IGNORED

What a dealer!

BigBoyinMS

The temps were in the upper 70's yesterday so a buddy and I ended up doing a 300+ mile loop. Since I am wanting to get an RSTD for a daily rider, we stopped in at the dealer in Hattiesburg,MS. They are probably the largest multi-line dealer in a few hundred mile radius. They just finished an addition that has them up to 42,000 sq ft. And they have just started on an addition for the service department. BUT, not all is well. My buddy and I are both 50+, we ride up on my '07 Venture and his '06 Wing. We look around for about 10 mins then I decide to price an RSTD. After 10 more minutes No one has approached us. In fact they are more interested in the teenager and his gf looking at the Raider. At one time there were 6 sales people standing around talking. I finally walk over and ask if there is anyone that isn't too busy to work up a price for me. I show him the one I'm looking at and ask for his best price for a cash deal. He says it will take him about 10 minutes to speak to his manager and then work it up. (The bike is an '08 and has a tag on it with the ' 08 MSRP and another for a $500 rebate) He finally comes back and shows me the figures. It's MSRP less the $500 plus the dealer fees and taxes! And he presented it like he had just cut me a huge deal! LOL

Before the current economy, when I was looking to buy my Venture, every other dealer I spoke to was cutting an average of $2000 off of MSRP.

I don't know, maybe this dealer can get away with a few hundred bucks off of MSRP but no one else seems to be able to.

Sounds like the Bozo's here in Flint, I have to go 40 miles one way to Oxford to talk to someone who really gives a rip. My choice, but I'd rather talk to someone with a few active brain cells if you know what I mean.

:think:

Gary

The temps were in the upper 70's yesterday so a buddy and I ended up doing a 300+ mile loop. Since I am wanting to get an RSTD for a daily rider, we stopped in at the dealer in Hattiesburg,MS. They are probably the largest multi-line dealer in a few hundred mile radius. They just finished an addition that has them up to 42,000 sq ft. And they have just started on an addition for the service department. BUT, not all is well. My buddy and I are both 50+, we ride up on my '07 Venture and his '06 Wing. We look around for about 10 mins then I decide to price an RSTD. After 10 more minutes No one has approached us. In fact they are more interested in the teenager and his gf looking at the Raider. At one time there were 6 sales people standing around talking. I finally walk over and ask if there is anyone that isn't too busy to work up a price for me. I show him the one I'm looking at and ask for his best price for a cash deal. He says it will take him about 10 minutes to speak to his manager and then work it up. (The bike is an '08 and has a tag on it with the ' 08 MSRP and another for a $500 rebate) He finally comes back and shows me the figures. It's MSRP less the $500 plus the dealer fees and taxes! And he presented it like he had just cut me a huge deal! LOL

Before the current economy, when I was looking to buy my Venture, every other dealer I spoke to was cutting an average of $2000 off of MSRP.

I don't know, maybe this dealer can get away with a few hundred bucks off of MSRP but no one else seems to be able to.

I have never been able to deal with them folks in Hattisburg or that Gear place in Madison...ones in Merdian are just about as bad. Call Bubba Bardwell in Brookhaven. No shipping fees, no doc fees, no assembly fees. If he does not have what you want...he will get it real quick. Most of the time the price he gives you on the phone...I just about bet if you call every dealer in the state you will not be able to beat it.

Before the economy went south...I would go there to pick up a new racing bike and buyt the time I signed the title and paid, he would have loaded up 4-5 bikes, 4 wheelers or Rhinos. He works on volume...sell a bunch for a little bit of profit.

601 833 1760 talk to Bubba or Jenifier only...tell him Mike from Philadelphia told you to call him.

I bought an 08 Vstar 650 in June of 08 for $4800 retail was $6092.

:sign outstanding: Sales dealer

Edited by CMIKE

Big Boy, your best bet is Lake Hill Motors in Corinth. I was just looking at their web site and comparing their prices to Seattle Motor. Lake Hill has them beat $2,500 to $3000 on Ventures and RSTD.

I've bought 2 bikes from Lake Hill in the last 3 years and they have killed the dealers in Columbus, MS, Hamilton, AL and Jasper, AL every time. The only one even close to them was Brookhaven, MS.

I don't know if they can be beaten anywhere.

Jeff

Reminds me of a used vehicle dealer here. He has a lot full of about 40 or so pick up trucks and SUVs. When the economy started going in the tank and gas prices were still high, I was having a cup of coffee with a friend. Just making smalltalk, I commented that I wouldn't want to be that guy sitting on all that inventory, given the conditions. He intimated that he doubts the guy could care less if sells a truck or not. His "other" business is where he made his money.....if you know what I mean!!! icon12.gif

BigboyinMs (Dave), Coast Cycle World on the coast might be your next choice. I have bought 4 rides from them, most recently my 07 rsv and 08 1100 custom, and went to high school w/ steve the owner. Always willing to talk price. Tell'em Carl sent ya.:080402gudl_prv:

Thanks for all the leads guys. Those that y'all mentioned are the ones I always hear about. But a new one is actually going to be my second choice. I almost always buy used... on cars or bikes. And I don't usually get in a hurry either. I may have to go a few hundred miles away but I usually end up with a killer deal! I bought my '07 RSV about 9 months ago. I had to drive 200 miles but I paid about $2500 under what most were going for. And it was accessorized pretty good too!

