IGNORED

stock radio repair or replace

Oldseadog

Hi all, I've been sculling about around here for a few months now and I have learned quite a lot about my bike. So now I have a question about my 84 VR. When I first bought it, the radio powered up but as there was no antenna I couldn't get any stations. The other day I finally replaced the antenna and now the radio will not even power up. I've checked the fuses and didn't see any blown ones. I haven't yet checked for power to the unit, don’t really know where to start. But seeing as the radio/cassette isn't working, would now be a good time to change it out to a more modern unit, one with a CD player? If so, what would you replace it with? Would a marine unit be a good choice? If I can get the old one working, does anybody know where I can get a new plastic cover for the cassette? I broke the corner off, trying to remove it one day. I then lost the piece before I could glue it back together. Thanks for all your help. I really enjoy visiting this place, and hope one day to be able to get to a rally, and meet a few of you.

Bill

I've checked the fuses and didn't see any blown ones. I haven't yet checked for power to the unit, don’t really know where to start. But seeing as the radio/cassette isn't working, would now be a good time to change it out to a more modern unit, one with a CD player? If so, what would you replace it with? Would a marine unit be a good choice? If I can get the old one working, does anybody know where I can get a new plastic cover for the cassette?

Bill

Greetings from a Mill Bay member, stuck in Wainwright AB.......... :canada:

There is a couple of inline fuses on the radio wiring harness, inside the left fairing (you may need to remove the console top, to see them). A new cassette cover can be ordered from Gary @ Duncan motorcycle (think it was about $20. when I got one there)........

If you decide to go aftermarket, a marine unit would be best, but stay away from a Sony unit (problems has been reported with them).

Stay away from Sony no matter what product they have on the shelf! Quantity has been overtaken quantity in the recent years (I would not own another Sony product even if it was free). Tiz, why I do not have a Blue Ray player or a Playstation 3 (I have an XBOX and XBOX 360 even though I am not a MS fan either - if you are worse than MS, that is a real problem), waiting for the prices to drop on other Blue Ray players.

CD players are not a real option on bikes and every slight bump and jolt they will skip. You would be better off wiring an MP3 player into the system or using a cassette adapter with one. Diagrams on the site.

Hi all, I've been sculling about around here for a few months now and I have learned quite a lot about my bike. So now I have a question about my 84 VR. When I first bought it, the radio powered up but as there was no antenna I couldn't get any stations. The other day I finally replaced the antenna and now the radio will not even power up. I've checked the fuses and didn't see any blown ones. I haven't yet checked for power to the unit, don’t really know where to start. But seeing as the radio/cassette isn't working, would now be a good time to change it out to a more modern unit, one with a CD player? If so, what would you replace it with? Would a marine unit be a good choice? If I can get the old one working, does anybody know where I can get a new plastic cover for the cassette? I broke the corner off, trying to remove it one day. I then lost the piece before I could glue it back together. Thanks for all your help. I really enjoy visiting this place, and hope one day to be able to get to a rally, and meet a few of you.

Bill

I would repair your OEM equipment and put in a jack to plug in your Ipod.( I think there is a wiring diagram somewhere here that shows how to do that.) I took OEM out a while back and miss it in some respects. I especially miss the speed senstive volume and the uptop controls.I also miss the fact it plugs in and out very quickly if theres a heavy rain or for parking in a bad spot.

I cant use the Cd in my new unit very much as it skips so I use the USB stick and that works very well. I find the controls on the new unit not very good for use with gloves where the OEM was pretty easy to use with gloves. I also worry about the new one in the rain or I put the marine cover over it and have to fumble to use it.

Just my 2 cents.

Brian

PS DO NOT EVER buy the Sony marine unit!!!! it was a terrible experience with SOny

Pull the radio out and check for power on both red wires on the rectangular plug in the fairing if you have power then the problem is in the radio.

I was not able to find a vertical CD player when I went looking for one to put in CLay18s bike so if you find one let us know.

Jeff

Guest Vermincelli

I swapped out mine for a Sony marine CD player with the remote and haven't had a problem. Matter of fact, it plays CDs with no skipping (I even have it mounted vertically) unless I slam into a pothole.

I have the rear speaker connections connected to a speaker set in my helmet so I just use the fader to go back and forth between dash/helmet.

Thanks for all the replies

Muffinman, when I come ashore in a couple of weeks I will be checking the two red wires as you've suggested. I wonder if it could be just a connection between the rectangular plugs and the radio.

I like the idea of hooking an MP3 player/Ipod to the radio. I will search for the wiring diagram. I never thought about the CD unit skipping, makes sense though. Has anyone hooked satellite radio to their bike?

I have. I use a cassette adaptor to get the audio into the system. I made a small bracket and glued it onto the top of my windshield to mount the antenna which in my case is a magnetic base, and ran the antenna lead along the edge if the windshield and hid it with plastic automotive door moulding. Keep in mind I have a tall shield.

