IGNORED

Lost 5th gear

Guest bakers517

Guest bakers517

Venture Riders,

I just lost 5th gear on my 2003 Venture. Has anyone ever had any trouble with the transmission?

Bakers517

Venture Riders,

I just lost 5th gear on my 2003 Venture. Has anyone ever had any trouble with the transmission?

Bakers517

If it's a similar problem to the 1st gens, you lost a shift pin in the clutch housing. It is a easy fix. But if it is still under warranty, let the dealer fix it, as it should be covered.

Guest bakers517

Rocket,

Thanks for the reply. I sure hope that is the problem. To fix the transmission requires them to remove and break open the engine and I really don't want that done.

Thanks again,

Bakers517

Rocket,

Thanks for the reply. I sure hope that is the problem. To fix the transmission requires them to remove and break open the engine and I really don't want that done.

Thanks again,

Bakers517

Nope, open clutch cover only, may need to pull clutch basket to get access to the star washer & pins. Oh they may need to pull oil pan too, if one of the pins is missing. It would probably be at the oil pickup screen.

Venture Riders,

Bakers517

Oh no! So it's second gear on the first generations and fifth on the second generations that I have to worry about? ......LOL

Dog

Guest bakers517

Rocket,

I have one more question. It popped out of 5th while driving down the road and would never go back into gear. The o/d light comes on but it will not go into gear. Does this sound like the same thing? And yes,,I will let the dealer fix it, but I sure hate to have him tear it down.

Thanks,

Bakers517

Rocket,

I have one more question. It popped out of 5th while driving down the road and would never go back into gear. The o/d light comes on but it will not go into gear. Does this sound like the same thing? And yes,,I will let the dealer fix it, but I sure hate to have him tear it down.

Thanks,

Bakers517

What I suspect is the shift pin retainer has bent an ear, allowing a pin to slide out of place. Normally this happens with the 1st gens, but unless there has been changes in this setup for the 2nd gens (which I doubt), it is entirely possible. Here is a pic that shows the assy in a 1st gen, lower engine case, some of it is normally behind the clutch basket.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1760&d=1157991625

This is only a possibility, is up to the shop to determine for sure & repair. As it is a warranty issue.

Hi,

i'm sorry to say, but i think this Problem isn't a Problem of a missing Pin.

When i first read the initial Postings, that's what i suspected also.

but

... it just popped out of 5th ....

when this Starwasher is a culprit, you need to shift and get lost of the Pin on the Ratchet. Or you loose it while riding and can't find the Pin to hook onto anymore. In both Cases, the Gear stucks in as choosen.

If the Gear pops out while riding and not while shifting, there is no Way that the Starwasher and/or the Rachetmechanism can be involved.