IGNORED

Headsets for RSV and H-D Ultra Clasic

KiteSquid

Do any of you have a 1999 or newer H-D Ultra Classic that you use a headset on?

I was wondering if they pin out is the same for it and the 2nd Gen RSV???????

Also, I cant seem to find a pinout diagram for the 2nd gen RSV headset, but I can find one for the 1st gen in the tech library. I need one for the 2nd gen.

Edited by KiteSquid

In about 1998 Harley went from 5 pins to 7 pins. The 1st Gen Venture, 2nd Gen Venture, older HD, and Goldwings up to a certain year all use a common 5 pin. Some have a shrouded connector. I know my friends 1500 wing fits my 1st Gen. Ask WildHair to be sure, but I think Kaw's are similar. I have seen a 7-5 adapter. Note sure what feature you lose going from 5-7. They do make use of the pins.

JB

I found the pin-outs......

The RSV pin-out from the top page of the Dlphifourms:

http://members.cox.net/toma2/images/Audio.gif

This is the H-D pin-out from the web:

Ultra Headset DIN Plug Pin-out:

Looking at the 7-pin connector with the index groove in the connector at the twelve o'clock position, the bottom pin is #2. So clockwise from the index groove the pins are #6, #1, #4, #2, #5, #3, #7.

6 is the shield/ground (one o'clock position)

1 is the microphone input (three o'clock position)

4 is the microphone ground (five o'clock position)

2 is the speaker ground (six o'clock position)

5 is the left speaker positive (seven o'clock position)

3 is the right speaker positive (nine o'clock position)

7 is the handheld PTT (eleven o'clock position)

The shells for the 5 and 7 pin DIN are the same and the first 5 pins are in the same locations, SO the differences are the added pins 6 and 7 which are Shield and Handheld PTT.

I don't need a handheld PTT, and the Shield might be needed in a high Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) environment, but we can probably dispenser with it, even though the coiled headset cord would be more susceptible to EMI than a straight cord.

Could somebody please plug a 5 pin DIN corded headset into their H-D to test it? I don't have a headset, or a H-D with a CB handy...

Edited by KiteSquid

Guest MikeH386

When I got my '07 Ultra I used my helmet w/mic & headset from my '89 VR. I could listen to the radio & CD but not talk with the the intercom. All I did was get a new lower cord from J & M and everything works great. The folks at J & M are really good. I sent an e-mail info request and had a reply the next morning.