Does anyone know if there is a place where I a list of parts compatability between different VR year models? I am looking for a windscreen for a 83vr 1200 and am wondering if one off a 86VR 1300 would work. I also need a battery. Does anyone know where I could get a descent one for a descent price?

Thanks,

Clay

Doubt if there is a complete list of parts compatibility. You can check the fiches at the yamaha parts site (http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx) and see if the part numbers are the same.

Sometimes though the part numbers might be different, yet the parts are compatible. For instance, the fairing panels are interchangeable, but part numbers are often different. This is because they came from the factory painted, so different part numbers for different colors.

The side covers are interchangeable, but different. The early ones had a vent, later ones had a larger vent with a louver in it.

As far as the battery goes, I know someone who got a flooded battery for his 86 at Autozone for $43. The Autozone battery has a hole for the battery sensor, but not the sensor itself. He re-used his sensor. If you buy the battery from the dealer the sensor comes with it.

It gets even more interesting on the driveline stuff. I have a 2nd gen final drive on my 89. While it's different, it can be made to work.

I don't know about the windscreen, but I priced a battery for my '89 the other day at Batteries Plus. If you have one of these in your area the quote I got was $84 for a sealed battery with a 1 year warranty, $53 for the one you add water to with a six month warranty. I haven't seen anyone beat this price in east Tn. :2cents: