One of my forks started to leak last summer. Pulled them both off the bike over the weekend and brought them into a reputable mechanic to get new seals and progressive springs. Was informed that one of the forks was worn and pitted beyond safe usage. The other had a worn but usable lower bushing. The mechanic gave me 2 choices... 1. New Fork from Yamaha @$325.00. 2. A pair of Aftermarket forks for @$265.00. My third option would be a set of forks from ebay off of a bike with 39,000 mile that do not leak.

The bike has 75,000 miles on it and is a sound runner. I'm leaning towards the ebay set (I like cheap) but the set of aftermarket forks are tempting too. Any advice or other options I haven't thought of would be appreciated!

Thanks

I'm leaning towards the ebay set (I like cheap) but the set of aftermarket forks are tempting too. Any advice or other options I haven't thought of would be appreciated!

Thanks

The aftermarket forks are probably, "Forking by Frank" http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/ & are of good quality & good service (no charge cards accepted, but they take USPS or Canada Post money orders). For new upper fork tube bushings you can go OEM for a later year (not listed seperately for '83) or Racetech (same upper tube & lower bushings for entire 1st gen listings).

More info http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-46234.html

http://www.racetech.com/evalving/english/Srchpr.asp?bikeid=573&manufacture=Yamaha&model=XVZ1200+Venture&year=83%2D86&TABLEINFO=street&langname=english

Well Howdy.

Been though that situation myself with mine. I got to admit if I had the chance at the time to by a set of new tubes for $265.00 I may have went that way myself. But I went eBay and it worked out fine. You got to figure you're buying a set of forks and you only need 1 side.....50/50 you have a good one for sure. There are at least two sets that I saw today for really fair prices but that can change in a hurry if they look good. No matter if they state no leaking you are going to want to install new seals before putting them on the bike. Cheap insurance.

Look close at the pics on eBay for pitting and don't be afraid to ask for more pics and ask questions. A good seller will tell up straight up where it is and how bad. Above the wear points I wouldn't worry too much. In the working area it needs to be good. If you can grab a set for less than a $100.00 that is not bad. If nobody is bidding they may of asked a question that you didn't.

And enjoy the Progressives. It's an great change to make to the bike.

My question on the aftermarkets is are they ported for the air suspension collars? Who makes them?

Mike

And enjoy the Progressives. It's an great change to make to the bike.

My question on the aftermarkets is are they ported for the air suspension collars? Who makes them?

Mike

Franks are ported & also includes new nylon/plastic bushings for the head of the damper rod. There has been about a $30. price increase over the last 2 years (if the price quoted is from "Forking by Frank"), since I got mine. They will also do 1/2 sets (1 tube), but it is my preference to change out both tubes.