IGNORED

transmission problem

i see there is lots of problems with 2nd gear but the one i just picked up says on the dash its in 1st gear and it really is pretty happy to be stuck in that gear. Has anyone ran into this before?

Hi Louich, sounds to me like the shifter shaft may be stuck as it goes thru the casing. Are you able to move it at all? How about rocking it back and forth with the motor off and the clutch released? Any action?

Or is it that the gear indicator is not changing out of 1st, but the tranny is actually working OK?

Dan

it wiggles through the case a bit but just jams...i have tried it with it shut off rocking it back and forth and it won't shift gears that way either..clutch is disengaging ok....drove it on trailer and into my shop. im pretty much thinkin im just going to have to tear it to bits and find the problem :)

Hey Louich,

Where abouts in Ontario are you? There are a fair number of us in Ontario, if one of us is close to you, perhaps a second pair of eyes on the problem might help.

Cheers,

Brian H.

i live in arthur and the bike is at my shop in kenilworth. i just don't have really any time to look at it till june....i have a twin turbo 496 camaro to get the engine and transmission into for the hot rod power tour beginning of june.

i have a twin turbo 496 camaro to get the engine and transmission into for the hot rod power tour beginning of june.

Some guys have all the toys and problems, don't they?!!!

well i sorta dug into it a bit tonight...now i have neutral and 1st ....i took the clutch assembly out and behind it i found a pin missing, there is a wheel with 6 pins in it...normally...but mine has 5 and its where the lever grabs to shift the gears, i can't get any other gears as it just jams up, so it looks like its all going to have to come out or does any more of it really come out the side?

well i sorta dug into it a bit tonight...now i have neutral and 1st ....i took the clutch assembly out and behind it i found a pin missing, there is a wheel with 6 pins in it...normally...but mine has 5 and its where the lever grabs to shift the gears, i can't get any other gears as it just jams up, so it looks like its all going to have to come out or does any more of it really come out the side?

Drain the oil

Disconnect the shifter linkage from the shift shaft, under the middle gear assy (middle gear cover will probably need to be removed for doing it).

You will be able to now get at the rest from the right side, by opening the shift shaft mechanism & pulling it out some.

Aside from the missing pin that is probably sitting in the oil pan or oil pump pickup screen, the pin retainer should be replaced.

Re-assemble in reverse order & re-fill the oil.

whats strange is i pull up on the shifter to get first and down is neutral....isn't that ass backwards?

Sounds like the pedal linkage is hooked up wrong, pressing down to go up in gears & up to down shift. Try pressing down to get the other gears, this could be your entire problem......

But it can be fun to watch someone not familiar with the bike. But not so good, as an Anti Theft, as these 1st gens will go 50 Mph in 1st gear.

shifter leaver looks like its on correct. but i will have to see, i tried going down for other gears and it won't go...shifter just jams and won't move. 50mph in first....hmmmm how many rpms they hitting at that speed in first?

shifter leaver looks like its on correct. but i will have to see, i tried going down for other gears and it won't go...shifter just jams and won't move. 50mph in first....hmmmm how many rpms they hitting at that speed in first?

7,500 on mine in 1st & 75 Mph in 2nd......... Haven't tried, topping out the other gears. I wonder if the inner shift linkage is making contact with the stator cover or engine casing in the middle gear area, causing it to stop & only giving you 1st gear. Better check both ends of this linkage, to ensure it is not an adjustment problem (adjust position on the splined shifter shaft under the middle gear). If nether of these shift linkages is setup wrong, you shouldn't be able to pull up to get 1st. One of those linkages must be setup wrong

Edited by Rocket

yup linkage was messed up so i moved it, i put in a pin where the one was missing behind the clutch area, and now i have gears .....wellllllllllllll sorta, things are looking up but 2nd gear is pretty trashed. so i hit 3rd and made the rest of them no problem...i think i could drive it like this alll summer and not worry about it till next winter.