I did the stock exhaust mod on my 07. Took the dremel tool and removed that outer cone adn then drilled 4 -1/2 holes in mine... Now at least I can hear it running while going down the road.

It worked out alright but not very loud. When I get some money I am planning on going with either some Baron Slash cuts or BUB sleepers.

Got mine for free from a friend who had a Harley.........only costs me a few bucks for materiala to make the brackets to hang them, now mine are on a 1st gen so thats special...:banana::banana:And they sound really good without drilling or modifiying them.........

get yourself a set of Road King mufflers. They're cheap (I paid $50 for mine) and they sound real nice.

Got mine for free from a friend who had a Harley.........only costs me a few bucks for materiala to make the brackets to hang them, now mine are on a 1st gen so thats special...:banana::banana:And they sound really good without drilling or modifiying them.........

just curious... what did you use for material for the brackets? (steel or aluminum or?)

I installed some Barons slash cuts on my RSTD this morning. Like them alot, but they are loud as well. Won't be able to get the bike out for awhile, too much snow. I would imagine that they sound louder in the shed than outside. But either way its loud. It's been a couple of hours since I switched and i'm still grinning, so they do sound nice though.

Guest Saddletramp

I had done a modification on my stock pipes refered to as a stage 2 mod. Noise level was alright but I wasn't crazy about the look of the end of the pipe. I acquired a set of RSTD mufflers primarily for the tips on them. I then poked a hole thru the baffle wall from the front of the muffler approx. 5/8 of an inch. Once installed on the bike I started her up and there is a low tone now evident while siiting in the shop on Carbon One's stand but I have yet to ride her out on the road due to winter. I'll let you know more when that happens. Love the looks of the RSTD pipes on the venture. The stage two mod was simply cutting the end out of the mufflers and drilling the exposed cone with 4 holes approx. 3/8".

• 1 month later...

Take the stock pipes off, use a dremel tool with cut off wheel, on the outlet end.

This works better if you have the dremel extension set, but you can do with the dremel.

Use the cut wheel to cut the tube approx 1 and 1/2 inches inside the outlet end of the muffler, then push the tube to one side. thats it put them back on and crank her up.

I went from the stock......way to quiet. Then to a pair of HD road king pipes....not bad but not quiet there. And finally a pair of Vance n Hines baggers that were made for the HD road king. They don't make them directly for the RSTD. Anyway, finally got the sound I was looking for.....enough to hear them going down the road and loud enough to satisfy when you open em up.