IGNORED

garmin 550 with 1st Gen?

SapperMedic

hey lonestar,

Been waiting on a review for the buddy rich cables. He told me someone had a set made by him but was waiting to see if the bugs were worked out or not.

How do you like thhis setup as I'm considering getting the same for my 91 vr.

any input will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

David

I have mine tied into the intercom. I deleted the cassette deck and have the audio come in though there. I pod is also tied in that way. I used a switch to go between stereo and GPS/Ipod. sound will come out the speakers or headset just like the cassette would.

If interested I have more info on this and the CB connector.

David - so far it is the feline's rectal opening!!!

It works just like the standard cable. One hitch though - he has to have your intercom cable. Because of the tight plug on the amplifier he can't use his standard patch cable. I have tried it on a couple times. I am waiting on Uncle Sam to send me some refund money to get the Zumo 550. It is a prototype and probably about 30 days or so from release. We haven't decided on the best housing design or output cable. I will post pictures after I get with him and finalize the details.

I have combined this with a prototype cassette removal and conversion to aux. input setup I have been fiddling with.

When finished, there will not be a cassette player. The housing will be a box with a 12vdc outlet, a switch to activate the aux. input, an indicator light, and a water resistant lid. Should be able to drop a cell phone into the box, charge it, and interface with the Zumo. Turn on the radio,power the Zumo, flip the switch and listen away. The AM/FM will be disconnected while the switch is flipped. The CB will over-ride the audio just like with the radio. The Zumo will always show visual cues. If you are listening to the AM/FM you will need to flip the switch to enable the audio output. The speaker/headset switch will work as it does now.

I am using the same electrical wiring as Scotty.

JB

Guest ReinyRooster

Painterman67- I'm the someone with a 1st gen and Buddy's cables. The workmanship on them is outstanding but due to the EXTREME cold here this winter and my cluttered garage, I have not be able to test them yet. I will post whenever I am able to get to the bike to test this setup.

David - so far it is the feline's rectal opening!!!

It works just like the standard cable. One hitch though - he has to have your intercom cable. Because of the tight plug on the amplifier he can't use his standard patch cable.

JB

An alternative, is to start with a 5 pin right angle MIDI cable from a music store, for the basis of making 2 patch cables. I wonder, where J & M get their right angle plugs from, as they are not molded into the interface cables.

:2cents:

Painterman67- I'm the someone with a 1st gen and Buddy's cables. The workmanship on them is outstanding but due to the EXTREME cold here this winter and my cluttered garage, I have not be able to test them yet. I will post whenever I am able to get to the bike to test this setup.

I appreciate that. Buddyrich replied to my pm I sent him. Said he could build the cable no problam but waqs awaiting input on sound as the zumo only has so much power to use and he wasn't sure of the output .

Guess I'll just wait and see as I would rather buy a 5 pin set up to work with the bike instead of blue tooth. The only advantage I would see for me to go blue tooth is so my wife and I could talkl on a ride. We are currently looking at cmr units for this as she doesn't have anything like a intercom setup on her 1100 shadow.

Thanks and I'll just play the waiting game for now.

David

The input area on top of the amplifier of a 1st Gen is very compact. A standard right angle midi connector is too tall and hits the bottom of the control panel. Yamaha DOES use a molded end. Also, the end is keyed non-standard to allow the cables to lay in a certain direction. There are 4 DIN sockets and when plugged in they have to lay a certain way or the cables will overlap. I used modeling clay on top of the connectors to check clearance for a straight/taller plug. It isn't there.

I edited this post to add pictures of the radio and cables. I realized that some folks may not have seen a 1st Gen. Radio setup. The controls are in the top lid and connect to the tuner and amplifier via cable. The tuner/amp. sits vertically under a plastic panel.

JB

Edited by lonestarmedic