IGNORED

new Venture rider needs info

DaveDanger

Hello All,

I'm new to the world of Ventures and need some info. I see here on the site references to "first" and "second" generation Ventures. I'd appreciate some clarification on the terminology. I suspect it's purely the year model ranges, but not sure.

Also, Is there a site or post that provides some history of the development of the Venture in its various models to help me follow the differences between them. My bike is an '06 Midnight Venture, but I have no idea whether it's a Royal Star, a V-Star, or any of several other somewhat nebulous names.

I thought I'd bought a Yamaha, but I seem to get the impression that there's a grey area here that I'm not familiar with.

Help me!

You have a generation 2 Venture, also called a Royal Star Venture.

Welcome to the family. If you look on the left side bar of this web site you should find a Venture history section.

You did buy a Yamaha, a few years ago Yamaha decided to declare the "STAR" line of bikes as seperate from their other road bikes. If you go to Yamaha's web site you can see all of the STAR line bikes offered, that should help you understand the differences.

The Venture is the the king of the group, best you can get.

Good Luck.

So nobody else wants to make this statement, but almost everyone who has asked your question in the past has been told, so now I give you the previledge to hear the answer,,,,,the real answer. :stirthepot:

The differences between the 1st and 2nd gens is that the 1st gen was built 1st and the 2nd came after that, the first gens looked like a Venture and the 2nd gens 'looked different somehow'. the first gens are faster, have gauges, are nicer to ride, can be fixed more often ('course the time will come for that for the 2nd gens as well), are harder to find, are less expensive to purchase, give you something to do, even in the 'off' season.

I suppose more folks will chime in and give their opinions, but this will do for a starter.

Now boys,,,,,keep it civil:happy65::whistling::think:

Carl started it!!!!

first gens are the REAL ventures, and Second gens are Harley wannabe's!

and did i mention any first gen , will out run a "blue and white 2001"

lol

just jt:stickpoke:

Yamaha realized they missed the boat designing the 1st gens so after quit making them in 93 for 6 years decided it was time to make em right. Thus the 2nd gen bikes we have to this very day. Regardless if there is any resemblences to the Harley brands if you'll look you'll see these bikes are much more advanced, thou I will admit Harley is now playing catch up.

Yea jt might be right about a certain redneck's "blue & white" but it should cause the redneck is a pretty big fellow and add in the fact that the 2nd gens are heavier , well you can see it's a tough fight. Myself I'll gladly give up a little speed for the comfort the 2nd gens provide over the 1st gen models.

Anyhow welcome to the site here Dave and pay no mind to those :stirthepot:.

Larry

Anyhow welcome to the site here Dave and pay no mind to those :stirthepot:.

Larry

He will soon find, that is an attraction to this site & will keep coming back, to see the comments being tossed out.

Eventually, he will be joining in on the fun, himself. The 1st gen Vs 2nd gen, is all in fun around here & we like to have fun with it.

For myself, I don't think my back will take to kindly to the 2nd gen seating position. I know with the 1st gen seating position, my trips to chyro had been greatly reduced, now just the Parked Motorcycle Season (PMS for short)..........

Sure go ahead and confuse the poor guy with the MkI and MkII. By the way those are 1st gens. The MkI is from 83-85 the MkII is 86-93. Give the poor guy a chance to get to know us before completely confusing him.

Welcome to the site. Hope they don't scare you off, they do mean well just can't help themselves. :rotf::rotf:

Margaret

and can't ketch the wind like we do!!!!!!

Welcome Dave.

To add to Mini's comment the second gen is from 99 to present and there is very little changes in the past 10 years, just improvements to certain items that were not the best quality from the start.

Dave does not need to know about MK this and that as he already seen the light and bought the right one.

DAN you mean passing wind Right ? :rotf:

BRad

Sure go ahead and confuse the poor guy with the MkI and MkII. By the way those are 1st gens. The MkI is from 83-85 the MkII is 86-93. Give the poor guy a chance to get to know us before completely confusing him.

Welcome to the site. Hope they don't scare you off, they do mean well just can't help themselves. :rotf::rotf:

Margaret

Don't really want to confuse things anymore,,,,,,,,but the 85 is a stand-alone, it's improved over the 83's and 84's and has all that the younger set (86 to 93) has to offer , but is faster, has good color, the wobble, the waddle, and a host more of things that really don't need to stir the pot.

YAH,,,,,, 85 is the best of all worlds.

Thanks All! :)

Ya'lls replies were enlightening and elucidatorial in the extreme !

I kinda figgered on my own that the 1st gen and 2nd gen had to do with the manufacture years of the earlier and later models. The Star, Royal Star, and such had me gasping for breath though. I'll peruse the history links and see if my old southern brain can osmose some of the facts and figures :)

Appreciate it again,

I have been active over on the GSresources site for several years now and will wade into a verbal conflagration with the best... once I know the combatants, and whose side I'm on :)

Thanks All! :)

Ya'lls replies were enlightening and elucidatorial in the extreme !

I kinda figgered on my own that the 1st gen and 2nd gen had to do with the manufacture years of the earlier and later models. The Star, Royal Star, and such had me gasping for breath though. I'll peruse the history links and see if my old southern brain can osmose some of the facts and figures :)

Appreciate it again,

I have been active over on the GSresources site for several years now and will wade into a verbal conflagration with the best... once I know the combatants, and whose side I'm on :)

DAVE, armed with all the intelligence, and b.s.,you have gained in the past 24 hours, you can't lose!

just jt

Dave.

I'll sort out all of the confusion and crap floating around this thread.

Mate - you are a second gen owner. That's all you have to worry about.

Forget those other wannabes who live in the past with their first gens.

:stirthepot:The term 'dinosaur' keeps springing to mind.:stirthepot:

Dave.

I'll sort out all of the confusion and crap floating around this thread.

Mate - you are a second gen owner. That's all you have to worry about.

Forget those other wannabes who live in the past with their first gens.

:stirthepot:The term 'dinosaur' keeps springing to mind.:stirthepot:

Perhaps, but a very fast dinosaur!:bikersmilie:

My crystal ball says a modern looking 3rd Gen is in the not very far in the future. The old school look (2nd Gen) is a fading with the chopper look etc. They had a good run but the sun is going to set on that style. :cool18: I've been wrong before I'm having a hard time waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting..................

Edited by CrazyHorse