IGNORED

First motorcycle

BIG TOM

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first street legal vehicle as a licensed operator was a 1970 Honda CB 750 with the in-line four cylinder engine. This motorcycle provided me spirited transportation to my ultimate subconscious destination at the time….......a death wish. A death wish that turned into a life changing influence.

It was because of this accident that forced me to aquire one of my most valuable life survival skills is the ability to turn a negative influence or event into a positive learning and growth experience.

May 7th, 1971 a life changing event occurred in my life. I had a combined impact of 150 mph head on collision on my motorcycle that successfully totaled a 69 Pontiac Bonneville, my motorcycle and me. This accident did in fact kill me at the early age of 16. What was left of the bike after the explosion and fire fit into three paper grocery sacks. I was poured into an ambulance. The kids in the other car came out of it without a scratch, but Daddy's car was totalled.

But, obviously that accident was not the end of the story.

The Crash:

May 7th, 1971 was a beautiful Spring day. I started the day at home adjusting the shifting linkage on my motorcycle in preparation for an afternoon bike ride. After making the necessary adjustments I went on a test ride to make sure the gears were shifting properly.

I rode to the end of my street and on to an abandoned access road along I-85 that dead ended after about ½ mile. This access road had a large hill about half way down. I had ridden to the end of the dead end road and was returning home when I approached the crest of the hill doing about 50 mph. Approaching the hill from the opposite direction was a car load of teenagers in the 69 Pontiac Bonneville (as it turned out former grade school classmates) who were going to the dead end to smoke pot. As they were approaching the hill they were racing the cars on the expressway alongside and were doing over 100 mph in the center of the road when we met at the crest of the hill. My motorcycle exploded on impact and I was catapulted over the car where I came to rest about 14 feet above the ground in the top of a Dogwood tree (Which was in full bloom at the time).

My right leg was twisted behind my back and my right foot was dangling over my left shoulder my right arm was pinned behind my back by my right leg with my right hand in my left front pants pocket. I know that at this moment you are trying to visualize this being possible. But, let me caution you to not attempt to contort your body in this position at home. It is not possible for a healthy body to get in this position. I know I have tried. But let me assure you it is possible if all the bones on the right hand side of your body are crushed or broken.

I managed to stay conscious for the next four hours which is how long it took for the paramedics to arrive, extract me from the tree, place me on a gurney and lower me down a 30 foot rock face cliff by ropes to the waiting ambulance below which was parked along side the expressway. The last conscious memory I had was the door of the ambulance closing after being placed into it.

The recovery:

At this point I’m sure you are visualizing the horror of the scene but, let me comfort you by saying that this event was the most positive, life changing event that I have ever experienced in my life. Please let me explain further.

That night the doctors explained to my family the biggest danger threatening my life was that the bone fragments of the broken bones in my right arm and leg had penetrated all the major blood vessels in my arm and leg and I was rapidly losing blood pressure and was bleeding to death internally. They were preparing me for emergency surgery to try to repair the blood vessels and restore blood pressure. They told my parents to mentally prepare themselves for my death because there was less than a 5% chance that I would survive the surgery or that night.

During that operation I lost all blood pressure and flat lined and for a few moments was clinically dead I entered that transition between life and death referred to as a near death experience. My spirit viewed my body on the operating table with the doctors frantically working on me to resuscitate my heart. They did manage to get my heart beating again and I did survive the surgery and that night.

The next morning the doctors announced to my parents that I did survive the operation and the night and my chances of living were pretty good and increasing every hour. But, they said to prepare themselves with what was to come next. I would need another surgery later that day to amputate my right arm and right leg. Even though they restored my blood pressure they felt that the bone and muscle damage was so sever that the limbs could not be repaired sufficiently to not justify amputation. During that operation the orthopedic surgeon decided to try a new procedure that had occurred to him as a last chance effort to avoid amputation. Completing the operation he felt sufficiently satisfied that the procedure would work that he informed my parents that amputation would not be necessary. But to prepare themselves with the fact that the limbs probably would heal to be useless. He expected that my right arm would hang uselessly by my side and my right leg would not heal to be able to support weight and I would never walk again and would spend the rest of my life in a wheel chair. Over the next few weeks I survived several other operations (seven total) to repair different parts of my right hand, arm, foot, ankle and leg using a conglomeration of pins, screws, nuts, bolts and plates. I was very fortunate that I did not sustain any damage to my head (I am very pro helmet laws), spine or left side of my body

From the time of the accident I stayed in a comma for three months. When I came out of the comma I found myself with my right arm and leg in traction which is were I remained in the hospital for a little over one year. The following three years were spent in a wheel chair undergoing massive physical therapy or Physical terrorism as I referred to it at the time.

