IGNORED

Star Touring & Riding

Kev.

Kev, good morning. I am the president of our local chapter - so I may be a little biased. For me, STAR gives me an outlet to ride at least twice a month - we have great members (about 40) and new friends. Seeing you have an 08 Venture, if it is new, you have a one year free membership awaiting you with the National Association. Are there any local STAR chapters to you? If so, try them out - see if you like them - and the way they conduct their meetings and/or rides. Not all chapters "are the same" - though they all have primary goals in mind - a family environment, a sober riding experience (meaning no bar hopping allowed), etc. There are costs involved to belong to the group. I like STAR as it is open to all riders regardless of technical ability and bike mfg's (we have (4) Harley's and couple of Suzuki's/Honda's in our chapter). Safety is our main goal.

Are there any VentureRiders near your area(s)? This site - and the people here - are more than good riders, with some very technically sound people - people here over time really become a "family". I would suggest also checking out our meet and eats - around your area.

Here in my area, we VentureRiders don't get together as often as we should / could - we are all really spread out - but we do get together. My STAR chapter gave me the additional bonus of being able to ride with friends - every weekend if I wanted to. If you would like more insight / info - should me a PM - have fun, ride safe.

I'm a member.

We do a lot of riding and eating with our chapter. We also do some charity work with them. Great bunch of people.

We belong to the national organization because it's a requirement to be a member of the local chapter. There are activities at the state and national level, and when some occur reasonably close to home we might participate.

STAR rules make sure that group rides are enjoyable and safe. Roles, rules and hand signals are all standardized. There is no riding bar to bar. To an outsider it might appear that we are riding from food to food, but that really isn't the case:hihi:.

It's very much a family friendly organization, a number of whole families participate.

My impression is that there is a lot of variation chapter to chapter in how active they are. Some might have rides and activities every weekend, others less so.

If you're looking for a safe group, that doesn't ride drunk or speed, you might want to check it out.

My suggestion would be that you check out a chapter (or two or more) in your area.

I am a member and road captain for our group near Peoria, IL. I actually found the STAR group through this site when the president of the local STAR chapter saw me post here and on the VEnturers site.

I agree, Star is family friendly, inclusive, and a pretty safe group to ride with with good rules, no drinking while riding. We go on many rides a year, donate to charity and have a lot of fun.

The Star website is pretty lousy though, only one topic that has any activity and it is mostly about chapter announcements. Not much chat at all, so stay here and on the Venturers site for talk, but join Star if you have a local chapter you can join up with, check it out on their web site.

They have some rules about their patch, and are careful not to insult 1%ers if possible. Of course you don't have to wear their patch if that isn't your thing.

I also joined my local Gold Wing Road Riders Assoc. chapter to have more local rides available to me. The GWRRA is an older group in my area, but they ride faster than the Star group! Those big Wings can really scoot and turn! :backinmyday:

For me it is about the rides and friends I make, and I highly recommend all the sites and groups I mentioned.

A couple of our Star group have Harleys, and one of my new years resolutions is to go on a ride with the local HOG group with my VR, just to see if they are as friendly and inclusive as other groups. :stirthepot:

I'm VP of Chapter #402 in Murphy NC. STAR is a family friendly organization that gives you a chance to get out and ride with some good folks without the macho or brand specific BS.

STAR also does a lot of good in local communities. STAR is the single largest donor to the Feed the Children charity.-Jack

Is any one a member of Star Touring & Riding ? If so could you tell me about it.

Thank you.

Kev,

Met some great people through STAR, but my experiences with the organization and some of its rules haven't always been the best. Like I said, met some really great people in Madison with the chapter there when we lived in Waunakee, and with the Green Bay chapter when we moved up here a little over five years ago. The chapter and how it operates is what makes it or breaks it for STAR IMO, along with how well the sponsor dealer supports the local chapter. National STAR left a few things to be desired for me as well, but both the local chapters I dealt with were good at the times I was involved. My feelings regarding the charter "vote-in" process, especially for STAR member moving from chapter area to another, and STAR's rules on patches soured my opinion a little.

There's a pretty active chapter there in the Eau Claire area, plus the one down in Wisconsin Rapids is pretty active...a lot of the ol' Green Bay chapter members go there now.

Noticed you're in Bloomer...I live well east of you in Suamico, but over your way quite often to visit (Venture riding) friends in Eau Claire. Out of courtesy to the members here on the VentureRider site I won't mention another organization by name , but if you're interested a small group of us (we call ourselves the North Central Irregulars) get together quite a bit throughout the year. We've got a Cabin Fever Reliever coming up in two weeks in Green Lake; back over your way early February so we can head over to the bike show in Minneapolis; some of us we'll get together for the River Run in April; there will be a ride-in in LaCrosse (Goose Island) in June; maybe something for Door County in July, plus there's a "BIG" ride-in out in Spearfish SD the first full week of July that quite a few of us will be riding out for; not sure on August yet; Davis Rally in New Hampton IA first weekend after Labor Day; a few of us like go up to Tomahawk for the Fall Colors Ride the week after that...this year, I'll be back in LaCrosse that weekend for an FJR rally; and then the last weekend of September we're back in LaCrosse for OctoberFest. Or if you like camp, my wife and I are out somewhere in the state pretty much every weekend from mid-April to early October.

If you're interested, personal e-mail is concours9@sbcglobal.net.

Curt

Edited by FJR Rider