IGNORED

What else will I need to finish this?

I have the factory radio that has the the CB plug in in the tuner. I will imagine I will need;

• the cable that goes from the cb to the tuner.
  • cable to the splitter, if it is not apart of it.
  • Something with a PPT. Can I put an 86+ left controller with a PPT on my 85 and make it all work?
  • Maybe change the antenna from the whip I have to something else if needed.
  • The fairing part for the CB and Class to sit in.

The above is my guess and do nto kn ow if I am missing anything. Well, I know I will need at least three parts - cable from CB to Tuner, something with a PPT and that plastic fairing piece. Anyone got these parts or tell where I can get them? Pinwall has some left controllers with good lettering but will need to see if any has the PPT button.

Rick,

The only purpose of the splitter is so you can use the cb antenna for both your cb and radio. For those of us who have a 2nd gen, you will note that we have 2 antenna's, one for the radio and the other for the cb. Some 1st gen bikes mounted a 2nd antenna and did away with the splitter. Besides it's also a pain when setting the swr for the cb, because not only do you need to set the cb antenna but you also need to match the splitter, which is what that screw is for.

I'd mount a seperate cb antenna of your choice and throw the splitter away?

Rick

Everything you need can be found at BikeBandit.com, prices are good and shipping is reasonable.........dont go to the stealer for any of that stuff, you will get ripped, the radio mounting plastic was around $35.00 last time I checked.

I have the factory radio that has the the CB plug in in the tuner. I will imagine I will need;

• the cable that goes from the cb to the tuner.
  • cable to the splitter, if it is not apart of it.
  • Something with a PPT. Can I put an 86+ left controller with a PPT on my 85 and make it all work?
  • Maybe change the antenna from the whip I have to something else if needed.
  • The fairing part for the CB and Class to sit in.

The above is my guess and do nto kn ow if I am missing anything. Well, I know I will need at least three parts - cable from CB to Tuner, something with a PPT and that plastic fairing piece. Anyone got these parts or tell where I can get them? Pinwall has some left controllers with good lettering but will need to see if any has the PPT button.

• the cable that goes from the cb to the tuner. Yes you will need this but sometimes hard to find.
  • cable to the splitter, if it is not apart of it. The stock antenna is not for CB. I needed to get a CB antenna which included the cable from the antenna to the splitter. This can be used for both CB and Radio. Separate antenna's can be used as well. Marcarl has separate and I have one. Mine works fine and I like the clean look of just one. I didn't have to mess around with jury rigging a mount.
  • Something with a PPT. Can I put an 86+ left controller with a PPT on my 85 and make it all work? I got a PTT button from Wingstuff meant for a passenger on a 1800 wing. It is waterproof. I got 2 of them so the navigator can chime in whenever she wants.
  • Maybe change the antenna from the whip I have to something else if needed. I originally used a firestick but broke it with my garage door so now have a base loaded 3' steel. Works fine. 3' gets into and out of the door without having it hit anything.
  • The fairing part for the CB and Class to sit in. I moved the class forward and installed the CB in the rear portion of the existing top cover. The space is somewhat larger so using a dremel tool I cut a piece from the plug that needed to be removed and glued it in to fill the space. If you want pictures I can do that. Marcarl did it this way as well and it works fine. The overflow bottle for the rad needs to be moved a tad as well.

There is a wiring diagram available here on the site. It is fairly easy. there are 5 wires coming from the CB and unless you want the handlebar controller you only need 4 of them. I cut my plug and bought a new one from an electronics outlet. If someone is willing to cut off the plug from a harness that would work well.

Let me know if you need any help.

Wayne

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, now on the right post.

What plastic am I looking at here? 22, 25 & 30, anything else? I picked the 87 model, I could not see it on the 85, figured they were the same. Is there a bracket that the two bolts will slide into on the bottom of the CB?

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/yamaha-motorcycle-venture-royale-xvz13dt-1987-fairing-2/o/m7880sch216809

That 5-pin cord is $77, gotta be a better solution than that. Is there a year that does not have what looks like a hand held mic slot/holder on the top cover (if what I am seeing is what I am seeing)?

That 5-pin cord is $77, gotta be a better solution than that.

Try a music instument store, they might have 5 pin right angle cords in stock (to stay under the rubber cover of the amp), not sure if you can find one in a short length though. I had previously found one about 10 feet long, just after I got my bike & was less than $15.

Rocket is right about the 5 pin for the headsets. You may be able to pick up a MIDI cable from online or a music store with right angle heads on it. Midi cables are also shielded so will work fine. The cable from the CB to the Main radio is different though and harder to find.

I did NOT get any plastic from a MKII but modified what I had to make the CB fit. It meant moving the CLASS up to the middle and puting the CB in the bottom. I took the piece of plastic that covered the hole and cut it to make a spacer to fill the hole the CB was going in. It is not as big as the CLASS top to bottom so the space needs to be filled but it works perfect and looks like it is suppose to be there. The overflow bottle needed to be moved just a tad as well.

I believe a left hand control from a MKII would work as well but I opted to get a waterproof button from Wingstuff that I 2 sided taped to my existing left hand control and it works perfect. I got a second one that velcros to the passenger grab handle so the navigator can put her 2 cents in as well.

If you want pictures I can take them and upload. Let me know.

The existing antenna is not for CB so you will need to get a CB antenna. One from a MKII would be the easiest fix. I changed mine to a standard CB and had to change the whole thing including the cable. Works fine.

Wayne