IGNORED

1st Genners-Not a war

Gambit

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm, musta seen mine! Just wait til this summer, I'm seriously considering buying one of those rear view cameras to use as an electronic rear view mirror so I know just how far behind me the 2nd gen'ers are:stirthepot:

yup better put a telephoto lense on it :dancefool::dancefool::big-grin-emoticon:

Edited by saddlebum

Yeah them 2nd Genners been a little quiet. You think they've given up???:whistling:

We are just sitting back listening. Its like listening to someone talk about the airplane they flew in WWII and trying to make it seem modern. Back In WWII it was top of the line. I love listening to old war stories. :whistling:

Yeah 1st gens are great bikes but it just so much scotch tape, glue & time to keep them running.:stirthepot:

Have never heard anyone mention this :scratchchin::scratchchin:, but, if the 2nd Gen was such a great idea:crackup::crackup:, why did BMW come out with at least one model that looks suspiciously like a 1st Gen:innocent::2133:?? Mebbe them Germans hired those 1st Gen designers that Yamaha replaced with HD designers:think::smilies6::bang head:. Due to their background, all they could do was take a Shadow and throw some extra parts on it from the junk bin:buttkick: and voila, 2nd Gen!!:happy65:

Love fixing it after every ride, it keeps me busy. Love the styling, some one has to. Love the comfort, aging makes you want that. Love it, that it doesn't wanna be a HD. Love it because it's a Jap bike and not German (BMW bad experience). Love it because my SO will ride with me and can drive it. Love it because 3 friends have one too, (after I bought mine). Love it because the cassette player doesn't skip like the 2nd Gen. CD's. Love it better after doing the 2nd gear fix, after I said I would never tear into an engine again. Love it because Ebay has many of the "Spare Parts" it's GOING TO NEED. Love it because it was $1800 and only 14k miles when I bought it last June (priced a new 2nd Gen?? WOW!!)

Love it because it's the only tourer that's powerful, comfortable, ok handling, low price, easy to work on, AND different from a GW/HD.

:fiddle:Beside it keeps me busy fixing/modifying it. :clap2:

the majority of the folks that own 1st gens are chasing some sort of issue. Understandable with any machine that is that old, just ask SWIFTY how many times he has had his '86 tore apart in his living room :stickpoke:

but I got very tired of HAVING to fix issues on the 1st gens, thats why I changed over.

OK, this is one of the few times that the big guru doesn't know of what he speaketh...

1. a person doesn't "tire" of their hobby, the more they can do it, the better,

2. 1st gen owners don't "chase issues", they practice preventative maintenance,

3. and now it gets personal...the Browner has NEVER left me stranded beside the road, whereas I've been on more than ONE ventureride where I've seen those purple and pink coloured bikes had to be left behind with their red faced riders because the bikes wouldn't even start!!!

4. living rooms have nothing to do with it...except by some gurus who've recently seen "major tom's" workshop and are simply jealous.

:happy65:

man you all can get pretty vicious. Does this happen at meets to? I may have to come armed, i'm just a little guy with a Big bike that beats HD in every aspect. Including styling
We are just poking a little fun. There is some minor ribbing at the meets but mostly we all just visit and eat and help those antique guys patch up their scoots so they can get home. I would recommend you come armed not for any of the members (all I have met are well manered and friendly) but there are scum bags everywhere. Even the antique guys and gals are good folks just un inlightened.:stirthepot:

The men here are all OK....it's those female types that hand around here that you have to worry about. Them wimmins can be VICIOUS. :headache:

SO TRUE , SOOO VEERRY TRUE .

i am glad i can duck as fast a 1st gen runs , if i ducked as slow as a 2nd gen i would have a lot of bumps on my head from those wimmins .

Thom

man you all can get pretty vicious. Does this happen at meets to? I may have to come armed, i'm just a little guy with a Big bike that beats HD in every aspect. Including styling

I agree the 1st Gen certainly does beat the HD in every aspect in styling :innocent-emoticon:

Oh wait you meant a second gen... OOps! sorry. Yeah those are nice too!

I like your response, I think you could safely add another criterion; or,

" just leeway crazy!" :guitarist 2:

yup, not anyone can handle this bike, some are intimidated just looking at the controls. I suggest that, like an astronaut, the first gen driver is at the top of his game, he has the right stuff, he is like his bike...a finely tuned machine, he has come a long way to be at the top of the pyramid, perhaps he has even bought the farm once or twice, he goes where no one has gone before, where few even bother to tread...................those who have the rare opportunity to sit in the cockpit don't dare turn the key, they don't have the guts, looking at the controls they just roll their eyes and in the stupor of wonderment they mumble something elemental like, "ground control to major tom" sshheeeeshhh

:rasberry:

@nd genners just went away???

Got to slow down and let them catch up AGAIN!!:whistling:

Dan us second gen guys took this ride a few days ago and are long past finished and on to new things. I know it takes you first genners a long time to get up to speed but this is ridicules:stirthepot:.

Bought my Gen 1 '86 a little over a year ago and have put about 12,000 miles on it. Before that I owned a Honda 750 Super Sport with a windjammer and hand held CB in the fairing.

When I got my "new" Yamaha the controls didn't freak me out, but they sure were interesting. After getting used to riding a big bike and getting my two wheel skills back, I started messing with the controls and found them logical and easy to get used to.

Late this summer I took an Ultra Glide (brand new) for a ride on one of the local dealers ride days. the controls on this bike totally baffled me, but I am sure I could eventually get used to them. But for sure, they will take the eyes off the road more than my VR even when you get them memorized. My controls are higher, and easier to use.

I have had only one issue with my controls, the right channel on the headsets drops down in volume from time to time, but a well placed professional and electrical engineer approved WHACK to the radio area brings it back. LOL

I like the older Gold Wing style, think it has held up well, and do NOT like the Harley style.

Oh, that Ultra, shook so much coming to a stop and at idle that it blurred my vision! NO way I am paying 20 large (or less for used) to get my brains more scrambled than they already area.

Got back on my 23 YO VR and felt like I was on a brand new super high Ultra quality machine.

Lots of people in the group I ride have the Gen 2 RSV and they love it. I have not had a chance to ride one yet, but can imagine I would fit and like it, but I want a frame mounted fairing with the room and features it adds. Sure would like to explore belt drive though, after a couple times fixing the shaft drive on mine.