I have removed the stator cover just to reseal the two rubber gromets (stator and pickup coils) that from time to time (huh) leak. For those of you that have had to (for whatever reason) remove the stator cover, what is the best, and I do mean best, sealer to use on those pesky gromets? Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Most important thing is to clean the case, wires and grommet. I found Advance Auto's Wearever brake cleaner to be very good. NON-chorinated type. So it is safe for most plastics and rubber. I did note that the smell has changed recently when using it. Meaning they may have recently reformulated it.But still works great. I will say the leak you speak of is oil coming out thru the wires. The wires are braided and this acts like a wick...drawing the oil out. Yes, a bad design. Then use Yamabond4. Which is actually a "Threebond" product. Also there is Suzuki silicone. It's used on sealing crankcase halves.It absolutely bonds to rubber grommets and o-rings. It's $20/tube. In this case, you get what you pay for.

Edited by jasonm.

Mine was also leaking because the grommet the stator wires passes through did not press tight against the cover gasket (you could see it was sub flush to the cover when installed in the slot). I put a bead of RTV on it, put the cover on just tight enough to shape the RTV and let it set over night. Then I torqued it down. That corrected my leak.

There is a sealer test that only the Yamabond/three bond can pass. Take a small bit(dime size) of any sealer. Place it on any small clean piece of metal. Let it set for the standard 24 hours. Then submerg it in motor oil or WD40 for a day or 2. You will find most all RTV's will release their grip when in WD40 in minutes and a day or so when in oil. Yamabond will not lose grip. There is one thing many do not know about Yamabond. It sets up after a few heat cycles of the engine. Thus retorquing is recommended when using it on a gasket.