IGNORED

86 & up final gear drive

I got a new rear tire for my 87 xvz1300. before putting it back together I realized the splines on the wheel were shot and the splines on the outward plate aren't much better. I figured no problemo I've got one on the 84 xvz1200 parts bike that I'll just swap out.

Guess what, the wheel spline gear would work but the differentials are differant. The outer spline plates have differant bolt patterns.

So, now I'm in need of either an entire final gear drive differential or just the outer plate if anyone has one they've dissected already. (86 and Up 1st gen XVZ1300).

If any one has got one laying around they don't need and don't mind giving a fellow member a hand send me a PM. let me know what you want for it.

The one on the wheel you can change without a problem. The one on the final drive is part of the ring gear. Change it out and you will need to set the gear lash by measuring and inserting appropriate shims. Not for the faint of heart.

We've got another thread going on replacing 1st gen final drives with a 2nd gen drive. That's what I ended up doing on my 89 when the pinion gear broke. I'd start looking for someone that triked a 2nd gen and wants the final drive out from under foot.

Having said all that, you are welcome to my busted 89. The ring gear is good. You pay shipping. Oh, the bearings are shot too, so you would need to disassemble the gear from the plate and install a new bearing.

Edited by MiCarl

If any one has got one laying around they don't need and don't mind giving a fellow member a hand send me a PM. let me know what you want for it.

I think Masterguns still has a good one for a Mk2, $75 + shipping. I got his Mk1 rear pumpkin, a little while ago.