I went on a ride to day 7:30AM about 48 degree's all of a sudden a loud whine, Puled in clutch still whine. Slowed down the bike so did the whine just be for complete stop the whine stop. Stared to go again no whine then about 20 miles the whine returned same as before pulled in clutch still whine just before stop it quit. Did this three times in 50 miles. Sound like from the u joint or drive shaft, I greased the final drive and the drive shaft when I put new tire on 11,000 miles ago. Went 150 Miles never happened again, I have a new tire to put on the rear so while it was apart maybe I can fix this if I new what it might be. :think:

Thanks, Dale

that sounds kinda like mine did before the main output shaft on my 85 went. I had a whine that would come and go and i couldnt track down. finally found it when my output gear went inside the gear box.

the guys here think that the driveshaft snapped at the ujoint and was held together by the nut, and i couldnt find it. it set up a vibration that took out the gears eventually.

Brian

heres a couple of pics

This is easy but a little work. Your problem is the speedometer that needs grease where the cable goes into the housing. You really need to remove the dash and speedometer to take it out and put good moly grease down into the bearing area. If you get caught out and it does it, just unscrew your cable housing at the front wheel axle. Just make sure you contain the cable. Also when you put it back together, make sure you get it tight at the speedometer so the housing does not unscrew and you loose the cable. I put a wire tie around the cable near the speedometer so if it did come loose, it will not fall out. This also helps keep the cable in place when you take the dash out.

You will hear more of this happening on here as it usually gets worse as the weather gets cooler.

One other fix if you do not want to remove the dash assembly is to take the cable loose and use a stiff wire to push grease up through the hole where the cable goes. I do not suggest squirting WD40 up in the hole as it gets all over the inside of the speedometer.

RandyA

Thanks, RandyA I will try this and see what happens

This is easy but a little work. Your problem is the speedometer that needs grease where the cable goes into the housing. You really need to remove the dash and speedometer to take it out and put good moly grease down into the bearing area. If you get caught out and it does it, just unscrew your cable housing at the front wheel axle. Just make sure you contain the cable. Also when you put it back together, make sure you get it tight at the speedometer so the housing does not unscrew and you loose the cable. I put a wire tie around the cable near the speedometer so if it did come loose, it will not fall out. This also helps keep the cable in place when you take the dash out.

You will hear more of this happening on here as it usually gets worse as the weather gets cooler.

One other fix if you do not want to remove the dash assembly is to take the cable loose and use a stiff wire to push grease up through the hole where the cable goes. I do not suggest squirting WD40 up in the hole as it gets all over the inside of the speedometer.

RandyA

I went on a ride to day 7:30AM about 48 degree's all of a sudden a loud whine, Puled in clutch still whine. Slowed down the bike so did the whine just be for complete stop the whine stop. Stared to go again no whine then about 20 miles the whine returned same as before pulled in clutch still whine just before stop it quit. Did this three times in 50 miles. Sound like from the u joint or drive shaft, I greased the final drive and the drive shaft when I put new tire on 11,000 miles ago. Went 150 Miles never happened again, I have a new tire to put on the rear so while it was apart maybe I can fix this if I new what it might be. :think:

Thanks, Dale

Was it a whine or more like a groan?? Speedo's will develope a moan/groan from several different areas. Usually happens when cold and just starting out. Stop and it goes away, and sometimes never starts up again until the next cold morning. Mine was caused by the cable fitting coming loose where it attaches to the dash. Others report dry, or damaged speedo cables.

that sounds kinda like mine did before the main output shaft on my 85 went. I had a whine that would come and go and i couldnt track down. finally found it when my output gear went inside the gear box.

the guys here think that the driveshaft snapped at the ujoint and was held together by the nut, and i couldnt find it. it set up a vibration that took out the gears eventually.

Brian

heres a couple of pics

Friesman, if you want the complete set I have a pinion that matches your output shaft. My pinion broke between the splines and the nut, just like your output shaft.

Friesman, if you want the complete set I have a pinion that matches your output shaft. My pinion broke between the splines and the nut, just like your output shaft.

sucks dont it, at least ive got some time to round up parts and give my trusty fantastic mechanic friend(note the buttering up...he reads everything in here...:rotfl:) time to get them in before spring. I woulda been real ticked if it woulda happened in early June or sumthing..and woulda lost a good summers riding....lol

Brian

sucks dont it, at least ive got some time to round up parts and give my trusty fantastic mechanic friend(note the buttering up...he reads everything in here...:rotfl:) time to get them in before spring. I woulda been real ticked if it woulda happened in early June or sumthing..and woulda lost a good summers riding....lol

Brian

Not everything, but quite a bit.......... :canada: But you would be better off with a matched set anyways.

The first time I had this happen, I was down on the Outer Banks of NC, abour 350 miles from home. I was a cool morning and was taking a beautiful ride. Then, all of a sudden I had the crap scared out of me. If you put groan, moan, whine and squeal all into one and made it loud, that is what happened on mine. It made so much noise that it was hard to determine where it came from. When I pulled over and when I got down to about 5mph, the noise quit. I sat there a minute doing the clutch in, clutch out, in gear, out of gear and everything seemed fine. Being that far from home it does tend to magnify problems a lot more.

I pulled back on the highway and rode for miles and it did not do it again. It did not do it until I got the bike back home. I knew it had to be something besides the drivetrain as those noises tend to not come and go. When it happened a couple more times, I took the cable loose and determined it was related to it. I did the usual pull cable out and lube it and that did not stop the noise.

I ended up pulling the speedo and greased the bearing and all is well. I have greased it a couple of times over the last 60,000 miles with no problem. I hope this resolves your problem.

RandyA

Edited by Venturous Randy

randya

Did you take the whole dash apart? I removed the cable an pushed grease up in to the bearing where the cable gos and put cable lube in the cable.

The first time I had this happen, I was down on the Outter Banks of NC, abour 350 miles from home. I was a cool morning and was taking a beautiful ride. Then, all of a sudden I had the crap scared out of me. If you put groan, moan, whine and squeal all into one and made it loud, that is what happened on mine. It made so much noise that it was hard to determine where it came from. When I pulled over and when I got down to about 5mph, the noise quit. I sat there a minute doing the clutch in, clutch out, in gear, out of gear and everything seemed fine. Being that far from home it does tend to magnify problems a lot more.

I pulled back on the highway and rode for miles and it did not do it again. It did not do it until I got the bike back home. I knew it had to be something besides the drivetrain as those noises tend to not come and go. When it happened a couple more times, I took the cable loose and determined it was related to it. I did the usual pull cable out and lube it and that did not stop the noise.

I ended up pulling the speedo and greased the bearing and all is well. I have greased it a couple of times over the last 60,000 miles with no problem. I hope this resolves your problem.

RandyA

What kind of animal? I'm going to be ripping out the 1st Gen tranny this winter and putting in a 2nd Gen tranny with vmax rear end. What should I should I look for when I do this?

If it's trans related you're going in the right direction. I've never been inside the trans, but there are some very knowledgeable members here who have. There's also a ton of posts on the subject. I doubt you would have time to read them all. Any noise that comes and goes when the clutch is worked is either in the clutch itself or the trans. Good luck.

:sign back to topic:

If it's trans related you're going in the right direction. I've never been inside the trans, but there are some very knowledgeable members here who have. There's also a ton of posts on the subject. I doubt you would have time to read them all. Any noise that comes and goes when the clutch is worked is either in the clutch itself or the trans. Good luck.

:sign back to topic:

Thats what I'm figuring its just an annoying noise that I'd like to get rid of. I'm hoping its not a cracked or broken driveshaft.