IGNORED

Need a measurement

SilvrT

Here's a pic of the '06 I'm looking at buying. I'll need to transport it home in the back of my Dakota truck. Can anyone pls provide a measurement from point A to point B for me? Need to figure out if it will fit in the box or straddle the tailgate or what.

Thanks

I load mine on an 8ft trailer and it all fits in it. If you have a short bed pick but its 7 or more with the tailgate down then it will fit. Biggest problem is loading that big mother up that high in a pickup. Some guys use a 3/4 sheet of plywood in the bottom to help get some of the weight off the tailgate. The trailer I use is a snowbear that tilts and it sure makes it easy to get on and off. Wheelbase is showin 67 inchs so add 8 inchs for the front and 8 for the back and you should have that measurement.

measures 86" with wheel straight and 85" turned to the left thats from the front of the tire at furthest most point to where the rear tire no longer makes contact with the ground I used a 8' 2x10 in the bed to support the rear on my tailgate hardest part was securing it without scratching the paint

I load mine on an 8ft trailer and it all fits in it. If you have a short bed pick but its 7 or more with the tailgate down then it will fit. Biggest problem is loading that big mother up that high in a pickup. Some guys use a 3/4 sheet of plywood in the bottom to help get some of the weight off the tailgate. The trailer I use is a snowbear that tilts and it sure makes it easy to get on and off. Wheelbase is showin 67 inchs so add 8 inchs for the front and 8 for the back and you should have that measurement.

It's 77 inches from bulkhead to tailgate. Tailgate adds what... another foot and a half or so (I didn't measure that). I'd thought about the plywood idea and yes, getting it up there (and back off again) could be an interesting challenge. I'd trailer it if I could beg, borrow, or steal the right trailer.

hmmmmmmmmmmm.... could be interesting....

So, the next question is... how does one get that sukkah up into the back of a 77 inch pickup box with the tailgate down to add another foot and a half??? Ramping it into there would mean all the weight is going onto the tailgate and it's support cables..no?

And the rider on the bike cause you ain't pushin it up there. I would rent a trailer one-way.

No sense in messin up a new bike to save a couple of hundred.

Yes, I'm looking into the trailer rental thing but all I've found so far is a U-haul enclosed trailer that's only 4 feet high inside... but, I've just started looking so something's bound to turn up.

'nuther Q ... what's the normal weight capacity of a standard steel bumper on a 1/2 ton pickup? I'm thinking it should be sufficient to haul an RSV in a trailer..??

Rick

I sure wouldnt put that new baby in the back of the truck! I have brought bikes back in a trailer that I have ...begged....borrowed...or stolen! I sure felt better doing it that way. I noticed a boat trailer in the background with your old bike....could you rig something with this? Lay down some plywood for a ramp and away you go?

Rick

I sure wouldnt put that new baby in the back of the truck! I have brought bikes back in a trailer that I have ...begged....borrowed...or stolen! I sure felt better doing it that way. I noticed a boat trailer in the background with your old bike....could you rig something with this? Lay down some plywood for a ramp and away you go?

Ha! that boat & trailer belongs to the downstairs tenant and he's long since taken it away to who knows where.... it's not available.

But, I'll certainly go with the advice of ya'll regarding trailering the new scoot...was my first thoughts anyway.

Watch out for the windshield as you load it in an enclosed trailer. I borrowed a Halmark Cycle hauler enclosed trailer to fetch my 07 midnight from Kentucky. I thought I had went over every thing that could possibility happen. I had padded straps, extra straps and a plenty of help with me My buddy hauls Harley Ultra classics in this trailer regularly, so I thought the RSV would slip right in there. I got the dealer to run her up in the trailer and the windshield hit the top of the trailer as it went in. OUCH. Luckly it did not break it, but it did flex some as it went in. Small scatch on the top of the windshield now. That RSV filled that trailer up... It seemed a lot bigger than the Ultra Classic.

Unloadinging it, we had to take a rachet strap and compress the front supension to get her out and still had to lean her over to get away from the top of the trailer as it eased out of the trailer on to the gate.

I would not try to haul a RSV in a pickup truck. To much can happen loading and unloading. AS you probably know...the bike is balanced well but If she gets going over it is all over. I know a several folks that have messed up thier bike coming down the ramp of TOY hauler campers. Usually the ramp gates are a little steeper on these. This can cause some stuff to happen that will make you sick.

