IGNORED

84 Venture poping noise

I have a Venture Royale that I picked up for $300.00 and is in pretty decent shape. I also ride a 1200 Aspencade Goldwing that I have done alot of work on. Put a new battery in,new fuel filter and lines,plugs,chacked air filter and it fired up on the first spin. Put seafoam in and ran on center stand for awhile. Great throttle response and good idle only when it idles there is an occasional pop coming from the rear cylinders in the exhaust area.Any thoughts on what it could be? Maybe leaking from exhaust flange? I cant ride it yet as I need to fix the sightglass on clutch master, repair rear brakes and master and fix the fan. Fan works if unplug and ground out so may be temp sending unit. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

If you drop the canister, order 6 new Seals ahead of time. Most likley they are shot. Seals are made of some Soft material. Also there is a part inside the canistor that is rivited into place, ( sort of a center devider ) which come's loose and Rattles.

Very common. Fix is cut the thing open, remover the loose part and have it re - welded shut. ( Stainless Steel welding )

I reccomend completly draining the tank, best to remove petcock, to clean out the bottom of fuel tank. ( Screen inside tank, on the petcock, may also need cleaning or replacement )

Also, pull out the Carb Diaphrams, and inspect for holes and tears in the thin rubber diaphram material. ( very common problem, due to age )

Also, going over EVERY Electrical connector ( ALL of them ) on the entire bike, with Electrical Contact Cleaner, is a good thing to do.

The TCI, Ignition Unit, is famous for getting moisture inside, causeing ignition problems. Remove the unit, and dry in a oven at about 110 deg F. for a couple hours.

Also, Syncing the Carbs is a big deal on these bikes.

I have a Venture Royale that I picked up for $300.00 and is in pretty decent shape. Put a new battery in,new fuel filter and lines,plugs,chacked air filter and it fired up on the first spin. Put seafoam in and ran on center stand for awhile. Great throttle response and good idle only when it idles there is an occasional pop coming from the rear cylinders in the exhaust area.Any thoughts on what it could be? Maybe leaking from exhaust flange? I cant ride it yet as I need to fix the sightglass on clutch master, repair rear brakes and master and fix the fan. Fan works if unplug and ground out so may be temp sending unit. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

You stole it, at that price.......... Fan kicks in, very close to the guage red area, on many of these bikes. But normally only kicks in, when sitting in traffic & bike is not moving. It is thought, by some members,that there is an calibration error, between the guage & sending unit........ Also check the drain / fill valve above the oil filter. OFF should be at the 2 O'clock postion, when looking at it. If it is in the ON position, the thermostat is bypassed.

:080402gudl_prv:

Well, I did some research into this last fall when I had one to repair.

The OEM s/g part itself, which is some kind of soft plastic btw, is no longer available from Yamaha so far as I could determine.

The best solution I came up with for an alternate source for a sight glass was a 17mm glass watch crystal. My plan was to glue it into place with an oil & gasoline proof silicone. (I checked with the manufacturer of the silicone to confirm it would also resist brake fluid)

The problem was, that I couldn't find a local source or make an order for 17mm glass watch crystals make sense in quantities of half a dozen or so. To make it worth the shipping costs, I'd need a larger quantity order.

Being a frugal yet determined sort, I found some microscope slide glass and fashioned a rudimentary glass lathe to turn a rough but functional glass disc, which I then siliconed into place.

I wasn't terribly pleased with the aesthetics of my repair, but it did prove that my strategy works. It holds the fluid in the reservoir and you can see its level through the glass. As I say, it isn't pretty though. A proper glass disc would be much better looking.

I was wondering if there are lots of failing m/c sight glasses out there that could somehow be matched up with a quantity order of 17mm watch crystals ?

Any interest ?

Brian H.

Edited by 6m459
grammar