I wouldn't even mind another Venture at the right price. I'd like to do a Starglide.

But I still have to sell my Road Star. There's only so much room in the garage!

Hey CMIK, were you at the Loose Caboose Festival in Newton Saturday? I saw 2-3 Midnights there.

Honestly, dealers like that should also be avoided for even basic service. I discovered that if they are snotty in the showroom they will be useless in the mechanical side.

There is a large dealer like that here in Muskegon. Babbitts. Sales people are useless, they think 10% over msrp is a deal and their service department has a really bad attitude. Now the harley shop just a few miles away, Sandys Harley in Fremont,MI.. If you ride a bike, ANY bike, he treats you like a brother. He will work on anything and give you a fair price.

• 3 weeks later...
T...we stopped in at the dealer in Hattiesburg,MS. They are probably the largest multi-line dealer in a few hundred mile radius... (The bike is an '08 and has a tag on it with the ' 08 MSRP and another for a $500 rebate) back and shows me the figures. It's MSRP less the $500 plus the dealer fees and taxes! And he presented it like he had just cut me a huge deal! LOL...

Dave, I had the same experience with them when I was shopping 4 an 08RSV in Dec 07.

Called every Yamaha dealer from Jackson 2 Gulfport, Baton Rouge 2 Pensacola and they all quoted "MSRP" and wouldn't budge (somewhwere in the mid $17k range). By a fluke I tried Alford Sport Cycles up in McComb and he had 1 in the crate and quoted $15600 out the door. I went there the following day and rode it home 2 Gulfport. Great people 2 do business with and was worth $$$ the 250 mile round trip. They will keep my business.

Re; Coast cycle here in Gulfport, I haven't found anyone that will do business with them for various reasons, nor will I. :stirthepot:

New subject; Anyone out there want to do a 'Maintenance Day' somewhere in the Gulf Coast area?

New subject; Anyone out there want to do a 'Maintenance Day' somewhere in the Gulf Coast area?

That sounds like a plan. If someone in Hattiesburg hosted it you could pull in more folks. They don't call it the 'Hub City' for nothing! But the coast isn't too far either.

If nothing else a "Royal Star Day" at Paul B. or Flynt Creek.

Just throwing ideas out...

:thumbsup2:

Big Boy, your best bet is Lake Hill Motors in Corinth. I've bought 2 bikes from Lake Hill in the last 3 years and they have killed the dealers in Columbus, MS, Hamilton, AL and Jasper, AL every time.

Jeff

Dropped by Hamilton AL Yamaha at noon today and they have a red 09 RSV on the showroom floor. Salesman checked the book and said $15,500 before sales tax (I'm from out of state so that's the price I asked for).

BTW He first said 8 grand! You should have seen me stumbling over myself running in his direction trying to get my American Express card out of my pocket as fast as I could. In my haste I mumbled something about "Venture" and he said, "Oh, I thought you meant the 1300." That's when he looked in the book and gave me right price. My heartbeat has since returned to normal.

Lynn

That sounds like a plan. If someone in Hattiesburg hosted it you could pull in more folks. They don't call it the 'Hub City' for nothing! But the coast isn't too far either.

If nothing else a "Royal Star Day" at Paul B. or Flynt Creek.

Just throwing ideas out...

:thumbsup2:

Any of those ideas sound like "a plan"...:bluesbrother:

Guest seuadr
Sales people are useless, they think 10% over msrp is a deal and their service department has a really bad attitude. Now the harley shop just a few miles away, Sandys Harley in Fremont,MI.. If you ride a bike, ANY bike, he treats you like a brother. He will work on anything and give you a fair price.

ya, that's how it is in lansing, too. we got a HUGE suzuki dealer here (fullthrottle motorsports) that sucks, except for a single girl that works there.. she seems to know what she is doing. Everyone else usually asks what bike i have several times before they can find it.Had a guy tell me that a GS1100 isn't a suzuki bike :D.I usually have to drive up to st johns, 'bout 20 mins one way to us27 motorsports to get anyone who isn't a moron. I hope that the us27 will source yamaha parts for me too when i start to need'em!

Sounds like the Bozo's here in Flint, I have to go 40 miles one way to Oxford to talk to someone who really gives a rip. My choice, but I'd rather talk to someone with a few active brain cells if you know what I mean.

:think:

Gary

I'm in Flint area also and I agree. The dealership on Miller Rd. is the same as it was when it was on Fenton rd.. The only thing that changed was the location. You can roam around in their showroom for 30 min. or more before someone talks to you.