IGNORED

Drift HD 170 Camera

pickinfred

After reading many articles on the Go Pro Hero and Drift HD 170 cameras, has anyone used the Drift HD 170 and if so, I would like to know the Pros and Cons in your opinion.

I read the posts here on VR about the Go Pro but think I like the aerodynamics, viewing screen, controls and remote on the Drift maybe a little better...but not sure......sooo help me decide .... THANKS ...

Freddie

After researching all the options I went with the Drift HD 170 Camera. I have not used it a lot this summer for I've not riden much due to working 28 days on 2 days off. Then my daughters wedding. If you compare it to the Go Pro and the Contour the Drift jumped out ahead with more state of the are features. One thing I liked is the off and on remote control I put on the handle bars. Just one thing I have not gotten used to yet is with gloves on it is hard to tell if I pushed it hard enought to turn it onn or off. They should have put a light on it. Green for recording and red for stop or something like that. Picture is nice and clear. I used it for my daughters wedding and it worked great on a tripod. I also liked the extra mic accessory. Being that the internal mic is muffeled so not to pick up all that wind noise. That means that the sound pick up is not really loud when using for a normal video camera, but still sufficient. The external mic picks up great. I bought mine from Revzilla for they they had a special when the Drift 1st came on the market and they give a $5 rebate for each $100 you spend and I bought Tour Master suit for my wife so I was able to get the external mic and cover free from the rebate. The LED is also nice which the others do not have. I've read that the Go Pro is like going back to DOS in the computing world. Not very user friendly. The one draw back for the Drift is that it is not water proof but rather water resistence. Good enough for rain but not if submerged into water very far. I had to use white ink to mark for the rating lense for my helmet that I hooked on the side so I knew where to set it for the helmet. Do the research and I think you'll aslo choose the Drift. If you wait a while I'm sure that the competitor will be more competitive with their features. But I could not get any committments from the other vendors as to when they were going to have their upgraded product on the market. I'm guessing that they would have to make a new camera and so it could be a while. I'd be interested in what you select. Ask me questions and I'll try to answer them.

After researching all the options I went with the Drift HD 170 Camera. I have not used it a lot this summer for I've not riden much due to working 28 days on 2 days off. Then my daughters wedding. If you compare it to the Go Pro and the Contour the Drift jumped out ahead with more state of the are features. One thing I liked is the off and on remote control I put on the handle bars. Just one thing I have not gotten used to yet is with gloves on it is hard to tell if I pushed it hard enought to turn it onn or off. They should have put a light on it. Green for recording and red for stop or something like that. Picture is nice and clear. I used it for my daughters wedding and it worked great on a tripod. I also liked the extra mic accessory. Being that the internal mic is muffeled so not to pick up all that wind noise. That means that the sound pick up is not really loud when using for a normal video camera, but still sufficient. The external mic picks up great. I bought mine from Revzilla for they they had a special when the Drift 1st came on the market and they give a $5 rebate for each $100 you spend and I bought Tour Master suit for my wife so I was able to get the external mic and cover free from the rebate. The LED is also nice which the others do not have. I've read that the Go Pro is like going back to DOS in the computing world. Not very user friendly. The one draw back for the Drift is that it is not water proof but rather water resistence. Good enough for rain but not if submerged into water very far. I had to use white ink to mark for the rating lense for my helmet that I hooked on the side so I knew where to set it for the helmet. Do the research and I think you'll aslo choose the Drift. If you wait a while I'm sure that the competitor will be more competitive with their features. But I could not get any committments from the other vendors as to when they were going to have their upgraded product on the market. I'm guessing that they would have to make a new camera and so it could be a while. I'd be interested in what you select. Ask me questions and I'll try to answer them.

Golf & Venture....I appreciate your reply and information. I bought and used one of the $16 small spy cameras and was actually impressed with the results after mounting it on the helmet. The angle of view is much narrower than the 170 degrees of the Drift and that combined with the poor mounting bracket, also being on top of the helmet to absorb all the wind didn't help the quality......but like I said....for $16 I was surprised with the video results.

I want a camera that will produce video clips of rides between points of interest, meets, overlooks and etc. with quality compared to the still pics I do with my Nikon coolpix P 300 ( 12 MP). I think a mix of video clips along with still pics would be more interesting than just a video.

I want to use audio recordings that I have made at different "Jam Sessions" I've played ....so the internal mic being muffeled is not a problem for my plans. I may want to hear the bike a few times while going up through the gears but ....not interested in hearing the "WHINE".

