IGNORED

First Gen. Question...

GuthDaddy17

I know this might be a question with many many answers like what oil, what tires, what this, or what that but here goes:witch_brew:...Is there a 1st gen year model that tends to be the most desireable? The most undesireable? I have read the history section explaining the breakdown between the year models and it seems like I have read a thread discussing this but can't find it now. The bike that Freebird found (89 SS) :cool10:sounds like the best built 1st gen but I'm talking about "in general" the 1200 vs the 1300 etc...

I would think that the last year 1st gen would be the most desirable by way of the improved ignition system. Then also the 83 the first year produced for nimbleness and quickness before Yamaha loaded it up. It is all for what you are happy with. I've had a 83 and now have a 86 but if I was buying another one I'd get the 93. Maybe another 83 just to rat it out.:checkeredflag::moped::rotfl::D

I have read about the 2nd gear problem ... is this something that WILL happen or just likely? (like our 2nd gen rear shocks) My understanding is this is a complicated fix (engine removal) I would love to own a 1st gen but don't want a "money pit"

my understanding is that this will happen on a bike built prior to 1985 (may even include 1985) after around 70,000 miles. Mine had 70,000 in it when I got it. 1000 miles later, the 2nd gear thing happened to me. I'm still riding it just like it is, I just baby it in 2nd until I can jump to 3rd. The bike has more than enough power to chug out of it. I also met a rider here with an 83 with the same problem. He has over 170,000 on his bike and has had the 2nd gear problem for years. He's playing with the idea of fixing it.

Guest ReinyRooster

The most desirable one is the beautiful '87 VR sitting in my garage that has all kinds of add-ons, that is for sale!

I lucked out when I bought the 83. It was a one owner and he did a top notch job of taking care of it. He replaced the Trans gears and so on. I would have no problem going across country with the 83 also my first Venture. but as for buying a first Gen. I would go with the 86-93 model due to more luggage space. Both have bullet proof motors and run like a dream.. I like the 83 very much - pure power and can eat up the road in a heart beat and can pull the tire off the ground in first gear & second gear with two up. the 83 model is the baddest of the Venture line to date. But I prefer more luggage space now. Peg is riding more with me now days so more room is needed.....

Buddy

Hey Guth,

There are a few First Gen. MKI's on Ebay right now in the $1000.00 range. If you are looking for a "stop light racer" as apposed to a touring bike I wouldn't spend $2500.00 on a First Gen. MKI. Besides the luggage change and larger motor on the MKII from 1986 to 1993 the braking system was upgraded to 4 piston calipers in the front. You might have to drive a little but I would think you would be able to find a First Gen. MKI that would suit your needs in the $1000.00 range. Then when 2nd gear goes out, you won't feel so bad about the money.

My thoughts,

Earl

I own an 83 and I havent sunk any money into it other than tires and regular maintainence, the 2nd gear will happen to all 83's, normally around 65k but mine didnt show until almost 80k..........still havent fixed it, it will stay in 2nd gear unless I get on it hard, it will get fixed soon, we have some very capable people here that really knokw their stuff about these bikes, and hopefully you might be clsoe to one........

The 83 is the best of the 1st Gens............:thumbsup:

I have read about the 2nd gear problem ... is this something that WILL happen or just likely? (like our 2nd gen rear shocks) My understanding is this is a complicated fix (engine removal) I would love to own a 1st gen but don't want a "money pit"

He's asking $2500, I'm thinking of trading my CBR for it. I'm probably getting the worst end of the deal but the 929 needs some fairing work. Like I said, I have not even seen the bike yet. Possible trade.

An 83 in near mint should NOT go for more than $1800.00-$1900.00 you will have to fix 2nd at some point. It happens by 70K if you baby it, IT will happen by 40K if you like to accelerate, and I have test ridden an 83 that had 2nd going out at 28,000 miles. Now if he can prove that the 2nd gear fix was done then it's worth $2500.00. It will cost that or more to fix 2nd gear at a dealer.

