IGNORED

Car tire mounted on a RSV

flb_78

Also FLB even if I were to buy a Harley tomorrow I will still be here.No plans to go anywhere.

Glad to here that Scott.

As far as the Tire companies recommendation... From BF Goodrich this morning in the email:

Mark,

Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

We do not recommend using a Passenger car tire on the back of a motorcycle. A Passenger car tire is not designed to handle the same as a motorcycle tire.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-877-788-8899 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 9:00AM and 5:00PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

Bobby

BFGoodrich Tires

Consumer Care Department

Now I know for a fact that someone will come back and say "their just trying to cover their butts" True, wouldn't you? They have no responsibility to you because you are not using their product as it was designed to be used.

Most insurance companies say no, tire manufacturers say no, bike manufacturers say no. Seems that if you try this your are TOTALLY ON YOUR OWN if something happens... even if it's NOT the tires fault.

Edited by gibvel
include entire text of email

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one put a CT on my bike for one purpose...to get the mileage that an MT fails to provide.

If the MT manufacturers made tires like they used to, then I wouldn't need to run a CT, but I'll be damned if I am going to be taken for the cost of two sets of tires a year for more than the tires I use on my 4x4 Dodge, which last 40,000 miles....

I give a rats pituty about the arguments ,ya or nay on the subject. I have friends that have been using CT's on their Wings and Valkyries for years and have never had a problem form the tire, insurance companies or dealerships while still under warranty....That's good enuff for me.

You've beat the bejesus outta this dead horse...why not just get over it, and let those that ride decide...

I don't think that it is something for everyone, nor is it only for the experienced hard core rider..a newbie could go directly to a CT with no trouble...

I studied this issue for over a year before I made the change, and even then I was apprehensive and most likely overly cautious my first few times out, but after a few times it was just like any other tire...you adapt to the characteristics very quickly and with little effort....

Another note from another tire company saying not to use car tires on motorcycles. Yawn and snore. How many times do we have to read all the naysayers stuff? You don't have anything new left to say, and it's all been refuted over and over again. If you don't want to run a CT, then don't. Past that, drop it already.

ok so what is the best size ct for a rsv???

im going to try it myself BUT i will not let the better half on the back till i get the feel for the ct

andd how it will handle for me

The CT size that most closely matches our rear tire in height and width is 165/80R15. It's a bit of an odd size and there are only two or three manufacturers making this size of tire. The 155/80R15 is smaller and will put the speedo a little farther off than it already is. It will otherwise work fine. A 175/80R15, well, good luck trying to find a tire in that size. There are plenty of tires in a 185 size, but they are too wide to fit our bike. For more information, check the darkside group, link to be found at the bottom of any of flb's posts.

I got a few things..

1st - This bickering is getting as lame and tired as the 1st vs. 2nd Gen thing.

2nd - I'm thinking about a Federal 165/80-15.. Any one try this? or this size?

3rd - We now have a "Dark Side" Group... This is the 1st that I'm aware of on VR.. I'm going to put in a request that we get a Dark Side Thread or Topic or whatever they call it. Dark Siders please respond to my request to show your support to make this happen.

here's the link:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=213491#post213491

I am going to err on the side of caution here. Lets face it, lots of high priced engineering goes into modern rubber and I am not about to second guess them when my life is on the line! Call me a wuss if you feel you need to but its M/C tires on my m/c's and car tires on my cars end of debate.

I will stand back and watch those more adventurous souls with the same mix of admiration, horror and disbelief that I use when watching people swim with sharks.

Brian H.

Uxbridge Ont

I got a few things..

1st - This bickering is getting as lame and tired as the 1st vs. 2nd Gen thing.

2nd - I'm thinking about a Federal 165/80-15.. Any one try this? or this size?

3rd - We now have a "Dark Side" Group... This is the 1st that I'm aware of on VR.. I'm going to put in a request that we get a Dark Side Thread or Topic or whatever they call it. Dark Siders please respond to my request to show your support to make this happen.

here's the link:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=213491#post213491

By all means..Freebird should add a CT thread in the tech section for those using car tires to share the info with those that want to, or just want to know something about it...

I would be for the new section, but it won't do any good because unless one of us "darksiders" could moderate it, it will be filled with posts from folks saying it's dangerous and stupid, insurance won't cover you, tire manufacturers won't support you and all the same crap that is spewed in this thread and no one will delete the posts to find the actual "tech" content.

