I figured this would be the best place to post this. I have access to an engine from and '83 VR. HOw much trouble would it be to replace the engine from an '86 VR with one from an '83? My bike has 115,000 miles and the '83 has only 24,000. If possible I would like to swap these engines. I know someone has done this, need to know what is involved.

Chuck

Hi,

besides the Fact that the '83 Engine has 100cc less than the '86, it will fit mechanically. There are differences in the Vacuum Pickup for the Spark Advance. If you keep your Carbset, this shouldn't be a Problem at all. The '83 Motor should have the YICS, this could be shut down.

Imho, biggest unknown ist the 2nd Gear Issue. If the '83 Engine hasn't get the Fix, there might be a Problem on the Horizon.

But, why are you considering the Swap of the Engines ? If there is no Problem right now, your '86 Motor should be good for more than twice the Miles you've done.

Muffinman, have a chance to pick up an '83 with the Voyager kit already installed, but has the front end wiped out. I was just concerned about the mileage on my '86 engine. If I get this bike I may just swap the kit onto my bike. Everything I have read this should be a straight forward swap.

Chuck

Guest Popeye

I'd be very careful in evaluating an engine by the 'mileage'.

My 86 went out at 36k, while many others with 100k+ were purring down the road without any problems.

Older scoots with low mileage, especially touring bikes, have probably been stored for long periods. Few folks store their bikes properly.

I got my 86VR at 20 yrs old with 23k miles....it likeky sat in a barn for a few years with no gas & oil settled, leaving internal parts completly dry.

Rust from fuel tank knocked carbs out & huge expense.

If it ain't broke........

Popeye, I hear you. My '86 with 114,xxx miles still runs strong and have no problem with the engine. I guess I'm just not used to bikes running that many miles with no serious problems. If I can get the '83 I will probally just remove the Voyager kit and install it on my "86. Then keep the "83 for parts.

Chuck