IGNORED

83 Venture advice

Guest Oldnwizr1

Guest Oldnwizr1

Hi Folks

Just bought my second first generation Venture and need some experienced advice on a couple of problem areas (noted so far!)

It has 19,000 miles (I don't think it is 119,000 miles as the compression and power are very good and the motor and rust look very original)...The stator is putting out a good charge, the bike has been sitting and runs ok but the carbs might need cleaned..All electric works fine..Has a new clutch, new front fork seals, good tires, and all instruments work ok. Even has a working original am/fm/cassette. The plastic fairing is in good shape well, normal small cracks mid-frame, windshield is new, and rear bags are in good shape, a new battery also.

Now the bad stuff: I only seem to have front brakes. Think it needs a

rebuilt master cylinder kit or has a stuck piston. Front brakes stop it really good. Just wondered, the rear brake has no compression, yet the front brakes work. Does this indicate back brakes have fluid?

Bike starts up with coaxing. After warming up it will cruise at 80+ (well I had to try it out!) and the carbs don't sputter and seem to hum in unison. A local bike shop nearby quoted me $80 a carb to rebuild and sync..I put a strong dose of carb cleaner in the gas to see if it would help. Perhaps it needs a good long run to clear the carbs out. (when I get better brakes)

And of course, the dreaded Yamaha second gear problem. It shifts ok but pops out of second if you wind it out. I read the thread on Venture WWW site but am not that good a mechanic. I think this is also an expensive fix so may have to live with it (or) will the transmission eventually lock up?

Previous owner replaced the orig toe shifter with toe/heel clunker as well as running boards for feet, think this encouraged stomping bike into gear and led to the second gear problem, maybe..

Any other problem areas you have experienced that I need to check?

Thanks for advice

James

Now the bad stuff: I only seem to have front brakes. Think it needs a

rebuilt master cylinder kit or has a stuck piston. Front brakes stop it really good. Just wondered, the rear brake has no compression, yet the front brakes work. Does this indicate back brakes have fluid?

And of course, the dreaded Yamaha second gear problem. It shifts ok but pops out of second if you wind it out. I read the thread on Venture WWW site but am not that good a mechanic. I think this is also an expensive fix so may have to live with it (or) will the transmission eventually lock up?

Previous owner replaced the orig toe shifter with toe/heel clunker as well as running boards for feet, think this encouraged stomping bike into gear and led to the second gear problem, maybe..

Any other problem areas you have experienced that I need to check?

Thanks for advice

James

With the brakes, if you only have front only. You only have the right front braking, as the left front & rear are linked. Try bleeding first, it helps to have speed bleeders in place of the normal bleeder fittings. As there is not a bleeder fitting at the high point of the line, from the rear to the left front, by the steering neck.

For fuel treatments, try using seafoam, it seems to work good & is a favorite here.

With the transmission, the problem was caused by soft thrust washers, on a transmission shaft. This problem was fixed on the production line partway during the 85 model run. There are members, that has not dug into the transmission to fix it, they just bypass 2nd gear.

I think the only side effect is, the 2nd genners can keep up a little longer..........:stirthepot::stirthepot:

If you use the search for this site, you can find more info on the seafoam & speed bleeders.

With the rear brake system, there is a proportioning valve that can get gummed up and cause the system to malfunction. As far as the carbs, Yes, seafoam seems to work best, but the real problem may be pinholes in the rubber diaphragms which is a common situation. These diaphragms are getting very costly and go for around $60 on up apiece!

The '83s were also prone to frames cracking. Not a common problem but significant to the '83 model. Other problems are hard starting when hot, due usually to the poor battery cables. Replacing with larger diameter wires helps, and using an Odessy Dry cell battery definately makes a huge difference.

Just keep posting whenever a problem comes up and you will get lots of expert advice here! Also do a search for each topic and check out the technical info section for lots of good advice...

When I bought my 85 there rear brakes were also a problem, which in my case was solved by tightening the hose clamps from the resevoir to the master cyclinder under the right hand side cover and then bleeding. Hope yours is as easy. Pull the air filter and check it for dirt and while you have it off start the bike and while blipping the throttle look into each carb and see if the sliders move. I they don't, they need work or replacement, lots of info on that here as well, just do a search on - diaphrams.

Let us know how you make out and the problems you have, we read this site more often than the funnies.

Guest Oldnwizr1

thanks guys, appreciate all the good info..Problem is I don't think I will ever

attain your level of expertise as a mechanic! The local bike shop

here can do the carbs and brakes for around $450, which is a bit

cheaper than me screwing it up. I don't know any local members here

in Pensacola who could guide me doing the repairs.

Even at this price its a lot cheaper (and more fun) than a new

Harley Electra Glide, I may have a 'senior moment' while riding

the Harley and trash it before it was paid for. With the Venture

you can 'reach' down and get a lot more power anyway.

Thanks again

James

"Pull the air filter and check it for dirt and while you have it off start the bike and while blipping the throttle look into each carb and see if the sliders move. I they don't, they need work or replacement, "

Remember that dealers aren't always reliable.

I found that my slides seemed to do the same dance when viewed in the fashion mentioned above, but I still found major cracking in 3 out of 4 diaphragms. I believe that ALL slides this ages need replacing, unless of course it has already been done. I got them for $55 each and it's an easy job.

Total carb rebuilding is not hard either, but getting them off isn't the easiest thing in the world.

Jeremy

• 1 year later...

Hi all. I am rebuilding a 83 venture 1200, mostly cosmetic. :pushups: Fun but a good work out! The motor and trans seems fine so far. What I will need, at some point, are rotors and diaphragms. Any suggestions that won't cost me an arm and a leg?

Hi all. I am rebuilding a 83 venture 1200, mostly cosmetic. :pushups: Fun but a good work out! The motor and trans seems fine so far. What I will need, at some point, are rotors and diaphragms. Any suggestions that won't cost me an arm and a leg?

You should maybe start a new thread on your issue, so it don't get lost in the shuffle. Then you will get more pointed help.

$80.00 for a set of diaphragms, New rotors are around $250-300 on the internet, Dealers up the price by another 50% so avoid them. good used ones can be had, search ebay and the classifieds here.

I strongly suggest you clean and sync the carbs and not let a dealer touch the bike. I have yet to find a dealer that actually knows how to sync carbs. and dealer "carb cleaning" is typically running a lot of seafoam or other carb cleaner through it while spraying carb cleaner down the throats. I had a buddy lose $350.00 to a dealer that "complete carb cleaned" his XS750. it still ran poorly and 1 hour later and 2 spray cans of carb cleaner we took apart the carbs and found a ton of garbage in them. When confronted, the dealer said it was his gas tank reclogged the carbs. Tank is 100% clean and new, dealer lied.

Brakes, do a complete brake fluid flush and bleed. If you have never done this, speedbleaders are great, you also need to crack the line and bleeed at the top of the tripletree. You can flush and bleed the brakes in less than 1 hour. Re-bleed the brakes the day or two after, you will get air at the top of the triple tree again.

You might be lucky and have a competent and honest dealer or bike shop.