IGNORED

Oil pressure warning light coming on.........

I have noticed in the last week that my low oil pressure warning light is coming on from time to time. So far it only comes on when I approach the rev limiter in 2nd gear, it doesn't come on at high RPM's in 1st or 3rd gear. I have checked the oil and it was just below 1/2 in the sight glass, so I added enough oil to bring it to exactly 1/2. I went for a ride and it is still coming on at high RPM's in 2nd gear.

Any ideas on why the light is coming on or if I should be worried by this?

Mine does the same thing.If I put it about 3/4 of the way up it stops. Its a warning light for oil level and not oil pressure though. So you have enough oil in it. I suspect the oil level sender is in the front of the oil pan so under acceleration the oil would naturally move to the back of the pan. I notice it most under hard acceleration in second.

BuddyRich is correct.

There is a thread somewhere here that talks about how to rotate the sensor to get it more toward the rear of the pan...

but it is not a big deal.

Just make sure your oil level is in the MIDDLE of the oil level window when parked level and the bike is vertical.

That or just don't accelerate as hard........

Yes, but you take the risk of it puking out the vents if you get it too near the upper fill mark.

....and it ends up all over the front of Lone Eagle's RSTD and that gorgeous engraved windshield when it blows out of my engine at hiway speeds........:whistling::whistling:

Brian

My Venture is filled almost to the full mark and I don't accelerate hard enough to the point that I may reach the rev limiter mark. So far, no oil coming out of the vents.

I'm just a little over 2K miles and hated the month of January in terms of being able to ride due to the weather.:(

Mine does the same thing.If I put it about 3/4 of the way up it stops. Its a warning light for oil level and not oil pressure though. So you have enough oil in it. I suspect the oil level sender is in the front of the oil pan so under acceleration the oil would naturally move to the back of the pan. I notice it most under hard acceleration in second.

:sign yeah that: My '08 does the same thing under hard accelleration, as mentioned it's a level indicator and not pressure...your good :happy34:

Damn, it sounds like I will not be able to keep up with all of you.

I don't think I have ever even come close to the rev limiter mark. How many RPMs it it turning if you do hit it?

Save me a spot at the table as I will show up a little later.

The rev limiter point is a little low on these bikes, around 7500 rpm, most 1st genners run up past there occasionally. The Vmaxs run red line around 8500-9000, same motor with different cams, etc. to keep the valves from floating. These motors are pretty much bullet-proof, I wouldn't worry about thrashing it too much, we haven't heard of one blowing up since I've been here.

Dan

Jim, The rev limit on the second gen kicks in around 6500. it will start missing and the oil light will flash. Its easy to hit in 1st or second, 3rd gets kinda interesting when you hit it at around 80:whistling:

That's when I'm leaving second gear, when having fun cleaning out the carbon........... :stirthepot:

Damn, it sounds like I will not be able to keep up with all of you.

I don't think I have ever even come close to the rev limiter mark. How many RPMs it it turning if you do hit it?

Save me a spot at the table as I will show up a little later.

Get an '85, then you'll have the first spot at the table and be working on dessert before the rest show up, 'course you shoiuld always start with dessert, just in case you don't have room for it later.

Is there already a full list of what us newbees might consider problems?, when they are probably common issues for these bikes? (1st gens) It sure would keep me from aging so fast! Almost everything I've found on my 89 VR is a common issue! Thanks if someone could post it:bang head: My head is getting sore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I remember back in the fall of 07, was in Cincinnati, my stator quit, 4th gear pin came out of the gear change cam. Rode the bike back home 125 miles getting hot, battery dying, nothing over 3rd gear riding it about 55-65 mph. I WAS worried about hurting the bike and I got chastized on here for going too SLOW! When I got home, had 8.5 volts left in the battery and she wouldn't run under 2 grand due to the low voltage.BUT SHE GOT ME HOME! I wouldn't trade this bike for NUTHIN'!

Sure they're some things you gotta pay attention to, but these bikes are almost better than any car I've ever had! ('Cept for my Corvair, of course!)

Dan

:sign yeah that: My '08 does the same thing under hard accelleration, as mentioned it's a level indicator and not pressure...your good :happy34:

Thanks, I was thinking that it shouldn't be a real problem, but just wanted to make sure.

Jim, The rev limit on the second gen kicks in around 6500. it will start missing and the oil light will flash. Its easy to hit in 1st or second, 3rd gets kinda interesting when you hit it at around 80:whistling:

I have yet to hit the rev limiter in 3rd as I hit it at 70 in 2nd, not sure where I would hit in 3rd but know it is past 80.

I remember back in the fall of 07, was in Cincinnati, my stator quit, 4th gear pin came out of the gear change cam. Rode the bike back home 125 miles getting hot, battery dying, nothing over 3rd gear riding it about 55-65 mph. I WAS worried about hurting the bike and I got chastized on here for going too SLOW! When I got home, had 8.5 volts left in the battery and she wouldn't run under 2 grand due to the low voltage.BUT SHE GOT ME HOME! I wouldn't trade this bike for NUTHIN'!

Sure they're some things you gotta pay attention to, but these bikes are almost better than any car I've ever had! ('Cept for my Corvair, of course!)

Dan

She is definitely a keeper.:thumbsup2:

Thanks, I was thinking that it shouldn't be a real problem, but just wanted to make sure.

I have yet to hit the rev limiter in 3rd as I hit it at 70 in 2nd, not sure where I would hit in 3rd but know it is past 80.

I am really scared to hit the rev limiter range. My engine might explode.