IGNORED

1st Gen Driving Lights

Well, I finally finished my driving lights. I used the brackets from here, the Optronics lights from Wal-Mart and stuff from the electrical box. I replaced the light hardware with stainless steel 1/4" allen bolts. The cross bolt is 1 1/4" and the vertical bolt is 3/4". I used S/S washers and acorn nuts. The hardware was about $8.00. The 1/4" bolts actually thread into the metric holes. It is tight but they run in with a wrench. Gives them a safety retainer feature. I retained the light bezel with a #4 S/S screw and some blue locktite on the screw. The switch operates the ground side of the relay. The 12VDC side of the relay coil is supplied by the accessory fuse. The main power comes from the battery via a 15amp fuse. This shuts the lights off when the bike is turned off, preventing accidental battery drain. The relay is mounted on the bolt that retains the noise filter. As set, each light is drawing 4.3 amps. The system seems to be doing ok. Voltage is remaining above 13.5 at idle. Runs up to about 13.8 at 2K. Without lights on I am showing about 14.1 at idle and 14.6 at 2K. The MR16 bulbs are 55 watt and appear to be a narrow flood pattern. I may change to a narrow spot later. Initial impression is good. A lot of light and the roadside is illuminated well. Total cost for the job including lights is about $45.00. This is figuring in a mil-spec waterproof switch with rubber toggle boot. Pictures attached showing screw, hardware, and finished product.

JB

Looks good there JB :happy34:

I have purchased a set of those light for one of the Canadian members that I'm going to see this weekend. I'm still looking for a set that is of the 3 1/2" diameter in chrome, but the smaller ones look good. I know that I wouldn't want to ride any 1st gen around releying on just the stock headlight.

Squidley-

When I get home I will check. I think I found the larger lights for under $50.00 a set. Also, hold onto another set of brackets. I will send you a paypal for them. I intend to purchase a second set of everything and box it all up. You know how BMD is (multiple bike disease). Now, I need to find a good set of horns to finish that area off.

JB

Squidley-

When I get home I will check. I think I found the larger lights for under $50.00 a set. Also, hold onto another set of brackets. I will send you a paypal for them. I intend to purchase a second set of everything and box it all up. You know how BMD is (multiple bike disease). Now, I need to find a good set of horns to finish that area off.

JB

Got plenty to go around, I'll have a set ready to go when you are

:happy34:

• 2 months later...

Are these lights available at all Walmarts in USA? I am in Canada and a friend was just across the border in NY and checked several Walmarts there and they said they don't carry them. When available.....how much is Walmart selling them for?? I notice JC Whitney carries them too...so i may order from them. Are the brackets still available here? Thanks.