If i would going to strap my Bike on the back of my Truck, i would look out for a Ramp of a Delivery Company nearby and ride the Bike up to their Ramp or lift it with a Scissor Lift they have eventually. The Ramp should be equal in Height or slightly higher than the Bed of the Truck. Then put a thick and long Piece of Wood inside the Bed which is at least as long as the Bikes contact Patch with the Bed.

Now ride it into the Bed, strap it down and make your Way home. At home, i would seek another Company with a similar Setup to unload the Bike. If that's not gonna happen for one or another Reason, i wouldn't try to get the Bike on the Truck otherwise. The standard Cables for the Tailgate are not strong enough to hold on the Weight a Bike and the Leverage of the Weight. I doubt the steel Bumper of my '97 GMC Sierra would give me Peace enough to load a Venture.

The Towing Ball would hold enough Force but it's very dangerous because of the Steepness.

Seems U-haul here has M/C trailers for rent ... web site shows $14.95/day so that's pretty cheap! ... and my truck is already rated for 2000Lbs towing cap. with the steel step-bumper so should be good to go!

I rented a uhaul before i bought my enclosed trailer and the small uhaul they advertise at 14 bux doesnt have enuff load capacity to carry the load. I rented the 22 buck a day trailer from uhaul and it worked great for my 1st gen. but check before you go to uhaul as they did have some requirements on the hitch and wiring before they will let you take it.

heres some pics of mine in the uhaul so you can see if its what you need http://picasaweb.google.com/friesman1/MooseJawSaskatchewan

Good luck with the new scoot!

Brian

get a bus ticket,and ride it home :stirthepot:

no way to the bus idea... I'd fly! LOL

If it wasn't bordering on the brink of winter, I'd be doing just that...riding it home.. but it's way too risky this time of year. It's 760 miles with 4 mountain passes to go through. The place where it is (Calgay) has the kind of weather that one day it can be 10 celcius above and the next day minus 20 celcius and a blizzard...the passes can have 2 or more feet of snow come down overnight.... nope...way too risky to ride it.

Wife has a good idea tho and it would depend on the cost.... find a moving company with experience transporting motorcycles and get them to do it so, gonna look into that option tomorrow.

I rented a uhaul before i bought my enclosed trailer and the small uhaul they advertise at 14 bux doesnt have enuff load capacity to carry the load. I rented the 22 buck a day trailer from uhaul and it worked great for my 1st gen. but check before you go to uhaul as they did have some requirements on the hitch and wiring before they will let you take it.

heres some pics of mine in the uhaul so you can see if its what you need http://picasaweb.google.com/friesman1/MooseJawSaskatchewan

Good luck with the new scoot!

Brian

Brian... thanks for the tip on this. BTW, what's happening with your scoot? Are you getting it fixed or what?

Brian... thanks for the tip on this. BTW, what's happening with your scoot? Are you getting it fixed or what?

I am fixing mine, or rather Rocket is fixing mine, i think I am just the wrench passer, not sure how much help I will be to Paul, but I am headed up to Wainwright where Rocket is stationed to pull the engine out next weekend and spend the long weekend fixing the trans there.

So you picked up that 2nd gen demo from the dealer?

Brian

We get started on it next weekend, here in Wainwright. Basically just waiting for him to bring it up & the solid motor mounts to come in (easier to install with the engine out). I have all the anticipated parts & a few extra, here.

I am fixing mine, or rather Rocket is fixing mine, i think I am just the wrench passer, not sure how much help I will be to Paul, but I am headed up to Wainwright where Rocket is stationed to pull the engine out next weekend and spend the long weekend fixing the trans there.

So you picked up that 2nd gen demo from the dealer?

Brian

No... I don't like the grey color... I'm looking at an '06 RSMV in Calgary...private deal. Only has 1300 km's on it.

I don't see the problem with the pick-up. Just find a nice culverted driveway, drive the truck in to the ditch and back-up perpendicular to the culvert. Drive the bike right on to the truck. That is what we do. Slick, easy...and takes no time at all:)

Good idea....but you neglected to mention...have a tow truck standing by to pull ya out of the ditch! LOL

Good idea....but you neglected to mention...have a tow truck standing by to pull ya out of the ditch! LOL

I thought that was what 4WD was for....:p

btw.I've hauled them in pick-ups before with no problems.I strongly suggest using the plywood.It really helps spread the weight and will give you piece of mind.:happy34: