I am having trouble finding a thread on here (there probably is one and I apologize for not finding it).

I am going on Sunday to look at an '88 Venture R that I would really like to buy. Are there any suggestions on what I should be looking for as far as trouble signs? I do like to tinker to a point, but want to be able to confidently ride the bike right away this summer.

Thanks!

Todd

Look carefully at the plastic for cracks or repairs.

Check the tires and brake pads.

Of course make sure it runs well, all the lights work. Should ride smoothly without any clunks, suspension shouldn't sag excessively etc. Hold the front brake and push down on the handlebars a few times, look for oily rings on the inner fork tubes (fork seals). Look for any oil or coolant leaks, check again after you ride. It has a CMS (systems status display), make sure that after it's self test all indicators go out except side stand (if down) and fuel level. If it's a Royale (I think maybe all 88 on are) check the CLASS (air suspension controller, only works with key in ACC position), the radio, CB and intercom work.

A good trick is to look at the fluid color in the window of the clutch and front brake master cylinder. Anything lighter than honey colored indicates they've been maintained. Darker doesn't necessarily indicate a problem but brake fluid changes are often overlooked. If they've been kept up odds are the other stuff has too.

Edited by MiCarl

Look carefully at the plastic for cracks or repairs.

Check the tires and brake pads.

Of course make sure it runs well, all the lights work. Should ride smoothly without any clunks, suspension shouldn't sag excessively etc. Hold the front brake and push down on the handlebars a few times, look for oily rings on the inner fork tubes (fork seals). Look for any oil or coolant leaks, check again after you ride. It has a CMS (systems status display), make sure that after it's self test all indicators go out except side stand (if down) and fuel level. If it's a Royale (I think maybe all 88 on are) check the CLASS (air suspension controller, only works with key in ACC position), the radio, CB and intercom work.

A good trick is to look at the fluid color in the window of the clutch and front brake master cylinder. Anything lighter than honey colored indicates they've been maintained. Darker doesn't necessarily indicate a problem but brake fluid changes are often overlooked. If they've been kept up odds are the other stuff has too.

:sign yeah that: plus let it sit and idle til warm and then check for smoke from the exhaust when you blip the throttle...

Pull the front brake on and rock the bike back and forth. Shouldn't be any play or movement in the steering head bearings. As said before, you can do this while you're checking the front forks for sagging/bottoming out/ oil leaks etc., etc.:080402gudl_prv:

:sign yeah that: plus let it sit and idle til warm and then check for smoke from the exhaust when you blip the throttle...

If it dose smoke what does that mean. I noticed the other day after waiting on a long stop light there was some blue smoke in my mirror.

If it dose smoke what does that mean. I noticed the other day after waiting on a long stop light there was some blue smoke in my mirror.

Blue/white smoke is oil, black/grey smoke is unburnt fuel...

PS... see my previous post...

I found an '89 that I am going to look at tomorrow. I spoke with him this morning and the only thing he mentioned was that the screen where the PSI (I assume for the air ride) is cracked. He said it still displays, just cracked. He also stated he has "never filled the air up" for the air ride. Is this something he would need to fill? He said the screen just shows PSI and nothing else. Is this normal behavior or what would that indicate?

Thanks!

You don't fill it, it has it's own compressor.

It only works with the key in the ACC position. It'll read 0PSI until you select either front or rear, at which point it shows you the pressure in that portion of the system.

It's got buttons for High, Medium and Low. The system won't do anything until you select one of those. It has a Manual switch that will allow you to use the increase/decrease buttons to set pressures other than the High, Medium and Low defaults.

If the CLASS control unit display has only the top plastic cracked and not the LCD glass, it's a very easy and cheap fix to do.

After removing the unit, remove the face, then you'll see on the inside the top clear plastic piece on the display unit. It's only glued in. You can remove it to make a new piece from plastic purchased at your local hobby shop or hardware store. Then glue it back in there with super glue.

Bought it today! '89 Blue VR. I am extremely excited. Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions, I felt much more confident knowing what to look for. It has a few nicks and dings here and there and probably needs a little work, but it runs great. One of the carbs was burping a little but a can of Seafoam and fresh gas and runs like a top.

I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow!

• 2 weeks later...
OK, I finally had a chance to wash, wax, and mist n' shine. Here are the pics...even got a free train with it!

That looks Great,But the color dont look like the year,that looks more like it has been repainted with 92 93 colors,I thought 89,and 90 was a lighter blue.Looks like you got a very nice bike.:thumbsup2:

That looks Great,But the color dont look like the year,that looks more like it has been repainted with 92 93 colors,I thought 89,and 90 was a lighter blue.Looks like you got a very nice bike.:thumbsup2:

The '89 I have that Grey Ghost bought from me is that color. Actually the '89 and 90 are identical as Dave P has Kevins old bike and they are twins....nice looking scoot

:)