I read that Drift has a new camera that does 9MP stills and is somewhat smaller than the 170....I think Drift HD Action?

Golf & Venture have you used your 170 until the battery was discharged and if so...how long did the batt. last?

I don't plan to buy until Jan...Feb...hoping something will come along thats smaller/better before then.....but the Drift Action looks OK.

I bought the drift this spring just for fun. I tied an extra speaker into the intercom and taped the external mike to it. The audio is a bit quiet. I want to hard line it this winter to get rid of external noise (mike is bouncing) and better sound.

The remote is nice, I can turn it on in the morning and leave it in standby until something interesting comes along. I have it tied into power in the trunk.

Video quality is good enough for me. It looks way better full screen here.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNc54hE7tSI&feature=feedu]drift 170HD on goldwing in rogers pass.m4v - YouTube[/ame]

The remote is pretty short range, almost line of sight short. very dependable at turning on but I have a few clips that are about an hour too long. I can see myself push the off button.:doh:

Scotty

I've had thoughts about buying a Go-Pro but the price turned me off, as well as the hard line price fixing aloofness that they had. But... the Drift looks interesting, and I found one place that has them priced at $209 when doing a Google. I also found this nicely done... I think... Youtube that gives a pretty good sales pitch for one. Christmas is coming... Hmmm??

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW3521vp_1Y]Drift HD170 Camera Review at RevZilla.com - YouTube[/ame]

The GoPro just came out with the GoPro HD Hero 2

Professional 11MP Sensor

2x Faster Image Processor

2x Sharper Glass Lens

Professional Low Light Performance

Full 170º, Medium 127º, Narrow 90º FOV in 1080p and 720p Video

120 fps WVGA, 60 fps 720p, 48 fps 960p, 30 fps 1080p Video

Full 170º and Medium 127º FOV Photos

10 11MP Photos Per Second Burst

1 11MP Photo Every 0.5 Sec Timelapse Mode

3.5mm External Stereo Microphone Input

Simple Language-based User Interface

Compatible with Wi-Fi BacPac™ and Wi-Fi Remote™

Long Range Remote Control of up to 50 GoPro Cameras per Wifi Remote

Wi-Fi Video/Photo Preview, Playback and Control via GoPro App

Live Streaming Video and Photos to the Web

The remote is nice, I can turn it on in the morning and leave it in standby until something interesting comes along. I have it tied into power in the trunk.

Video quality is good enough for me. It looks way better full screen here.

Scotty..if I read this correctly, you leave the camera connected to external power and the Drift camera's record function will still work?

The small, cheap camera that I played with this fall would not record while connected to the bike's accessory power.....

I agree....the quality is good enough for me also.....How did you have the camera mounted?

"Condor" looks like.....Drift has a new "DRIFT HD" that will be available "soon"....it is supposed to be 25% smaller....and do 9 MP still pics....looks like about $20 more than the 170 with everything else being the same.....

"Condor" looks like.....Drift has a new "DRIFT HD" that will be available "soon"....it is supposed to be 25% smaller....and do 9 MP still pics....looks like about $20 more than the 170 with everything else being the same.....

Thanks for the heads up Fred. I can wait. I like HD.... :)

I have a gopro, and I like it.

I have considered purchasing another camera... I was looking at the Contour and now the Drift. But, seeing the new features of the GoPro2, I will likely go with the GoPro2

my GoPro HD is still a great camera, I just want another angle to record during the ride.

Rick.

The GoPro just came out with the GoPro HD Hero 2

Professional 11MP Sensor

2x Faster Image Processor

2x Sharper Glass Lens

Professional Low Light Performance

Full 170º, Medium 127º, Narrow 90º FOV in 1080p and 720p Video

120 fps WVGA, 60 fps 720p, 48 fps 960p, 30 fps 1080p Video

Full 170º and Medium 127º FOV Photos

10 11MP Photos Per Second Burst

1 11MP Photo Every 0.5 Sec Timelapse Mode

3.5mm External Stereo Microphone Input

Simple Language-based User Interface

Compatible with Wi-Fi BacPac™ and Wi-Fi Remote™

Long Range Remote Control of up to 50 GoPro Cameras per Wifi Remote

Wi-Fi Video/Photo Preview, Playback and Control via GoPro App

Live Streaming Video and Photos to the Web

The Go Pro website didn't really go into detail on the Hero 2 as far as weight and dimensions.....and I think the only way you get a remote is with the extra purchase of a wi-fi back... not sure...I'll look more.