I bet you are still wondering why I felt this was a good thing

It was because of the near death experience. Let me tell you what that was like.

A near death experience is like a dream of a wonderful journey to the center of the universe and back, in the twinkling of an eye. A dream that won’t be forgotten, won’t be denied, won’t be ignored. Each step of the journey revealed knowledge of basic universal truths, the answers to the questions of life, the reason for our existence. On return the specific details of that sacred knowledge is left behind, knowledge we are not meant to know as failing humans in the imperfect world of the living. But you do return with a sense of the feeling of what it was like to have once had that knowledge. And the broad strokes of the concepts to these answers remain like weapons in a warriors defenders arsenal. These weapons allow a view of the big picture and create an uncanny insight into the different scenarios we are all intertwined with. An insight the uninitiated can only imagine and only the initiated can possess. An insight entrusted that becomes a blessing, a shield, a responsibility, an endless task, a heavy burden, a work of love, a life mission.

This event was the beginning of the Dragonslayer. Recouporating from this accident required spending a year and half in traction, six months of physical therapy and then three years in a wheel chair before learning how to walk again. During that period my mother would encourage my daily progress by discussing my daily goals in terms of learning how to slay my dragons and becoming a dragonslayer. That name has stuck with me ever since then.

WOW, you are blessed!

James

I had a Kawasaki 90 when I was about 13. We used to have to walk 1/2 mile to the end of of our rd. to catch the school bus. My brother had a honda 65. He and I would run home from the bus stop and ride back out & wait for the 2 high school girls that lived dow the road from us. Their bus got there a little later than ours.

We'd give them a ride home. These bikes were the type where the girl would have to slide in close and hold on tight. I still get slightly aroused when I see one of those old bikes:)

After that I had several dirt bikes and a CB350. I got married and sold 2 bikes I had at the time to buy a piece of land. Later I had a dirt bike and sold it when I had kids. I didn't get another bike until my youngest got married last year.

Dont know how I missed this thread when it 1st came out but my very 1st bike (other than a mini bike) was a 1980 Kawasaki KX125. My very 1st street bike was a 1975 Kawasaki 750 triple 2 stroke, that was a VERY fast bike. It was good reading the responces, like many of you, I have been on 2 wheels for a long time

:happy34:

A very early 70's Suzuki T500. It was a two stroke that had the kick-start on the left side that made it a bit difficult to start when on the side-stand, so I used to stand next to it and kick it with my right foot. Drove it till the carbs fell off. Literally!

I then moved onto a mid 70's Yamaha 650 Special, an 85 Suzuki GS700E, an early 70's Honda CB500 with straight pipes and a chopped fork (NOT good on bumpy roads), now the 84 Venture Royale.

The first bike That had a tag on it was a '74 TS125 suzuki that my Dad and I bought brand new in the summer of '76. I was 15, & had saved $300, and Parschals Motorsports in Holcomb NY had a used Husquevarna 125 for sale, so we went to get it. My Dad took a look at it and then he and the owner started talking. Dick (Parschal) told Dad that he had 2 leftover ts125s for sale that were still in the crates. So Dad gave him my 300, and put another 360 with it and I ended up with a brand new bike for $660, tax, tag, and title included. I showed it to My best friend John's Dad, and and 2 days later, John was riding the sister 125. Talk about a lot of fun. And a lot of memories, and let's not forget a few scars. The bike in the pic isn't mine, but is identical.

Edited by 6pak
add note

Isn't there anybody here who was rideing a Harley Hummer, around 1957, an old beater !! ( I think it was a 51, but not sure )

Well, I got tired of 35 MHP, 6 months later and found a beat up, used, worn out, 1947 45 C.I side valve. I guess that was my first real bike !! It was sweet

( after spending $350 for engine overhaul ) at the time. Ahhhh, the foot clutch and hand shift !! never forget that. Double clutching to down shift !!

It was an art form.

Our first motorcycle was a 1968 Honda 350 that we repaired. The forks were damaged in an accident. We painted it with Honda Candy Gold paint. We rode it until we got our Honda 500. And we still have our 350, it has not been used in years, but I guess there is sentimental reasons we have kept it.

Yama Mama

Our first motorcycle was a 1968 Honda 350 that we repaired. The forks were damaged in an accident. We painted it with Honda Candy Gold paint. We rode it until we got our Honda 500. And we still have our 350, it has not been used in years, but I guess there is sentimental reasons we have kept it.

Yama Mama

We have one too just got it running again after 8 years in a garden shed.