IGNORED

front fork replacment

I've got an 83 royal that has the hydraulic dampers removed for better front brakes. I just acquired a 87 complete fork assembly. This is the triple trees down including wheel, calipers, rotors and the front master cylinder. Mechanically I'm sure I won't have much trouble changing one set for the other but my question is: How do I hook up the new electric dampers? I've read some back posts but they are not very clear on what needs to be done. Any one changed theirs over and has some tips? I would appreciate it. Also, will the new Progressive springs I just put into my original forks work in the new ones?

Dick

Edited by rhncue

The signal from the brake light fires a relay that engages the anti dive solenoid. Soooo, just splice a line into your brake lights to the primary of a relay with the other side of the primary coil to ground. One end of the relay contacts goes to the battery, and the other relay contact goes to the anti dive unit. Easy enough?

IMHO the conversion is well worth the time but you should change over the rear as well to include the rear master cylander for maximum benefit. Anti dive is a good thing to have, but so is progressive springs. To my knowledge the springs are the same from the mk1 and mk2...

I picked this front end up last night but it never had the top triple tree. I checked part numbers between the 83 and 87 and although the lower trees are the same the upper has a different part number. Does anyone know the difference between the two and will the one off of my 83 work OK? Also, will the Super Brace off of my 83 fit the new front end?

Dick

I picked this front end up last night but it never had the top triple tree. I checked part numbers between the 83 and 87 and although the lower trees are the same the upper has a different part number. Does anyone know the difference between the two and will the one off of my 83 work OK? Also, will the Super Brace off of my 83 fit the new front end?

Dick

The Brace will fit fine and as for the swap I have done mine by swapping from the lower legs down no problems. I eliminated the anti dive stuff. I used stainless lines and man she stops on a dime now!

The Brace will fit fine and as for the swap I have done mine by swapping from the lower legs down no problems. I eliminated the anti dive stuff. I used stainless lines and man she stops on a dime now!

I may just change the tubes down and use my present triple trees but I figured it would be easier to switch the whole assembly and grease my bearings at the same time. The main reason I'm doing this change is for the electric dampers on the new forks as mine bottoms out when I apply the brakes fairly hard. I had removed the hydraulic dampers on my present forks for better braking power. I also installed stainless braded lines so that my original stock brakes worked really well.

Dick

The main reason I'm doing this change is for the electric dampers on the new forks as mine bottoms out when I apply the brakes fairly hard.

I also installed stainless braded lines so that my original stock brakes worked really well.

Dick

Sounds like your main problem is only the fork springs....... But if you want to change it over to Mk2 front end, it's your call.

:mo money::080402gudl_prv:

Sounds like your main problem is only the fork springs....... But if you want to change it over to Mk2 front end, it's your call.:mo money::080402gudl_prv:

I weigh 300 pounds which is tough on the springs. I put in progressives around 2001 and put new ones in again this past summer, although once I pulled them out they were exactly the same size as the new ones. The front forks were rebuilt a couple of years ago but now one seal is leaking badly and they don't hold air very long. Without additional air to help the springs they bottom out way to easily. This way I get the better calipers, rotors, electric dampers that, I hope, will actually work without affecting the brakes plus seals that seal so that once again I can put in a little pressure. I got this whole front end including the master, calipers, discs, and wheel for 175.00. The bike only had 10,000 miles on it.

Dick

Edited by rhncue

I weigh 300 pounds which is tough on the springs. I put in progressives around 2001 and put new ones in again this past summer, although once I pulled them out they were exactly the same size as the new ones. The front forks were rebuilt a couple of years ago but now one seal is leaking badly and they don't hold air very long. Without additional air to help the springs they bottom out way to easily. This way I get the better calipers, rotors, electric dampers that, I hope, will actually work without affecting the brakes plus seals that seal so that once again I can put in a little pressure. I got this whole front end including the master, calipers, discs, and wheel for 175.00. The bike only had 10,000 miles on it.

Dick

That's a Steal and a good Investment.