I prefer the Go Pro videos on You Tube and like the 11MP still pics that the Hero 2 offers.........but the led screen, remote and aerodynamics of the Drift are the big 3 for me.

Darn it seems that everything I buy, I buy too early.

Technology doesn't set idle very long.....but the big difference between the new HD and your HD 170....I think is new is +$20, 1 inch shorter, weighs .63 ounce less and has + 4 MP on the still pics.??

Probably someone like Myself or Condor would be more than willing to assist you in giving that ole Drift HD 170 a little TLC .....if you were to buy the newer Drift HD..:confused24: :stickpoke:

[quote=pickinfred;

Scotty..if I read this correctly, you leave the camera connected to external power and the Drift camera's record function will still work?Yes it will record tied into vehicle power.

The small, cheap camera that I played with this fall would not record while connected to the bike's accessory power..... The salesman told me it would operate as normal on external power and by gar he was right.

I agree....the quality is good enough for me also.....How did you have the camera mounted?

Attached is a pic of the mounting. I think it was a rack from a old fridge, that I cut apart and welded back together, hose clamped to the luggage rack.:whistling:

The Go Pro website didn't really go into detail on the Hero 2 as far as weight and dimensions.....and I think the only way you get a remote is with the extra purchase of a wi-fi back... not sure...I'll look more.

I prefer the Go Pro videos on You Tube and like the 11MP still pics that the Hero 2 offers.........but the led screen, remote and aerodynamics of the Drift are the big 3 for me.

Technology doesn't set idle very long.....but the big difference between the new HD and your HD 170....I think is new is +$20, 1 inch shorter, weighs .63 ounce less and has + 4 MP on the still pics.??

Probably someone like Myself or Condor would be more than willing to assist you in giving that ole Drift HD 170 a little TLC .....if you were to buy the newer Drift HD..:confused24: :stickpoke:

Actually I was just being silly when I said. "Darn I always buy to early". I'm usually the opposite. I will use what I Purchased far past its normal useful days, then I will upgrade. Before I bought the Drift HD 170 I was still using my Video camera that uses tape.

I have two Drift’s, bought one and was so impressed I got the other shortly afterwards. One mounted at the front (handlebars) and the other at the back off he antenna, take them everywhere. The GoPro I found was too “toy like” and too much to figure out. The contour was my first pick in the beginning but like pickinfred, the screen and remote sold me. To each their own I guess.

I have a gopro, and I like it.

I have considered purchasing another camera... I was looking at the Contour and now the Drift. But, seeing the new features of the GoPro2, I will likely go with the GoPro2

my GoPro HD is still a great camera, I just want another angle to record during the ride.

Rick.

Rick..... does your Go Pro have a remote without buying the accessory Wi-Fi back?

After using the $20 small spy camera that someone mentioned earlier this year on VR......which produced impressive videos for the price,..I seemed to have a lot of unintresting video of riding mile(s) in areas without scenic mountains, streams, overlooks and other favored subjects.... that could be edited out during the ride with a remote, thus conserving memory and battery....

Joe...a good find!!

I searched the Contour website and didn't find the 1300 HD ...sooo is the 1300 being phased out or did I miss it? One thing for sure....the $99 price is super great for a HD Video camera that small!

Fred

Just one thing I have not gotten used to yet is with gloves on it is hard to tell if I pushed it hard enought to turn it onn or off. They should have put a light on it. Green for recording and red for stop or something like that.

The remote is pretty short range, almost line of sight short. very dependable at turning on but I have a few clips that are about an hour too long. I can see myself push the off button.:doh:

Scotty

I found this on the Drift site..........this should take care of your problems.....This accessory has been available since Oct. 18 2011...I did not see a price.

Drift HD LED Cable - Connects to the rear of the camera, and ensures the user can see if the camera is on or off, even when the camera is out off sight. The LED emits an Ultra Red colour that has two distinctive levels of brightness. A less intense lighting to indicate the camera is on, and then a very intense lighting to indicate the camera is in record mode. Length: 1m

Fred,

Mine does not have the remote control, but is a feature I wished for over the past 2 years I have had mine.

Same here, I have "lots" of video of just riding, nothing much interesting going on, but the time that something interesting would happen, with my luck... the camera would not be on.

I do plan on getting the remote when it comes out, but I am also considering a less expensive camera for my next purchase. ( I want one to point at the wife and I while riding, and another to point backwards off my luggage rack. ) with multiple cameras, I get more editable footage for the same saddle time.