IGNORED

My wife’s first solo in 30 years

mrc

Over the last few weeks I have been teaching my wife to ride a bike again. She road one of my bikes about 30 yrs ago. She only road a couple of times, so she was a little nervous. She did her M1 beginners a month ago and we have been using my son’s Honda 600 Shadow to do a 100 stop and starts with me on the back. I told her once she is comfortable stopping and starting with the two of us, it will be a peace of cake alone. :motorcycle:

This afternoon she said she was ready, so we fired up both bikes and headed out to practice on the back roads solo. She did great. :thumbsup2: She was really nervous but we took our time and she road for about an hour. She does the official training course next weekend at the collage and will get her M2 level when she completes it.

Now the best part of this is :stickpoke:teasing my son. He’s a basket case :yikes: :crying:, I told him to take some pics of it while it was in one peace. He has no sense of humour and I don’t cut him any slack. :witch_brew:

Back to the main topic, she handled the bike very well but does find it heavy. She is not a big lady and I think it is smaller the than my old Honda 500 custom. Is the bike to big to learn on? My son had no problem but he is stronger and has about 60 lbs on her. What size of bike did the ladies in this club/form learn on? Do you think I should find something smaller or should we just take our time with this one? I think :think::think: she is just nervous about dropping it because everything is overwhelming at the start. She has to concentrate on everything until it becomes more natural. After she rides more she won’t find herself having to try and think of everything that has to be done while driving.

Another option would be something from the Suzuki Boulevard line... Those have a really low seat height, relatively low C.G. and are pretty easy to handle.

Downside is that some of the smaller ones are single cylinder, but as a bonus they are cheap and light.

My cousin is about 5'1", and maybe 110lbs soaking wet. Has a ~600cc one (I think)... But anyways she has no problems at all, rides it all the time and had little experience when she started on this one she's on now...

YOU GO GIRL :happy65::happy34:ANOTHER LADY RIDER :dancefool::sign woo hoo: I agree, any bike right now will feel heavy. As confidence builds and concentration becomes more natural and relaxed it wont feel so heavy / big. Consistency on ONE bike is better too--see how you feel after more ride practice and that course at the college. Sit on the bike in the garage and just rock the weight of it gently from side to side, feel the weight transfer from one leg to another--become "one" with the bike and it's weight GOOD LUCK

never ride faster than your guardian angel:2133:can fly

I bought my wife a 535 Virago a few years ago and she just hated it. It has more rake to the front end than some of the other bikes and the throttle was very sensitive. I think they are great looking bikes and I thought a perfect size for her but she just really didn't like the way it handled. Now these issues might not apply to anybody else, folks are all different but I would suggest that whatever you choose, try to let her ride it before buying. I know that it may not be possible though.

Good for her!

A Honda Rebel is a good bike to learn on.

I wish my wife was into riding. She is content to sit on the back with me, and just enjoy the sights. She loves to ride, just not drive.

I used to race motocross, and she had her own YZ125. She could jump, hit the doubles, tabletops and whoops with no problem, and loves to ride offroad, just not on the street. I had gotten a really good deal on a Shadow 500 a few years back, so I bought it for her...but she wasn't interested, so I sold it.

When we got back to biking a few years ago, the first bike had to be one that we both could ride solo, and be big enough to ride 2-up comfortably, and we ended up with a Honda Shadow Spirit 1100. Denise rode that thing around and around the yard, up and down the driveway, stopped and started a LOT, and never really had trouble. I told her she was doing the hardest part of riding, going slow for so long, but it was good practice, and she did ride a few times herself.

Then she took the training course, and they used bikes in the 175 cc range for that, and she came home thinking that the 1100 was too big for her, that she wasn't really in control. So we went looking for a smaller bike for her, ending up with a Honda VLX 600. It was really low and light compared to the 1100, and she rode it a fair bit.

Then came the RSV, and the 1100 went down the road, and she never got on the 600 again. Loves the back of the RSV, and doesn't care if she rides her own. Both Hondas are now gone, and the RSV is racking on the miles.

The 600 you have should be a really good learners bike though. If you want to look at something else, I'd suggest a Suzuki Boulevard in the 800 class. We would have gone that route instead of the 600, but they were just out at the time, and used ones were pretty much unavailable. Just my thoughts.....

Good for her!

A Honda Rebel is a good bike to learn on.

I wish my wife was into riding. She is content to sit on the back with me, and just enjoy the sights. She loves to ride, just not drive.

I used to race motocross, and she had her own YZ125. She could jump, hit the doubles, tabletops and whoops with no problem, and loves to ride offroad, just not on the street. I had gotten a really good deal on a Shadow 500 a few years back, so I bought it for her...but she wasn't interested, so I sold it.

OK, so now I understand whats so special about the 1st gens... room for 2 on the back... my question is who drives? :rotf: God Bless. Mike

First, CONGRATULATIONS :bighug:and welcome to the women's world of riding

your own!

I learned on a Honda Shadow 600 DLX VLX and loved her. Within months of riding with the guys here (I won't mention names, Muffinman) I felt I needed a bigger bike. And I did because I could toss my little "Nina" around like pizza dough.

If you are petite the Shadow will be perfect for you. I loved mine !

Happy trails and ride safe.

Brandy

My wife of 30 years started her riding on a harley 883 hugger . this was after takeing msf classe had a little trouble but after a year of trying to keep up with me we are going tuesday to buy her a dyna low rider . still loves the back of the venture on long trips look at my posts she is the one that knits while riding..lol. :mo money:

Guest tx2sturgis

My cousin is about 5'1", and maybe 110lbs soaking wet. Has a ~600cc

You forgot to mention whether she's single??

I'm SURE it was an oversight.

;)

Actually it was an oversight since I'm NOT really into dating my cousins the thought hadn't crossed my mind :-P

She is single, but she lives west of Louisville, KY... Which is a bit of a drive from Lubbock.

You forgot to mention whether she's single??

I'm SURE it was an oversight.

;)