IGNORED

Words of Wisdom for 1st Gen owners...

Skid

This weekend I discovered the rubber gourmet had wore out and let the screw pull through. The battery cover (or fake gas tank cover) flipped up and hit me in the face. This is Not a good thing going down the highway at 75 mph. Luckily I caught mine and got stopped with no danage. Make sure you check this and add a washer to prevent this from happening to you. I added a dime size washer tio mine to keep it down at high speeds..... Here the pics.

1 pic is the rubber gourmet

2 pic is the washer added to the screw

3 pic is everything put together.

4 pic is closer shot of everything.

Skid, I have heard of the tank cover coming loose before. I remember someone telling the story of picking up a bike they had just bought and when hitting the highway the front came loose and popped up in his face.

Glad you were able to keep everything under control and did not loose the piece to the road. :clap2:

RandyA

Mine broke out completely.

I rectified the problem with an "L" bracket that prevents the cover from moving forward and unlatching. Otherwise, yes it will come loose on the highway causing you to say "what the heck!"

You will also notice that the lid has been broke and drilled for machine screws, and the.....

I thought when I read the title you had come to your senses and were going to say buy a second gen.

I thought when I read the title you had come to loose your senses and were going to say buy a second gen.

You missed a word there Redneck, just being friendly and inserting it for you.

I think this is the same thing that happened to Lonestar (JB) and I when we rode a couple of weeks ago. He caught his too. But I think his was the bracket holes. Anyway, I went home and checked mine out to make sure I am good to go. I am not as good a catch as y'all.

Mine has had a big washer since day one..........the plastic was cracked so I put a new piece of plastic in with 2 part epoxy, and just for good measure glued the big washer to the top of it.........aint gonna happen to me.............No sir.............I hate when parts start falling of like them other bikes do........wont mention HD........nope, not bashing, just the facts mam, just the facts.:stirthepot::stirthepot:

Mine has had a big washer since day one..........the plastic was cracked so I put a new piece of plastic in with 2 part epoxy, and just for good measure glued the big washer to the top of it.:stirthepot::stirthepot:

All three of the 1st gens I had needed this done - works great!

On your first pic it looks like your crush sleeve is also missing. You might want to replace it before tightening down on that screw and washer, or you're going to be doing a little ABS repair. That sleeve keeps pressure off the ABS tab, and the screw originally came with a washer.....

On your first pic it looks like your crush sleeve is also missing. You might want to replace it before tightening down on that screw and washer, or you're going to be doing a little ABS repair. That sleeve keeps pressure off the ABS tab, and the screw originally came with a washer.....

Do you have a pic of that crush sleeve and exactly where does it go?:confused24:

Mine has a washer also and the sleeve. Skids its like a metal tube that fits in the rubber gromett and the screw passes through it it keeps the screw from crushing to tight.

Thanks Mike, I'll look for one....

Does anyone have an extra?

Do you have a pic of that crush sleeve and exactly where does it go?:confused24:

Here's a pic of a chin scoop sleeve. It's slightly bigger than the one used in the tab gromet. It ran about a buck from my local Yamaha dealer so they probably have the sleeve for the tab too. I'd get the sleeve, gromet, and screw and replace them all.

Edited by Condor

Surprise surprise,

Within two weeks of being a 1st time Venture owner my false tank did exactly the same thing (I also had my father in law on board). I managed to hold it down and pull over but what a treat that was (new bike flying apart)

I had a few large diameter flat washers in my tool kit and it hasn't come off since.

Did you add this little tidbit to the tech section??

Ed

The battery cover (or fake gas tank cover) flipped up and hit me in the face. This is Not a good thing going down the highway at 75 mph. Luckily I caught mine and got stopped with no danage.

If it's flippping up, it is not securely fastened at the front end (maybe time for a new rubber mount). Mine is solidly hooked into the rubber mount in the front & under the front of the seat. There has been no bolt in there for more than 2 years & I have done runs up to 110 MPH. There has not been any slippage of it, out of position whenever I check it.

:2cents:

If it's flippping up, it is not securely fastened at the front end (maybe time for a new rubber mount). Mine is solidly hooked into the rubber mount in the front & under the front of the seat. There has been no bolt in there for more than 2 years & I have done runs up to 110 MPH. There has not been any slippage of it, out of position whenever I check it.

:2cents:

Some of us take up more room than others in the saddle. We end up putting leg pressure against the cover and it will slide forward while riding. Don't ask me how I know that... :)