytruck1:

An option would be to buy one of the PiggyBacker trailers, and then sell it when it's time to leave. The trailers are fairly cheap..$700, have a good sized payload, and a 3 month old PB would sell fast at $400. Net result would be a out of pocket of around $300. MOF Harbor Frieght is selling the same style trailer for a little over $400. TRAILER Not as many frills, but what the heck..... :)

Annie, I dont know if the folks you are speaking of are the typical Harley riders we have here but, most of ours would only tow a trailer they could fold out and sleep in and have dinner in and go potty in.. They dont tour like a couple of us off breeds do,, sleeping in ditches with tents that never do acutally get put up.. Roughing it is part of the ride...

I say all that so you can maybe get taste of what I am about to explain to you.....

If it were me doing what they are planning on doing I would go to nearest Harbor Frieght store when I got my bike state side and buy lot number 42708 - this is small trailer PERFECT for pulling behind I scoot - comes road ready after you bolt it together (I actually would never do this because I dont pull trailers behind my bike - I toss the tent on, bag on, clean socks, one pair pants, one shirt, riding shorts and tenny shoes and usually the only thing worn out and repurchased on trip are a few pair of riding shorts..).. Anyway, after I bought the trailer I would put it together, tow it to menards, or Walmarts or Sams Club or a trailer place and buy one of those nifty little cartop clamshells that fit on these little trailers perfectly.. Drill four holes thru the bottom of the clamshell into the rails on the trailers, smear some seal-all over the bolts so no water can get in and you have a PERFECT little brand new trailer to haul all over the contenient for under 500 bucks....

But,,,, it dont fold out into a camper,,, those are 3500 USED and a little more new...... And I dont know anyplace that rents them.....

Take that back,,, I think I did hear of Harley shop out west that rents bikes and trailers.. Maybe they could find one thru the HOG membership?????

Hey,, I have an totally true trick that I pulled on some Aussies that were touring the country for a year and bumped into them in Rapid City SD... You would LOVE IT!!! Thing is,, I aint typing it out unless 10 or more people want me to.. A trick I learned hahah

Harbor Freights web site is Harborfreightusa.com

Your welcome

Puc :Cool_cool36:

Annie, my 2 cents.... I really don't think your friends will be able to "purchase" a pull behind because of the registration and title requirements. I don't believe foreigners can register vehicles/trailers. Maybe someone here can correct me if I'm wrong.

I think the only course of action would be to rent (and that may be difficult being from out of country) or borrow from someone on this site.

Good luck.

Annie, my 2 cents.... I really don't think your friends will be able to "purchase" a pull behind because of the registration and title requirements. I don't believe foreigners can register vehicles/trailers. Maybe someone here can correct me if I'm wrong.

I think the only course of action would be to rent (and that may be difficult being from out of country) or borrow from someone on this site.

Good luck.

Many states do not require registration/plates for small trailers. If you are from outside the country, I do not believe you will get any LEO's to give a second look at the registration for a trailer.

Here in Wisconsin, we don't have plates/registration requirements. I have pulled my trailer around the Midwest and the Southeast and have never been bothered. I have also pulled it thru Canada without any problem.

I wouldn't worry about it. Besides, if they give you a citation for it, you can just frame it and put it on the wall when you get back down under. I don't think they will pursue you down there to collect the fine.

It was a good idea to about having your friends get on the HOG website and troll around for someone who will rent/loan them a trailer. I expect the trailer owner will want a serious deposit, but that could be handled easily. Work with a local (local to Oregon) HD shop to handle the money.

RR

I'm also going to mention the part about registration. Some states do require it, some don't. Being from out of country could cause problems.

Their best bet would be to check the laws in the states they plan on riding through.

In my state, it has to be registered, and titled. I had a heck of a time buying a trailer in another state that didn't require a title, then trying to get it titled and registered...

Would be a real drag to have something happen, and find out they didn't play by the silly rules they have all over the place here...

If it were me, if I was going to another country, I'd try really hard to look for a rental... Even if they did get by with it, it could be a real mess for the person they sell the trailer to for them to get it VIN'd or registered or titled, or what other law they have to deal with, making it harder for them to sell the trailer before they leave.