Anyway, the reception is about as good as you could expect for satellite radio, constant drop outs in hilly terrain, etc. I'm not a huge fan of XM but the unit was free...

We have satellite radio. We've had both XM and Sirius. Personally I like the XM equipment better (there antenas, and raidos hold up better) Sirius does have a better line up of channels. But now that they have merged, they are supposed to give us a la carte programing so guess we'll have to wait and see. Muffinman direct wired the sat radio, not sure how. You can ask if you're interested. I just listen to it I have no tech knowlege on how he did it. :)

Margaret

I suppose my answer isn't like some of the others. The factory radio is at best marginal, and unless you have the Royale model with a CB I would just replace it...here's why.

The stock radio doesn't put out much power and you can't put bigger (read more power handling) speakers in without them sounding bad. You can upgrade yourself to the latest technology and buy a radio with a CD player and Auxillary plug in to run an MP3 player which is really the way to go. The Aux jack will also allow the use of Sattelite radio or a GPS. I suppose it's all in how much time and money you want to toss at the stock sterio. It might be something, which you can check for, but if it starts taking hours upon hours to diagnose, then I would probably let it go. Not that it matters, but if it were me and it didn't have the CB...I would replace it all and have a better sounding system for probably right around $200.....0.98 cent's less than a buck :2cents:

Guest Vermincelli

I suppose my answer isn't like some of the others. The factory radio is at best marginal, and unless you have the Royale model with a CB I would just replace it...here's why.

The stock radio doesn't put out much power and you can't put bigger (read more power handling) speakers in without them sounding bad. You can upgrade yourself to the latest technology and buy a radio with a CD player and Auxillary plug in to run an MP3 player which is really the way to go. The Aux jack will also allow the use of Sattelite radio or a GPS. I suppose it's all in how much time and money you want to toss at the stock sterio. It might be something, which you can check for, but if it starts taking hours upon hours to diagnose, then I would probably let it go. Not that it matters, but if it were me and it didn't have the CB...I would replace it all and have a better sounding system for probably right around $200.....0.98 cent's less than a buck :2cents:

I got my deck on ebay with the wired remote and a wireless remote. Has the Aux input for Ipod and satellite receiver, $50 bucks.

Would my 85 Standard be wired for OEM CB?

NOPE,,,, mind you, that's only a pennies worth so I had to type some more.

As far the radio is concerned,,,there are 2 inline fuses that can be accessed behind the left front signal light,,,check for these first to make sure they are good, and connected properly. In my opinion, if the radio is the culprit, trash it,,,,,,Squidley is some-what right, but I get good sound from mine,,,,but the real issue here is that the unit is as old as the scoot,,that makes it about 24 years and electronics are only good for about 20 to 25 years,,, so once they get that old you would be throwing good money after bad. I wouldn't even buy one off of ebay today unless it was out of a '93 guaranteed!

I’m glad I’m getting different opinions, gives me something to think about until I get home

I hate to waste my money, though I’ve done it on MANY numerous occasions, I’m just nervous about buying off eBay. I know a lot of people do it, but it makes me nervous. What if what I’m buying is someone else’s junk.

The radio that is in the bike has an intercom but no CB. The PO and I have not been able to find any connections though.

I don’t see how a new unit will mount in there. Is there a mounting plate one can buy or do I have to make one? I can do some fabrication, so that isn’t a problem. I can get some thin aluminum plate to cover the opening and put a newer unit underneath, with maybe some jacks for an Ipod or something. I suppose by putting a plate in there I would have a place to mount some auxiliary switches and such.

Thanks again and I look forwaard to everyones comments

Bill

Guest Vermincelli
I’m glad I’m getting different opinions, gives me something to think about until I get home

I hate to waste my money, though I’ve done it on MANY numerous occasions, I’m just nervous about buying off eBay. I know a lot of people do it, but it makes me nervous. What if what I’m buying is someone else’s junk.

The radio that is in the bike has an intercom but no CB. The PO and I have not been able to find any connections though.

I don’t see how a new unit will mount in there. Is there a mounting plate one can buy or do I have to make one? I can do some fabrication, so that isn’t a problem. I can get some thin aluminum plate to cover the opening and put a newer unit underneath, with maybe some jacks for an Ipod or something. I suppose by putting a plate in there I would have a place to mount some auxiliary switches and such.

Thanks again and I look forwaard to everyones comments

Bill

If you do an indash style swap there are 2 ways. One is to mount it under the cover on the right with a remote on top of it to control it. The standard cage that comes with the stereo can be riveted to the old stereo frame.

Other way is the way I did it by mounting it through the cover. The cage mounted to the rotating cover and free floats with mine.

I bought a 83 standard cover (non stereo model) from Yamaha which is still in stock and about 30 bucks then used a marine rotating cover to keep rain out and ran the remote over to the center tank cover.