IGNORED

Plug in has died

Guest 05RSMVTEXAN

Guest 05RSMVTEXAN

My 12V plug in for accessories has died. I went to plug in my little air compressor and it wouldn't work. I then tried other plug in accessoroies and they were dead. Could this be the fuse? Everything else on the bike is fine. Thanks.

Edited by 05RSMVTEXAN

Guest Lightnen

I'd say that the outlet on fairing will not take a little air-compressor. I installed another on left side between driver & pass. seats there is a spot for another outlet and use a 20 or 25 amp fuse for it..

The stock power outlets on the RSV ABSOLUTELY will NOT handle an air compressor. Both of them are only 5 amp fused (and equally small wires). If you want to use one of those compressors, install a new power outlet in the hole under the left rear side of the rider's seat (just remove the rubber cap already there), use 14AWG wire and a 15 amp fuse.

Goose

The stock power outlets on the RSV ABSOLUTELY will NOT handle an air compressor. Both of them are only 5 amp fused (and equally small wires). If you want to use one of those compressors, install a new power outlet in the hole under the left rear side of the rider's seat (just remove the rubber cap already there), use 14AWG wire and a 15 amp fuse.

Goose

:confused07::confused: Huh? "Both of them"?

Goose

This is really good to know. I carry a small compressor with me now, and apparently cannot use it until I put in a new outlet. I think I will just make an adapter to connect with the battery tender hookup.

RR

This is really good to know. I carry a small compressor with me now, and apparently cannot use it until I put in a new outlet. I think I will just make an adapter to connect with the battery tender hookup.

RR

I don't know about your battery tender plug, but most of them are small wires and have a small in-line fuse - they are only intended for about a 3 amp load, and one of those compressors generally pulls about 12 amps. IMHO the only safe way to use one on a bike is to install a new power circuit with big enough wire and fuse to handle that load.

And yes, there are two auxiliary power circuits and plugs on the Venture. One is the cigarette lighter-type plug in the fairing, and the other is a white two-pin plug next to the battery. Both fuses are inside the right lower fairing. Here is a thread where I described a way to use that second plug: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20166&highlight=plug

Goose

I replaced the 5 amp fuse with a 10 amp fuse and I can run my compressor. I would not reccomend using it for high draw accessory for long periods but a compressor for a short time is fine.

I wish you the best of luck, Redneck, but I cannot agree with you. Very dangerous to ever put a bigger fuse in an existing circuit. The fuse is there to protect the wires, and the wires cannot handle the increased load without overheating, possibly causing a fire.

And using one of those dinky compressors to do more than add a pound or two of air to a tire takes a LONG time (in "burn up the wires" time).

Goose

And yes, there are two auxiliary power circuits and plugs on the Venture. One is the cigarette lighter-type plug in the fairing, and the other is a white two-pin plug next to the battery. Both fuses are inside the right lower fairing. Here is a thread where I described a way to use that second plug: http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20166&highlight=plug

Goose

:doh: I am aware of this other wire, but I was thinking power port.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Guest 05RSMVTEXAN

A long while back a fellow at a Quick Lube place was telling me about fuses. He was messing around with my fuses and pulled the one that was blown and replaced it with a higher amp he had laying around. Told me it would be no problem. I pulled away and started driving. Next red light I noticed smoke pouring out from under the hood. Sure enough I had an electrical fire! It was a mess! I learned a valuable and costly (The employee denied doing it.) lesson.

I wish you the best of luck, Redneck, but I cannot agree with you. Very dangerous to ever put a bigger fuse in an existing circuit. The fuse is there to protect the wires, and the wires cannot handle the increased load without overheating, possibly causing a fire.

And using one of those dinky compressors to do more than add a pound or two of air to a tire takes a LONG time (in "burn up the wires" time).

Goose

05RSMVTEXAN, if you going to modify your lighter circuit you might consider #14 awg wire and 15 amp fuse liked mentioned, but wire it directly back to battery, via fuse block by battery. This will eliminate the ignition switch turn on as well as the high current. The other advantage is that the lighter circuit is always hot and now you can make adapter or wire direct, a male lighter plug to your battery tender or adapter for standard battery charge to charge battery.

05RSMVTEXAN, if you going to modify your lighter circuit you might consider #14 awg wire and 15 amp fuse liked mentioned, but wire it directly back to battery, via fuse block by battery. This will eliminate the ignition switch turn on as well as the high current. The other advantage is that the lighter circuit is always hot and now you can make adapter or wire direct, a male lighter plug to your battery tender or adapter for standard battery charge to charge battery.

There is no reason to consider modifying the existing power circuit in the fairing. Just putting in a new plug in the hole that already exists behind the seat is so easy I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't do it if they need the power. You can pick up a plug at any auto parts store for under $10 and some wire with a 20A inline fuse for about $5 - Shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to install. Then you have an option - if you WANT something to turn off with the key, you plug it into the fairing; if you want it to stay powered, use the plug behind the seat. I find it really handy to charge my cell phone by plugging it in to the rear socket and then just letting it sit in the bag behind my backrest. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Guest 05RSMVTEXAN

Goose you always are very helpful. I appreciate you man. I hope to get down your way one day and meet up.

There is no reason to consider modifying the existing power circuit in the fairing. Just putting in a new plug in the hole that already exists behind the seat is so easy I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't do it if they need the power. You can pick up a plug at any auto parts store for under $10 and some wire with a 20A inline fuse for about $5 - Shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to install. Then you have an option - if you WANT something to turn off with the key, you plug it into the fairing; if you want it to stay powered, use the plug behind the seat. I find it really handy to charge my cell phone by plugging it in to the rear socket and then just letting it sit in the bag behind my backrest. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose