IGNORED

Beer30, I've got a bone to pick with you!!!

Guest BluesLover

Guest BluesLover

Hey Gene - when I bought this leather bra for the RSV, I fully expected it to live through everything, and then yesterday I found out that they wouldn't stand up to a 15 foot skid!!!

In all seriousness, thank the lord for leathers and a helmet. They both saved Vicki and I from a lot worse damage after blowing the rear tire on the RSV on the highway. She is sore but otherwise ok, my face is a mess and I've got stitches here there and everywhere, but hey, I'm posting this after all...

Cheers,

Guest BluesLover
how many miles were on that tire and what brand?
It was an Avon on the rear that let go ... I think it had about 20,000 kms on it, so it was due to be replaced (which I had planned to do next week).

Cheers,

Guest BluesLover

Damn Lou! You know I sacrifised on the 2nd day of this year so nobody else had to.

Do you know why it let go?

I know ... I know. Once in the family is enough, after all!!! I was telling Scott on Saturday that I was concerned about the Metzeler on the front, but the Avon never even came to mind.

I really don't know what happened Brad, she just let go - Vicki and the lady who was riding directly in front of us said that it just sounded like a truck hitting the air brakes. I had checked tread wear and air pressure before we left the house on Friday, so I have no idea what I picked up that made it go.

Cheers,

Edited by BluesLover

Dang Lou , First off I hope you and Vicki get to a speedy recovery ! I just replaced my Mich. Commander rear today with over 16 k on it and it still had a little skin left on it and it didn't hit the wear mark just yet . But it was close too it .

Now you go and mess up my purdy work . Should have had the Dr. put a few stitches in the bras . Next BRA set we make for you will either have to have "Curb Feelers" on them or inflatable implants in them to bounce you back upright ! :stickinouttounge:

BEER30

Lou, Sure glad to hear you both are ok, and only need a little healing time.

The bike can be fixed by the looks of it.

I have Avons on my bike and my rear tire has 17,500 miles on it right now. As I was cleaning it last weekend, I noticed that there was white cords showing in two places so I order new avons Monday and they arrived last night at my door..

Two days from Calif...not bad service at all...

Avons (in my opinion) are fantastic tires and dont just blow out because of pour manufacturing methods or processes and the quality of the tires are great.

I feel when Avons just "let go" is more due to inattention to detail on the drivers part.

As you said, you thought about the front tire, but not about the Avon..

20k on any bike tire is pushing it in my book, but hey, this is my opinion and not everyone will agree...so be it..

Anyway, with 17,500k on my tires, I noticed over the last couple weeks my bike just didnt feel right ...didnt handle like I thought it should and was blaming it on the road surface...Now that I really got down there and carefully looked at the rear tire by slowly turning it and taking a lot of time to look at "all" the wear bars, I noticed hell, there wernt any left.........the rear tire is really bald in the center, but has lots of deep groves on the sides...

The front tire looks like it still has 2 to 3 k left on it, but I am replaceing it tonight along with the new rear tire.. I am not playing around when it comes to tires on the bike... it is not worth the pain & suffering, medical expences, or down time not being able to ride..

Again though, excuse my opinions please and I am sure happy you both are really ok.. :thumbsup2:

Glad to hear you made it through all that you two,,, could have been real nasty.

This spring I checked out my Avons and they had lots of tread yet, good for at least a third of the season, but then when I looked closer, I noticed the there were cracks at the bottom of the treads where they meet the casing,, so off they came and I put on new ones.

Guest tessa c2

glad to hear that you 2 are okay, one thing about skin, it always growes back, and yes like everyone says, it don't pay to run on poor tires, as you can testafy it's the only thing between you and the pavement, most of the time, and looking back, that 300 bucks is nothing, compaired to what could have happened.:backinmyday:

Guest BluesLover

20k on any bike tire is pushing it in my book, but hey, this is my opinion and not everyone will agree...so be it..

Hey Eck - that was 20,000 kms on the Avon, or about 12,500 miles. Regardless, I totally agree with you with respect to the Avons, and it will be Avons that will go back on the bike when it is time to fix it.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and well wishes too. We are both recovering well - Vicki isn't as sore today as she was yesterday and the swelling on the right side of my face has gone down.

Like some have said, it will be a much cheaper Halloween for me now, since I don't have to buy a costume! :Laugh:

Cheers,