The frame will tear near the rear shock, Again that depends on the load, riding style and if you put lateral force on the bike. Never ever move the bike while on the center stand, rotational force there will stres the bike hard. There are other issues as well. Most are due to the age of the bike and things you should replace because they are worn out. (fork springs for example)

That said. I completely LOVE my 83. I just dropped the equivalent of $3000.00 into paint on it, and another few hundred in parts. I have plans of at least another $1000 in parts for upkeep for the next 2 years. That's typical of classic bikes. I would never recommend a 1st gen or any classic bike to anyone that cant work on bikes. These things need someone not afraid of tearing things apart and to work and fix them. IF you did all repairs at a dealer, you will pay for a new BMW K12 within 3 years because of how bad the dealer robber barons are charging.

Owning a 1st gen is like owning a Classic car or hotrod, they can be a lot of work, but they pay off big time in grins and personal satisfaction. I get harley riders giving me big compliments all the time.

Note: older 2nd gens are the same. if it does not have a warranty on it, you will have to fix it yourself or start robbing banks to pay for the dealer to do it.

Is there a 1st gen year model that tends to be the most desireable? talking about "in general" the 1200 vs the 1300 etc...

IMHO after owning quite a few 1st's, and pondering it for a while, a low mile '85VR over serial# 1417 would probably be the most desireable. Bigger trunk and stowage. Detachable bags and trunk. Faster 1200 motor. NO second gear problem. All the electronic play toys. Kinda the best of both worlds..... And I don't own one...yet.. :)

I have had my 83 for over 13 years and have put 99,000 miles on it for a total of 122,000. I have done a lot of mods to mine and really do enjoy the bike. I started having the 2nd gear problem at about 40,000 miles and at 48,000 did the undercut on the gears and put 60,000 more miles on before I put a transmission in out of an 86 engine I had picked up. It was not jumping in 2nd gear but beginning to rattle while idling and on the side stand. If I had put the hardened thrust washer in, I probably would still be using that set up.

I picked up a Corbin seat cheap that I cut down some, cut the centerstand down 1/2 inch and put a steel wheel on the outside of the right leg and routinely spin the bike around on smooth concrete with two fingers on the trunk. It has custom paint with ghost flames and I get a lot of compliments. It is neat to tell someone the bike is over 26 years old and they can not believe it.

Tim made some real good points about having an "old" bike. They are not for everyone. I could not imagine having a bike like this and not being able to do my own maintenance. It breaks my heart to see someone buy one of these bikes and not only know nothing about them, but never have had any mechanical exposure on anything. When I am helping someone on their 1st gen, my motto is to "help them work on their bike".

As has been expressed, these Ventures are great bikes. You would just have to figure out what fits you physically, financially, mechanically and asthetically best. :)

RandyA

IMHO after owning quite a few 1st's, and pondering it for a while, a low mile '85VR over serial# 1417 would probably be the most desireable. Bigger trunk and stowage. Detachable bags and trunk. Faster 1200 motor. NO second gear problem. All the electronic play toys. Kinda the best of both worlds..... And I don't own one...yet.. :)

But I do......I am loving mine again.......:cool10:

Brian

I'm sure it is but I own 2 2nd Gens and am thinking about a 1st gen...

ok and sorry,

Didn't mean to comm of as a smarta** . Didn't know you were looking for one just thopught with the stirring the pot smiley that that was exactly what you were doing. My apologies. As the only vr I've ever owned and the first bike I've had i 20 years, I can say that I still stand beside my first statement. Get the one you prefer and fix whats wrong with her.

Again sorry if I came over wrong.

David

No problem P-man, I guess I knew going in there would be different opinions(thus the pot stir) the thread has been helpful on a number of levels, mainly the 2nd gear issue does not seem to bother me now and there are good points to each of the year models...:hurts: