IGNORED

Dropped my Helmet, need reccomendations on replacement

Sunman

if i bought a new helmet every time i dropped mine, i would have several hundred of them. i bought a new hjc last year and when i got home with it the bottom of the box opened up and it bounced all over the garage floor. wore it today and it still works fine. go figure. :2133:

As I tried to clear up after my first post, there is certainly some damage to the helmet, although no damage to the shell. The guide gear mechanism of the flip face, has been damaged. The chin bar still locks firmly in place, however, it does not stay raised anymore. I believe that structurally the helmet is sound when locked, but since the gear mech is broken, the helmet is not 100%. I am going to buy a helmet, and attempt to repair my current lid, to have as a spare.

my half helmet decided to make its escape when i forgot to fasten the strap after putting it on at the gas station. as soon as i got to about 80 kms/hr, the damn thing decided the time was ripe and took the plunge. looked back in the mirror and saw it bouncing on the road for about 50 ft or so. turned right around, picked it up, and right...i still use it...it's got some scratches on it, but hopefully other helmets will think twice about escaping after they see what happened to this one.

now if anyone is feeling concerned about me, my birthday is on the 1 st of august. :322:

too bad about the artwork, sunman. was a neat looking helmet, having seen it in person.

Hey Abdul, no worries it was NOT the custom lid, it was my SY-MAX. The skull helmet only comes out for special occasions.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/video_player.shtml?vid=283819

Here is an interesting video from Jay's garage. I have just purchased a Nolan 103, probably the most comfortable helmet I have ever had on.

Keith O).

I would have loved to purchased a Nolan but they only go up to a XXL. My normal size in everything is XXL except for helmets. Need a XXXL for my bucket head.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got 1 of my new lids yesterday, I went with a ZOX Genessis SVS helmet.

http://www.shopatron.com/product/part_number=86-5600*/1540.0.48340.54611.0.0.0

It is a modular (flip up) helmet, with an inner Solar Visor that I can lower at any time. I normally fit into an XL, but in this product, I felt the Large was a better fit. It accepts my bluetooth headset with no modifications. I am still waiting on the Shark Evoline helmet, waiting to find dealers with sizes in stock so I can try them on.

I see I'm late , would like to let everyone else know I found great helmet deals on motorcyclecloseouts.com SHARK HJC BELL & more . I just received my SHARK RSX retail $480 closeout $150 , build date was Sept. 07 but I think it's a steal ! (I tried it on at a local store first ) Hope everyone doesn't miss the post now that Sunman has his lid . New member 1st post & no I don't work for the website but if you mention Terry Scearce sent you maybe I can angle for a discount next order (always want something) . Slow hand isn't a Clapton reference but a typing one (hard to ramble with hunt & peck). I've been reading threads for a couple of weeks & was going to wait to get a camera but for now I'll live with PICTURES reply to any relevant post .

• 4 weeks later...

After reading that a helmet should be replaced every so many years, I let my HJC CL-14 go with the Burgman and did some research on flip-ups. I landed on the HJC IS-MAX. I found New Enough had what seemed to be the best bang for my bucks, @ $144.00.

It came in and I have ridden with on several short trips, a total of about 100 miles. I really like it, especially because it has the built in sun shade. With the old CL-14 I seemed to always have the wrong shield on it (tinted one at night or the clear one during bright sun).

Ventilation is way better than the CL-14. I do have one gripe. The wind noise is WAY worse than the F/F CL-14 or my 3/4 CL-33. Has anyone else bought the IS-MAX? What is your experience with it?

Thanks for the reminder. I've got a White one that was from NewEnough too.

I've had it for over a month now. I love it in a lot of ways. I had a Nolan N100 but found it was too tight on the jaw. the HJC is much better now. The flip down sunshade is great. It sounds tinny, but BFD. It works great.

YES, it is pretty noisy. When I ride my Pacific Coast it's too loud, but hidden behind the barn door that is my Venture Royale, it's just fine, and oh so convenient. I really like being able to walk into gas stations and speak clearly without yelling at the dopes at the counter.