IGNORED

Building a 83 trailer hitch.

I've given up on buying a hitch assembly for an 83. a buddy that has a full service shop says he can build me one if I can get photos of a hitch off the bike and or measurements and photos on a bike.

Anyone able to help me? He will havethe bike at his shop to measure, but would like a starting idea as to waht they look like, how high they are mounted, etc....

Anyone's photos of the hitch on their bike with the bags off on a 83 would help a lot as well. We need to know where everything mounts to and how it sits. The more photos the better on this one. It might not be a bad idea to post photos of the 84's and 85 as well so that the differences can be seen side by side.

After I'm all done I'll gladly start a new thread on a complete how-to and all drawings and measurements so that anyone else later on can make one or get one made.

Anyone's photos of the hitch on their bike with the bags off on a 83 would help a lot as well. We need to know where everything mounts to and how it sits. The more photos the better on this one. It might not be a bad idea to post photos of the 84's and 85 as well so that the differences can be seen side by side.

After I'm all done I'll gladly start a new thread on a complete how-to and all drawings and measurements so that anyone else later on can make one or get one made.

Why would there be a difference between an 83 and 84/85?

Dick

My timeline for building this hitch was just pushed up.

My buddy said that if I want him to make the hitch it needs to be right away as he is slow right now and has a big job coming up in 12 days. I'm rushing to reassemble my bike in the next 3 days so I can ride it to his shop to get it started.

I need to see where the mount points are to begin with.

My timeline for building this hitch was just pushed up.

My buddy said that if I want him to make the hitch it needs to be right away as he is slow right now and has a big job coming up in 12 days. I'm rushing to reassemble my bike in the next 3 days so I can ride it to his shop to get it started.

I need to see where the mount points are to begin with.

I have pictures and most of the sketch with mount point dimensions. I will try my best to get them posted this evening.

RandyA

I am going to add some pictures and a sketch. The dimensions are from hole centerline to centerline. The steel dimensions are bottom strips are 3/8th by one inch. The strips going up to the top bolt holes are 1/4 by one inch.

RandyA

You will have to compare the characteristics of the hitch with the sketch for it to make sense.

If you click on the sketch it should get big enough to read.

Great job, Randy! I'm about to get started on mine, but it's an 84 and will be a little different. I'm going to make a receiver hitch, as I also want to put a cooler rack on there sometimes. I'll post pics and layout when I'm done.

Thanks again,

Dan

Hey! This is the receiver hitch I built for my 84 about 1.5 years ago. Then I found a chrome one to replace it with. Even though I thought it might be a bit wimpy as far as side to side movement is concerned, it actually worked great. I didn't get any sway from my trailer at all. There's even a bracket to mount a mudflap. If your interested in it, I willing to part with it. Have any goodies you might want to trade? Left side mirror? Valve covers? A rubber band for holding the side covers on? Misc.?

I added a picture of the bike with the hitch and a trailer attached just to give an idea. Of course it sat much lower with 2-up and the trailer tongue was about even with the rear axle.

Thanks, Bill