IGNORED

Motorcycle Accident Scene Management

Freebird

Like most everyone else I have seen, or come upon, my share of accidents and a number of them have been fatal.. I had the opportunity to take the Red Cross training in CPR and have acutally used the training a number of times.

All that being said here is a situation that occured last fall not to far from our home. A deer jumped out and ran into the side of a biker. THe biker was only going about 15 MPH but the impact still forced the guy into on-coming traffic and he was literally ran over by a truck. The victim was trapped under the truck and in getting there vital parts of his body were smashed and he was obviously a goner..

The riders wallet and paperwork were laying seperated from his body and he was less then a mile from home. A discussion took place as to whether or not his family should be called to the scene..

That is the question that I would like to hear some opinions on from our group.. If you end up being the first on the scene or there way before "Professional" help arrives do you make the phone call to family,, more pointedly - if the person has expired do you notify them????

I am really curious what everyone thinks

'Puc

Like most everyone else I have seen, or come upon, my share of accidents and a number of them have been fatal.. I had the opportunity to take the Red Cross training in CPR and have acutally used the training a number of times.

All that being said here is a situation that occured last fall not to far from our home. A deer jumped out and ran into the side of a biker. THe biker was only going about 15 MPH but the impact still forced the guy into on-coming traffic and he was literally ran over by a truck. The victim was trapped under the truck and in getting there vital parts of his body were smashed and he was obviously a goner..

The riders wallet and paperwork were laying seperated from his body and he was less then a mile from home. A discussion took place as to whether or not his family should be called to the scene..

That is the question that I would like to hear some opinions on from our group.. If you end up being the first on the scene or there way before "Professional" help arrives do you make the phone call to family,, more pointedly - if the person has expired do you notify them????

'Puc

I wouldn't dream of doing that. I doubt the last thing a family member would like to see is their loved one splatted under a truck.

BTW, I was an EMT for many years and I've been at the scene where a relative arrived before we could put the person in a body bag. It was very traumatic for them.

Some very good info in the article. I have two comments however.

The very first thing you do at an accident scene, especially if you are first on scene is to STOP. Take a deep breath, look around.....make sure the scene is safe for you, take another breath and do it again (it may seem like an eternity especilly if people are screaming or crying). If you don't do this you may end up a victim yourself or making irrational decsions and endangering the safety of others.

I have conducted driver training ("four-wheelers") for a number of years and asked what they would do if they came accross a biker down. Every time I asked the question the response was a categorical, check the rider, see if he's OK of course. To which I respond.....that's wrong. Check the bike.....hit the KILL SWITCH. Make the scene safe for all.:337:

Hey, Ed - you are totally correct on your comment. The one thing I did take from that class was taking a minute and couple of deep breaths - I have a habit of "jumping" into something - and I learned very quickly that that is the incorrect solution in an emergency situation.

'Puc

I am pretty sure I wouldn't call family, I'd leave that up to the professionals. I know I sure wouldn't want to see a loved one expired on the side of the road. About 25 years ago, I was the first on the scene where a 16 year old girl overturned a car about a mile from my house. She wasn't hurt badly and she requested I call her parents and notify them of her accident. That was in the days before cell phones and as soon as police arrived, I went home and did as she requested but I was able to re assure the parents that she only had very minor scrapes.