IGNORED

trailer towing

kenw

Put some weight in it, sand bags, what ever. Put 20 -40 lbs of wieght on the tongue.measure it with a fish scale. center the other weight over the wheels. Cargo net works great to hold everthing together so it don't shift.

Go slow till you get used to it. and watch out for the dreaded wiggle at slow speed. I had it because of neck bearings were not properly adjusted. All better now.

OH! Congrates on the new trailer.

Steve

AKA Bubber

Bubber hit all the points pretty much, you do want tounge weight on the bike. Just remember that you have to keep more distance between you and other drivers as it will affect your stopping. Just tone down your riding in the twisties, and try to consiously remember that you have a trailer behind you. I can tell you that it is EASY to forget you have one there until you stop.

Also too is when you do pack it is keep the majority of the weight to the front of the trailer. If you start to drive it and it doesn't feel right or is squirrely, stop and reposition the load. You wont have to run the tires at max pressure either, this will cause it to bounce more. Set your pressures at what pulls best for you, there is no super science to that, just what the seat of your pants tell you. Once you get used to it, you'll love it, they are very handy and for long trips it really takes a lot of weight off the bike which is a good thing. I have pulled trailers behind my bikes for better than 20000 miles and couldn't imagine a week long trip with Momma without one :happy34:

Think WAY ahead...I have an Aluma trailer and I cannot tell its back there,Make turns a little wider,and some will disagree but I started by pulling it empty then slowly started adding more weight.Going downhills,IE Mountains,go slowly! Common sense

My camper loaded up weighs close to 450 pounds. Yes, all said so far is good and do think ahead. What caught me off guard when I first pulled mine was pulling away from a stop and making a turn, like at an intersection. Normally as you pull out and get a little speed, you lean into the turn. You almost have to do the opposite when pulling a trailer until you get a little speed. You have to turn more upright as the trailer wants to pull you over, especially if you are going any up hill.

RandyA

Edited by Venturous Randy

I agree that proper tongue weight is important, but I feel that 40 lbs on the bike is way too much. I haven't actually measured mine with a scale, but I believe I keep it much closer to 20 lbs. Just my thoughts, but I won't claim to be an expert on bike trailers or towing. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Trailer makers and towing pro's always say put about 10% of the total trailer and load weight on the ball.

to make it easy, start out by weighing the empty trailer, or take the manufacturers weight, being sure to add in for things YOU added or accessories.

Then weigh everything you put in the trailer (after a while, you will get in a pattern, and only need to weight stuff a couple/few times, a rough estimate is OK as long as you are keeping things within reason). Be sure to add for a cooler and the ice/water/ stuff inside.

Then weigh the pressur on the ball. Use a board inside the ball coupler, down to a bathroom scale. Example: 250 pounds total trailer+stuff, you should have at least 25 pounds on the ball. Empty, say a 150 pound trailer, put 15 pounds on the ball. Or you could go a little more for an empty trailer.

As mentioned watch out for load shift. You want the trailer slightly nose down so stuff will shift forward rather than back if it does shift, or at the worst, dead level. Keep stuff packed so it won't shift, or use a net or straps.

Finally, check the wheel bearings and how tight the coupler is. The coupler on many styles is adjustable. A nut reached from underneath can tighten the coupler or loosen. You want it so there is a little bit of play when clamped down (don't forget to use a lock or some sort of device to secure the coupler lever, they CAN come loose!)

Use some grease inside the coupler and on the ball. These can wear and cause problems, you want as little friction as possible. clean the grease and re-do a couple times a year or more depending on how much you use it.

Check the wheel bearings for proper play. I have seen trailers come from the factory with loose or tight bearings. Either is no good.

You want the bearings so there is no drag, but not much play.

Set tire pressure no more than the Max listed on the sidewall, but that is the MAX, and only for super heavy loads, you can go less, but you do NOT want too little air. Check with the trailer MFGR for their recommendations.

Finally, once you get on the road, at EVERY stop, check the tires and the wheel bearings for heat. SOME heat on the tread and a little in the bearings is normal, although on cool days, the bearings should run cool to the touch. If either is HOT or too hot to touch, you are asking for trouble, a tire failure or bearing lock up. Either can wreck you. If the bearing is hot, adjust it immediately. Same with tires. A hot tire is either underinflated or overloaded. That is why bigger trailer tires are better if you have that option.

I have towed all sorts of trailers for 40 years, and these tips were taught to me by my father who was super informed about trailers. Car, truck or bike, the rules are pretty much the same.

Of course, watch when turning, and remember that backing up is an adventure, but practice in a big empty parking lot, and you can get good quickly at backing that trailer into a space. Try to look for spots where you can park without having to back if possible.

When dodging potholes/bumps, remember the trailer wheels too. IF you feel sway starting, then slow immediately and find the problem. A tiny sway can happen to some trailers in the wind, but a big sway can take you off the road. Keeping proper tongue weight is essential in preventing dangerous sway.

And of course, don't overload the trailer. They can help you carry lots of stuff, but packing light is still the best plan.

also if you can , get a buddy to ride bwehind you. he or she can tell if the tires are wobbling. try it empty first [very slow] 20-30 and let some one watch from behind and all around. if all is well ride it around a while .. this worked for me and now i ride the limit.have ridd3en over 6k with mine wioth no trouble.. good luck and have fun,,,,,,:12101:

Ken,one more thing the tires that come on the Aluma MCT trailer say max pressure 65lbs..Thats not necessary at all..I run 40 in mine and never a bounce and pulled up to 400 lbs with no problem..Ive tried to make it start swaying and have been unable to do sobut always do as said,put most of the weight towards the front and you will never know its there..But as said earlier keep it in mind as braking could be an issue.These are great trailers and alot of Gold Wing riders pull them,in fact at the Gold Wing rallies Aluma is usually there set up.

Carry less stuff=more fun. Americans got to take the entire house. Look at all the junk in garages and $40,000 SUV's sitting outside. Wife and I did 2 weeks on a 1000cc without any saddlebags/trunks, camping!

Yeah more fun... Wear the same clothes for days or do laundry every other day... Sounds like a blast..

I got a Piggybacker this summer and went around the block once with it empty to check for wobbles, etc then loaded it and took off for Asheville. Had to keep looking in the mirrors to make sure it was still there! Found out the hard way that it is slightly WIDER than the bike and scraped a guard rail with the fender. On the twisties I almost think it helped handling a little!! Just remember at all times that it is back there especially at stop time!!

Also, I HIGHLY recommend a swivel hitch!!!!! Trust me on this one, if you accidently drop the bike, the cost of a swivel hitch is a lot less than the cost of a new hitch...

Carry less stuff=more fun. Americans got to take the entire house. Look at all the junk in garages and $40,000 SUV's sitting outside. Wife and I did 2 weeks on a 1000cc without any saddlebags/trunks, camping!

This to me is simple to answer..I ride my bike to work,Drive an 18 wheeler and out a week at a time so I have to carry A Large electric cooler,Large suitcase,Rubber boots,groceries,Rainsuit,Big metal Clipboard,briefcase..Quite a few other things that there is no way to fit on a bike so my trailer is VERY convenient.Also When I do go on a trip it It is just handy and the most important thing is...I Like It!

It's not about taking the entire house, if you take necessities for 2 and are going to be riding for 2 weeks then it is necessary. The bike is close to being overloaded 2 up with gear for a week. The trailer is a tool to have what you need and not have to worry about washing every other day. You need to have a variety of clothes for different weather conditions. I was in the Rockies in August and left Evanston WY. before dawn, it was 38 degrees, so I needed all my leathers as well as my wifes gear for her diabetes. Trailers make it safer to tour on a big where you need many different situational needs.

I just started towing a trailer this June

I was thinking like you

Well I have to say this

My first try I just took some of my camping gear loaded up

and went for a ride after a few miles you forget it back there.

after 3,000 miles of towing

Things I have learned..

Remember its back there

Stopping give yourself more time

Watch the tires on curbs, pot holes

Take it easy pulling out from a start on wet pavement rear tire can spin.

Speed bumps pay attention take em straight on if not the bike will want to pull

down to one side

Beats off loading everything into a tent

My stuff stays dry...

:Cool_cool36:

Have fun ...

Ride Safe....