IGNORED

venting stock windshield

CaptainJoe

Before going with the GW vents you might talk with Squidley. He puts 2 Round vents into the stock shield. I can't remember where he gets the vents but some say that those vents are more affective than the GW vents.

Check this site out.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ap/vents.html

I threw these on one of my goldwings

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/vistavents.php

And this is a goldwing vent which i plan on installing in a taller windshield. i have the rsc not the venture but hate having to remove the windshield in hot months and returning it when the cold mnonths return. i rather have the protection and option to vent when I need.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ75278

Before going with the GW vents you might talk with Squidley. He puts 2 Round vents into the stock shield. I can't remember where he gets the vents but some say that those vents are more affective than the GW vents.

This is the company and the vents that I have used in the past. I used the CC 3251 models, they work out pretty good and you could still use the Goldwing vent in the center part of the windshield and the round vents out towards the sides of the shield. if you have any questions PM or call.

This is the company and the vents that I have used in the past. I used the CC 3251 models, they work out pretty good and you could still use the Goldwing vent in the center part of the windshield and the round vents out towards the sides of the shield. if you have any questions PM or call.

Darn it, :( we both forgot we were gonna put these in my bike at Doodles MD

I just did a GW vent in mine. There's an ebay seller that has the for 29.00 and cheap shipping. the hole cutting wasn't too bad but had to mod the vent mounting thickness a bit too. The round vents look way easier.

Frank

Hey guys,

I ordered the 2 - cc3251 vents as per Squidley

Lookin at the $29 vents from Saber Cycle Honda Goldwing Parts on ebay

It says its not oem but will fit a goldwing 1500 windshield?

I think Goldwings came in 3 flavors 1200, 1500 and 1800..

Which Goldwing vent is the better profile match for a stock RSV windshield???

I would be carefull buying from sabercycles.

Within my years of owning goldwings I have been screwed and heard alot of horror stories from other members of a different site.

The items are not the greatest quality and show it.

\ the old addage, you get what you payed for

I've had the Goldwing center vent and the round vents on each side of it installed for probably 5 years now. So far, no issues at all. Now I'm not saying that it helps all that much to have three vents but that's just the way it ended up. I don't even remember why. If I were doing it again, I would probably just go with one or the other. After using both, I think that I actually prefer the Goldwing vent. The round ones work fine but you need to be VERY careful that you don't get the holes too big. I used the right hole saw and then just very lightly sanded the rough edges off and it is just loose enough that the vents sometimes will close on their own. On the other hand....they are easier to clean because they don't catch the bugs like the Wing vent does.

For that reason, I actually prefer the round vents.

But I do think that the Wing vent is a better operating mechanism. That is why I prefer the Wing vent.

On the other hand, the round vents can be rotated to better direct the air flow and that is why I prefer the round vents.

hmm.............I've confused me now.....:think:

Be very careful cutting holes in wind shields. Clearview cut BEFORE moulding to avoid stress cracking.

If you do this (and it can be done), the round vents will be safer .... If you want a square hole, then drill the corners first and leave the corners round when you cut the opening.

Smooth the edges very carefully and leave no chips or other sharp points.

You should be fine.

I can't answer your question. I know that the one in my shield was for the 1500 but I don't know if the one for the 1800 is different or not. I know that it was not a perfect fit. The curvature was fine but the Clearview shield that I put it in was a bit too thick. I made it work but it wouldn't snap together like it is supposed to. I think I ended up using some clear silicone to hold it together.

Freebird, do you remember which GW vent you bought? "Ko, I'm a slow typer...LOL"

As far as the cutting goes, your right, drill corners and jig sawto remove rest.

I will mark windshield with a permanent marker, fine tip, and pre-cut with an exacto knife to get past the clear coat. Then I will put " Fresh " painters masking tape (blue) on the botton of my jig saw. This will eliminate the problem of seperation of the hardcoat from the windshield.

A trick in aviation to stop cracks is to drill a small hole at the end of the crack. It will stop the crack from getting worse... l

I need some clearification. I'm hearing that the retangular one from Saber Cycle does not snap together due to the extra thickness of the windshield and therefore require some sanding so the two pieces snap together and then some silicone.

Does the OEM Goldwing vent also require extra sanding for both the 1st and 2nd gen VRs.

I did mine in 2007, at the time I didn't know any one else had done this.One of my friends has a GoldWing and we eyeballed his windshield and mine and determined that we thought it would work, so I ordered one. I will say that if you decide to get one, make sure it is a genuine Honda part.Had another friend order one aftermarket and it was not as well made and did not have as much adjustment as the Honda part.I think I paid around $50 for mine at the time.I took the vent and laid on on a piece of construction paper to get the outline and taped the front of the shield with painters blue masking tape and then measured about 200 times,or so it seemed, then traced it out and cut it out with a dremel with a straight cutting bit. Take your time and work slow as the plastic will melt with the heat if you try to go too fast.Drilling a hole at all 4 corners is a good idea and will help from making a mistake and cracking your shield. If you do it on the bike, make sure to cover every thing up as the dust will go everywhere and stick to everything.I had to use a grinding disk on about an 1/8 of an inch all the way around the cut out to thin the shield enough for the vent to fit properly.You can not tell mine did not come that way from the factory.I think there is a step by step on the Venturers.org website under 2nd Generation Tech section under aftermarket accessories. Good Luck!

Edited by Hotrod

Just to be clear... mine came from Sabercycle and I was extremely pleased with the shipping,part and price. Was here in 2 days.

The 1500 vent fits well as far as curve but did require some extra work due to windshield thickness.I thinned the vent NOT the windshield.

Frank

Here's the reply I got:

The two vents are identical in construction (neither is heavier than the other) but they are definitely not the same shape. If you line them up side-by-side and look at the tops you'll see they fit two differently curved windshields. The vent for the 1800 has more curve to it, the 1500 vent fits a flatter windshield. If at all possible, I would suggest that you compare the windshield on a GL1500 and a GL1800 Goldwing to the one on your bike, then choose the one that matches the curve of yours the best. I'm expecting the 1800 vent to fit best because the Royal Star Venture's windshield has quite a curve to it. We have the 1800 vent in smoke and the 1500 vent in both smoke and clear and all are the same price.

Thanks!

- hhammons

Sounds like I should go with the 1500 as per Freebird, Huummmmmmmm, Thats assuming the clearview has the same curve as the stock shield...