IGNORED

Some help please?

bendtdj

Howdy;

I have had my 1984 Venture for a month now and have been able to get only 45 miles on it! Even though just a few miles, I LOVE this bike. It is my first full dresser. It has been too cold. I added a photo taken by the previous owner to my profile. I don't have any that I have taken yet.

I have been looking through the service manual and I can not find what I am looking for. Did these all come with the intercom hook-up? I have seen what looks to be a receptical for an audio cable near the radio unit under the redio display unit. Is this where the intercom hooks up? If so, would any of hte oh so intelligent and knowledabe people here have any suggestions as to where to get the cable and head sets needed to make it work?

Thanks,

Dave

Boomer,

Leave it the the Navy. By your handle, I'm guessing missle sub Chief. COB perhaps? Spent my time in the USMC, field artillery and the South Dakota Army National Guard, both artillery and combat engineers. I appreciate all the great info I have found on this site as well as all the good natured bantering.

Dave

Boomer,

Leave it the the Navy. By your handle, I'm guessing missle sub Chief. COB perhaps? Spent my time in the USMC, field artillery and the South Dakota Army National Guard, both artillery and combat engineers. I appreciate all the great info I have found on this site as well as all the good natured bantering.

Dave

Correct on the Missile Sub part....No Go on the COB....Turned the job down as I am not proficient at being politically correct nor planting my lips on Officers buttocks.

Boomer.....a conventional Machinist Mate with an unconventional propensity for getting in the s**t.

Howdy;

Did these all come with the intercom hook-up? I have seen what looks to be a receptical for an audio cable near the radio unit under the redio display unit. Is this where the intercom hooks up? If so, would any of hte oh so intelligent and knowledabe people here have any suggestions as to where to get the cable and head sets needed to make it work?

Thanks,

Dave

This was an option, for these bikes. There is 2@ 5 pin DIN jacks for the intercom plug ins, on the amp.

Below is a link for the interface cables (better price than at J&M directly) & you will need the 5 pin lower cords, for any headsets you decide on.........http://www.sierra-mc.com/search.asp?pg=1&stext=yv-41&sprice=&stype=&scat=

I believe that all the amps have the mic hook-up underneath. You would need a jumper cord to go to the back for the passenger, there is also a rear control unit so they can control their own volume.

Dan

I believe that all the amps have the mic hook-up underneath. You would need a jumper cord to go to the back for the passenger, there is also a rear control unit so they can control their own volume.

Dan

I already posted the link for the headset interface kit needed, rear control is only on the Mk2 (86 - 93), not the Mk1 Royale.

For a 1st Gen a length of good quality string and 2 tin cans should provide a good communication set up.........:crackup:

Boomer.....who's just yanking yer chain and knows that help for you is fast on it's way.

Won't work if you want to talk to them 2nd Gens.

They can't keep up and break the string!!!:confused24:

Thanks for the info.

My Venture is a standard model. It has an AM-FM radio. I noticed a round hole in the plastic to the inboard side from the radio cover. Whould this be where the cable was located origially?

Dave

Thanks for the info.

My Venture is a standard model. It has an AM-FM radio. I noticed a round hole in the plastic to the inboard side from the radio cover. Whould this be where the cable was located origially?

Dave

This kit is normally for the Royale with the built in sound system. But is it, an oem type radio added in, or aftermarket, on your bike??? There has been a few "Venture standards" that someone had put the optional radio into the bike. I pass the riders interface cable through that hole & have it end by the back edge of the fairig, where I plug my headset lower cord into it.

The YV-41 kit was an option for the OEM sound system, on the 83-85 Royales. Many bikes did not have it installed, we get ??? about it from time to time. I found about this a few years ago & installed it on my bike.

Won't work if you want to talk to them 2nd Gens.

They can't keep up and break the string!!!:confused24:

Are you sure you 1st genr's are not cutting up the string yourselves to use to tie together these antiques as they fall apart ? Bailing wire getting to expensive now these days for you ole timers ! :smile5:

BEER30

Thanks for all the responses. I am undecided what I am going to do as of yet. I guess I will keep looking and trying to learn as I go. This site is such a great help to me. This is only the third bike I ahve owned and both the others were Hondas. Need to get some decent weather on a weekend to take a longer ride with the Venture. So far i love it.

Dave

My 83 is a Standard and for many years my wife and have used a Chatterbox set-up. In fact, I was having a connection problem with the one I have had for years and went to my local independent motorcycle shop and bought the main box and two open face headsets for $30. I have the box mounted on my wifes helmet with velcro and a short wire that connects us that I got at Radio Shack for a few bucks. This is the older 40 series and they were notorous for eatin the little batteries so years ago I got a battery holder from Radio Shack and wired into the box and now the two AAA batteries last for a long time.

If you go on ebay there are several versions of intercom systems that come up and sometimes they go pretty cheap. The wireless ones can go for $400 to $500 for a set, but with those you can talk to other bikes also.

RandyA

I just went to ebay and this is a good price on this unit. You will also need headsets, according to whether you use open or full face helmets. The headsets are usually around $25 each and the cable around $10.

RandyA

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Chatterbox-CB-50-Tandem-Pro-Motorcycle-Intercom-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQhashZitem300306664539QQitemZ300306664539QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories