IGNORED

High Output Stator......

1BigDog

Got the bike torn down right now. What a PIA tracing those wires. Got the covers off too. I need to pick me up some heat shrink tubing as well as a heat gun and a mini-torch (sorry margaret...LOL) to heat up those stupid phillips head bolts that Yamaha installed with loctite. Ill be replacing those with either an allen head or hex head bolts. Yep, im taking pics as I go along too for future reference. Got 16 pics so far. The stator has a longer wiring harness so the whole wiring can be re-routed to make soldering the connections easier. More later........

:mo money::mo money::mo money::mo money::mo money:

Where would you reroute the wires to?

I misquote when I said "move the whole thing". What I should have said was since the wiring is longer, you can route the harness through the stock location. Once you reach the area where the plugs meet underneath, you have enough wire to run it through and up to the area behind the frame where the battery sits. Plenty of room to solder the wires there and it can be tied out of the way on the frame on the left side of the bike.

Please do writeup. I just PMed Rick today to send me the instructions. I plan to do Quite a bit of work this winter and that will be on the list.

Ill do a blow by blow description once im finished. :photographing:

MuffinMan gave a class on this in Ashville this summer. Had quite a class, while the girls were drinking wine. I thought they should have been paying attention so they could take care of these little details for their Lord and Masters!!!

:rotf::rotf::rotf:

Your lookin to get shot by the warden, Ain't you? :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

Final update: Well, I fired up the bike and it still wasnt up to snuff. I pulled the rectifier down, cleaned it and the connection up real good and fired it up again. It was a bit better but still not 100%. I went ahead and ordered a new rectifier from Flatout and it came this AM. I installed it, connected the battery and WHAM....full charging again!!!!The higher output stator is doing what it supposed to do too, so all is well.

Thanks Chris at Flatout for expediting the part. Also to Squidly for suffering through my phone calls....and Muffy too!

Ill try and put together a Tech Article soon, with pics.

Okay now I have a couple of questions.

Final update: Well, I fired up the bike and it still wasnt up to snuff. I pulled the rectifier down, cleaned it and the connection up real good and fired it up again. It was a bit better but still not 100%. I am wondering what the rectifier was doing, I thought this was a go or no go piece of equipment? Was the voltage low? I went ahead and ordered a new rectifier from Flatout and it came this AM. I installed it, connected the battery and WHAM....full charging again!!!!The higher output stator is doing what it supposed to do too, so all is well. Meaning? It's suppose to operate at 13.8 or so volts, is it operating at a higher voltage? I thought the high output stator was high output Amperage?

Thanks Chris at Flatout for expediting the part. Also to Squidly for suffering through my phone calls....and Muffy too!

Okay now I have a couple of questions.

Final update: Well, I fired up the bike and it still wasnt up to snuff. I pulled the rectifier down, cleaned it and the connection up real good and fired it up again. It was a bit better but still not 100%. I am wondering what the rectifier was doing, I thought this was a go or no go piece of equipment? Was the voltage low?

No, the charging was fine, but the Signal Dynamics voltage indicator still was more in the yellow than full green. The rectifier was pretty corroded and I felt that even after cleaning I still didnt trust it. I also felt that after the charging issues that I had last year and now the need for a new stator, replacing the rectifier along with the stator was a good choice. Once I replaced it and fired it up, the charging light went immediately to green. I felt the old rectifier was weakened somehow from the bad stator.

I went ahead and ordered a new rectifier from Flatout and it came this AM. I installed it, connected the battery and WHAM....full charging again!!!!The higher output stator is doing what it supposed to do too, so all is well. Meaning? It's suppose to operate at 13.8 or so volts, is it operating at a higher voltage? I thought the high output stator was high output Amperage?

No, its not charging at a higher voltage. Like I said above...its charging quicker.

Jeff, couple of (probably stupid) questions. Let it be known I don't to my own work on my bike - and am totally NOT mechanically inclined. My Tour Deluxe is an '05, but bought brand in Jan of 06 - with 37,123 miles on it.

Last weekend, went to start the bike, dead battery - I have the stock - now three years old battery. Charged it up with a CTECH - started - no problems. I am going to replace that battery with an Odyssey. But, reading your comment above about the Signal Dynamics meter, mine always hangs around in yellow - one or two lights - never green - and that is even if I have the driving lights / heated grips off. I also never seen it dip below the yellow either.

Do you - or those mechanically inclined here - think I need to change out the stator/rectifier - similar to what you have done? Somewhere on this site, I think (and I'll do a search) of what stator you guys are replacing the stock on with - any (other) recommendations? Would those parts be covered under the warranty? I'm sure a battery wouldn't, but how about the stator/rectifier?

I have a bunch of electrical stuff on the bike - but don't usually turn everything on while I am driving. Any thoughts - comments - appreciated in advance, thanks.

Jeff, couple of (probably stupid) questions. Let it be known I don't to my own work on my bike - and am totally NOT mechanically inclined. My Tour Deluxe is an '05, but bought brand in Jan of 06 - with 37,123 miles on it.

Last weekend, went to start the bike, dead battery - I have the stock - now three years old battery. Charged it up with a CTECH - started - no problems. I am going to replace that battery with an Odyssey. But, reading your comment above about the Signal Dynamics meter, mine always hangs around in yellow - one or two lights - never green - and that is even if I have the driving lights / heated grips off. I also never seen it dip below the yellow either.

Do you - or those mechanically inclined here - think I need to change out the stator/rectifier - similar to what you have done? Somewhere on this site, I think (and I'll do a search) of what stator you guys are replacing the stock on with - any (other) recommendations? Would those parts be covered under the warranty? I'm sure a battery wouldn't, but how about the stator/rectifier?

Im personally not a big fan of the Gel batteries. 3-5 years seems to be the average that a battery holds up anyhow. Do you keep it on a battery tender? You need to check the charging with a digital multi meter and see just what #'s it shows. If its charging properly you should see about 13.70+. Mine was only showing 12.60 with the new stator at 2000 rpm's. You can also check your connections such as battery cables, grounds, etc to make sure theyre not corroded. The rectifier may also be corroded at the connection which will affect the charging. The stator in question here comes from Buckeye performance and it has more amps than the stock one but since your bike is still under warranty, id let Yamaha replace it under warranty with a stock one, "IF" it is the stator thats bad. Those pesky signal dynamic lights can drive you nuts though as they read charging rates about a gazillion times a second. Mine now goes to full green if I shut off the driving lights. However, a steady yellow shows a weak link somewhere, most likely corrosion and a weak battery.

Its trial and error. You have to find the weak link by process of elimination. Id start with replacing the battery then checking your connections for corrosion, The rectifier is a little hard to access and since you said that you dont work on the bike yourself you may want to enlist some help with this. If the DMM indicates a weak charging rate then it should be covered by Yamaha under warranty.

It drove me nuts for a while......Good luck!:080402gudl_prv:

I have a bunch of electrical stuff on the bike - but don't usually turn everything on while I am driving. Any thoughts - comments - appreciated in advance, thanks.

Patience is a virtue with the charging system......