IGNORED

how many miles in one day

murph35640

1071 miles in 19.5 hours, slept a 7 hours and made it to Oxford, AL for a total of 1507 in 36 hours.

Will be heading out Friday on a trip that should be about 4200 miles in 5 days. Would try for 5000 in 5 days, but two days will be riding with my brother. He doesn't go with that kind of riding.

We will see how the Butt Butler works out - and the new auxilliary gas tank. The extra 3 gallons should allow me to do about 300 miles before stopping for fuel. I think the limitation will be the 45+ year old bladder. We shall see.

RR

IBA 33089

Edited by RedRider

1071 miles in 19.5 hours, slept a 7 hours and made it to Oxford, AL for a total of 1507 in 36 hours.

Will be heading out Friday on a trip that should be about 4200 miles in 5 days. Would try for 5000 in 5 days, but two days will be riding with my brother. He doesn't go with that kind of riding.

We will see how the Butt Butler works out - and the new auxilliary gas tank. The extra 3 gallons should allow me to do about 300 miles before stopping for fuel. I think the limitation will be the 45+ year old bladder. We shall see.

RR

IBA 32019

Hey Jeff dont forget to check life of your tire,last time you are run out of rubber somwhere in ohio. Have safe trip.:happy34:

Oh yeah, I will. After the potential disaster in Ohio, I had the relatively new Dunlop go out while riding the twisties in WV. That was a scary blowout in a corner at about 45 MPH - pulling my trailer. The WV blowout ended up costing about $600 (towing, hotel, etc.) - that was an expensive rear tire. But it certainly could have been worse.

The Dunlop 404 rear tire on the bike has about 500 miles on it. I will be checking the pressure regularly (every gas stop) for the first 1000 miles or so and then every day riding after that. I have installed an aux electrical hookup with a 10 amp fuse for the travel compressor. Need to test that tonight.

I want my next rear tire change to scheduled; not an emergency.

RR

A smooth 1000 miles to Faribault Mn.

Left at 10:00 at night. 18 or so hours later i was there.

did about 100 miles in rain starting in hanibal Mo. and on into Iowa.

The worst part was going through St. Louis in rush hour traffic on I-40

Did you know you can fall asleep on a bike? that will get your attention!!!

I did get the "IRON BUT". but not the iron but award. (IBA)

Four days later i did it again coming home; all but the rain.

Eldon Mo to Empire Co. 830 miles in about 13 hours. End of July, 95 degrees. I wanted to camp in the mountains. Felt like I was drunk when I got off the bike. Did 2500 miles in 5 days on that trip. The Venture was almost new then. When I got done it felt like my bike instead of a big old heavy thing.

Most for us is around 500 on a good day. Any more and my ears start to hear all kinds of negative things about my welfare and future sex life.:D The 100-10 rule is a good one for your health. The evil-ones ankles swelled up once from one day of pushing it. Since then we have added extra adjustable footrests for her. Vowed to never do that again. I'd miss her and I can't cook. :confused24::D

Did an Iron Butt saddle sore and a bun burner last August, part "a" of the trip was Paris, Ky to Laramie Wyoming, 1290 miles, in 20 hours, finished the trip (part "b")to Salt Lake City at a total of 1734 in 29 hours. If the VR had held more fuel it would have been a better mph average, stopping every 125/150 was the pits. We did all but 2 stops and never left the saddle, splash and run.

Most for us is around 500 on a good day. Any more and my ears start to hear all kinds of negative things about my welfare and future sex life.:D The 100-10 rule is a good one for your health. The evil-ones ankles swelled up once from one day of pushing it. Since then we have added extra adjustable footrests for her. Vowed to never do that again. I'd miss her and I can't cook. :confused24::D

Exactly! Same for Robin and myself. No more 500 + miles for me. I enjoy the other benefits that come with marriage too much.

Alan and I did a splash and run ride a few years back trying to get from one side of Australia to the other (Perth -Melbourne) racing against time changes to make it in time to get the bikes on the ferry to Tasmania. :scorched: Only time off the bikes was to pay for fuel, or go to the toilet. Out on the Nullabor the livestock is many and varied. Bad enough we were dodging trucks (42 wheel road trains) but we had kangaroos, eagles (on road kill) foxes and rabbits coming at us :duck:Three b****y days of riding sunrise to just after sunset 8/900mile per day, but we made it :happy65:NEVER want to do that again. I did crazy things to stay awake: yelled at the back of Alans' bike in front of me, or sang at the top of my voice

never ride faster than your guardian angel:2133:can fly

Did 1140 in about 21 hours for the Saddle Sore thing a couple of years ago. I was on my RSV and my buddy was on his Valkyrie. Long, fun day. I was on my stock seat. So, yes, my butt was a bit sore.

I wanted to get the ride done before I had back surgery because I didn't know if I would have been able to do it after surgery in 2007.

My spinal fusion surgery was a complete success (i.e. not a bit of pain anymore). So, I'm looking to do the 1500 miles in 36 hours ride sometime.

LA to Albuquerque, 790 Mi.

But!!! no cushy pillowtop Venture seat.

This was in 1974 on a chopped out Sportster with no shocks and a seat that had something like 1/2" of padding. Peed blood for three days.

Oh the things we can do when we are young and dumb!

Marquette Michigan to Lansing, MI (to pick up my passenger) then onto Nashville, TN. ~950 miles. (~19 hrs)

Then, over the course of 5 days just outside of nashville, rode another 800 - across the state, through the smokies, etc.

Then, back to Marquette, via Lansing.

All on a 1982 Goldwing Interstate. :)

Yee-haw.

P.S. I'll have to remember that 100 + 10 rule for future distance rides...

I rode 935 miles from Taos NM to SoCal on my VFR recently, but I just realized that back in the 80's when I was younger, and stoopider, I rode non-stop from Austin Texas to Louisville, Ky, on a shovelhead Sportster, just over 1,000 miles.

When I finally stopped and got a motel, I sat down in the bath, and was still vibrating so much it was like being in a Jacuzzi.:scared:

LA to Albuquerque, 790 Mi.

But!!! no cushy pillowtop Venture seat.

This was in 1974 on a chopped out Sportster with no shocks and a seat that had something like 1/2" of padding. Peed blood for three days.

Oh the things we can do when we are young and dumb!

I'm amazed you didn't loosen any teeth on that ride.

I was peeing (non visable) blood one time after a 900 mile overnight ride back from Missouri. I didn't know it, but traces of blood showed up on the test strip when I had a scheduled checkup a couple of days later. Nurse told me it was probably from riding. But she probably hated me and still sent me to have a cystoscopy. Man, I wouldn't wish that on nobody! Turns out the doctor found nothing wrong just that my kidneys were most likely shaken up a little.

And then I go out a couple years ago and buy a vibrating Sportster. I guess I got a brain injury in that long ride too. Ha!

I rode from Hilton Head, South Carolina to South Houston, TX on my FZ1. That was approx 1200 miles.

On the Venture I rode from Deadwood, SD to South Houston, TX. That was approx 1600 miles.

I didn't plan on a single day trip on either occasion and did a lot of sight-seeing the first half of the day so the time it took is not that impressive.

About 22-hours on the FZ1 and about 26 on the Venture (including a 3-hour nap at a rest area).

I rode from Hilton Head, South Carolina to South Houston, TX on my FZ1. That was approx 1200 miles.

About 22-hours on the FZ1 .

My hat is off to you on that one!Anyone that can stay on an FZ for over 12 hours is definitely certifiable!