IGNORED

MK II CDI Needed - Any ideas?

Hey Venture Riders

My 88 VR is in the shop with a faulty CDI that needs replacement. I have hit up ebay and a few other sites, found one but not sure about how often the CDI's go out on the MK IIs. So I'm weary about buying a used one pulled off a bike that I don't know anything about. Yamaha dealer is about $500 *OUCH*

My mechanic is working on trying to find one also. I trust him and what he can find but he and I both agreed that neither one of us can look everywhere. So I'm reaching out to you all for help to get me back on two wheels...

Does anyone know of someone or somewhere I could look to find a CDI for a 1988 Venture Royale that's reputable?

Thanks for reading guys (and gals) :happy34:

- Chris "The Crimson Knight"

Sorry, nothing from me. Just wanted to say "Hey, what's up? I have not seen you in a long time."

Yea, kinda been off the radar for a while. Crazy weather we've been having here! Haven't ridden much at all in the last 6 months. Now i'm paying the price, obviously. Anywho, that's my New Year's resolution, RIDE MAS!

Thanks RandyR, that certainly is an interesting thread. I'm not sure it's a solution for me though.

I'm not mechanical enough to understand 100% of the information discussed there. The IgniTech TCI (which I'm assuming is the same as a CDI) is a good solution if you know how to tweak the timing using the software.

But it seems there is still work to be done on that and I'm not sure if my mechanic is familiar with adjusting timings in that manner. I certainly wouldn't want to blow a head gasket or throw a rod.. Again, this is just my perception based off what I can understand.

I'm visitng the "Dr." on Saturday so he can cover what they did to determine that the CDI needed replacement. I'll be discussing this with him. I have a feeling that he'd have to read through the thread (6 pages) to get a feeling about the IgniTech TCI. Because I certainly couldn't paraphrase it.

$250 - ish for a programable, NEW CDI / TCI is a heck of a deal though.. I really appreciate the info!

ok Just an idea. I called a fellow that has a classified add in the first gen parts and accesories. He is the one with the add that he is parting out a 90 and 91. His nuber is at the bottom of the add. turns out he rebuilds the cdi boxes to like or new condition for 150 bucks. Im gonna send him my 91 box as soon as I get the money.

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/2598/cat/6

David

ok Just an idea. I called a fellow that has a classified add in the first gen parts and accesories. He is the one with the add that he is parting out a 90 and 91. His nuber is at the bottom of the add. turns out he rebuilds the cdi boxes to like or new condition for 150 bucks. Im gonna send him my 91 box as soon as I get the money.

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/2598/cat/6

David

Thank you, David. I have contacted John about your idea and will wait to hear back from him on if he can help me.

That could be an excellent option.

I thought I would post a brief update. I visited my mechanic today and went over the options I had. He was very familiar with computer programmed ignition systems and was impressed by IgniTech's product. We decided to persue that route and see if it works. Since it's programable, brand new and comes with a 2 year warranty (hopefully won't be needed), I feel comfortable with the $225 + Shipping price tag.

So I have contacted the company and requested to order one. I'll wait to hear back from them and let you know how I make out. I'll be posting in the original thread about IgniTech so I can share our results (hopefully all positive).

I want to thank all of you who made offers and hope this solution works as expected. But if it doesn't I'm happy to know that I have other options to pursue.

-Chris