This is my first tech post. Maybe someone can help me. I bought a 1989 Venture Royale in July. The seller said the carbs were synched and the bike tuned. It ran great until two weeks ago. My wife and I started out on a trip, and after about 40 miles the charging system went down. I took the headlight fuse out and we barely made it back home. On the way home I noticed smoke from underneath the breather box. I found that it was the crankcase vent hoses that were disconnected. Today I removed the air box and reattached the hose.I put the box back on and when I started the bike up it wouldn't rev at all. It was like it was starving for gas. I couldn't get any rpm's without putting the choke on almost all the way. I took the box back off and removed the hoses and it still wouldn't rev. I cannot see anything that got disconnected or unplugged during the removal of the air box. I have always worked on my own bikes and can usually troubleshoot pretty well. But this has me stumped. I have already changed my exhaust collector and learned to troubleshoot my charging system thanks to the forums on this site. The shop manual with this bike gets to be very confusing. Any help would be appreciated.:scratchchin:

Problem solved. I kept working with the air breather box on my Venture and low and behold the bike will not rev without the top of the box on. Maybe I won't forget this in the furure.

The air box cover needs to be on to get it to run right otherwise to much air.:thumbsup2:

I did the AC current test on the plug from the stator. One of the readings was much lower than the other two. I pulled my stator and sure enough almost half of it is fried.

Be sure to Carefully Examin, the Large Plugs, going "TO " and " FROM " the Rectifyer/Regulator Unit for Burnt Pins.

If the White 3 wire plug is Damaged at all, best to just cut it out, and Splice, and solder the three wires.

The Output plug "from" Regulator ( 2 blacks, 2 reds ) might also be damaged.

Also Check the Main Grounding Stud, located on upper left frame member, ( 3 in. forward, and 3 inchs to left ) of the Battery. ( on the Outer side of frame member, Under upper fairing section ) Access thru radio compartment.

Also, check your Main Neg Bat. Cable, attach Point, Rt. Fwd. corner of engine case. ( Clean bolt, and resolder the Stud to the Cable ) ( Also check RED Cable at Starter motor , Cable end might be corroded )