I thought the same thing - not a MT vs CT thread - but more like a sharing of personal experiences - like most of the rest of this forum does - maybe it would run OK without a moderator if the conditions of the thread could be in the first post or what they call a "sticky"?

As I have said before Car tires are wrong on bikes. There are few on here that have tried it and maybe are doing ok for now. The people I am trying to reach are the ones that just came on the board and maybe just got the RSV and need a new tire. Some of you have chosen it knowing the risks. I wish you good luck but you know the risks and if something happens you were warned. Good luck with that. I dont want to see anyone come on here and just because a few people have it think that it is fine without knowing the risk.

One person in particular often questions my experience. I have owned my own tire business that caters fron everything from lawn tires to OTR tires and everything in between. I have had it now for 12 years and own it as a partner with my Father. Ive been in the business for much longer than 12 years and Dad has been doing tires for 45 years. I also worked for Goodyear racing on a part time basis for 12 years also. That being said I think I know a few things about tires of all types as well as applications. I research and solve the issues all the time.

If something happens as said before your Insurance Co will not back you up. Some on here say they want to screw you. Well that is true. They dont want to pay out. Fact is if the bike maker says the CT dont belong on there and the CT builder says it dont belong on there you will loose if you go to court. Some may be having good experience with the CT but if it comes down to this you will loose and loose alot. Some have checked with thier companies and flat out was told we will cancel you. Other people have checked and were told they needed to look farther into it. Probably never been asked before. If your company tells you that you can use it GET IT IN WRITING!

In NY you will fail your inspection Immediatly for a CT. Some states dont even check. If you think this is an ok once again call you insurance and get it in writing.

If you want to believe that everyone in the world is out to screw you then fine. Believe that but remember if it comes down to it a Tire Co will screw you. When the lawsuit comes they will say that CT should not be on a MC then you will be really be screwed. This is the world we live in so you need to cross your T's and dot your I's. Dont expect them to stand by you if you get hurt with a CT on a scoot. We have enough trouble with claims on legitimate tire failures on the proper vehicles.

All that being Said if you choose a CT be prepared for the consequenses. All I can say is thank God there are so few bikes that you can even fit a CT under being that most are too narrow or the rim size is too big.

Also FLB even if I were to buy a Harley tomorrow I will still be here.No plans to go anywhere.

The only information I can find in my owners manual about tires:

WARNING

EWA10460

The front and rear tires should

be of the same make and design,

otherwise the handling

characteristics of the vehicle

cannot be guaranteed.

After extensive tests, only the

tires listed below have been approved

for this model by

Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd.

Front tire:

Size:

150/80-16M/C 71H

Manufacturer/model:

BRIDGESTONE/G705G

Rear tire:

Size:

150/90B15M/C 74H

Manufacturer/model:

BRIDGESTONE/G702G

Looks to me like I am already "voiding" my warranty by running Metzlers, hope my insurance company doesn't find out.

The only information I can find in my owners manual about tires:

WARNING

EWA10460

The front and rear tires should

be of the same make and design,

otherwise the handling

characteristics of the vehicle

cannot be guaranteed.

After extensive tests, only the

tires listed below have been approved

for this model by

Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd.

Front tire:

Size:

150/80-16M/C 71H

Manufacturer/model:

BRIDGESTONE/G705G

Rear tire:

Size:

150/90B15M/C 74H

Manufacturer/model:

BRIDGESTONE/G702G

Looks to me like I am already "voiding" my warranty by running Metzlers, hope my insurance company doesn't find out.

If you do a little investigating you will probably find one of two things...

Either Yamaha owns a large portion of Bridgestone , or Bridgestone has an exclusive contract with Yamaha...

If you do a little investigating you will probably find one of two things...

Either Yamaha owns a large portion of Bridgestone , or Bridgestone has an exclusive contract with Yamaha...

That is not true. They do use them as they are a Japanesse tire manufacturer.

So, how does using a Metzler tire differ from using a CT, seems like both are unapproved by the manufacturer.

Now you're talking apples and oranges.

To answer the question... Metzler tires were designed for a bike car tires were designed for a ... well, I think you know.

Size:

[left]150/80-16M/C 71H
Manufacturer/model:
BRIDGESTONE/G705GRear tire:Size:
150/90B15M/C 74H
Manufacturer/model:[left]BRIDGESTONE/G702G[/left]

[/left]

:confused24:

My RSV's tires are stock OEM and they are DUNLOPS - front & rear - but same size as above!!!!!

It appears that the manual is referring to size - not the make of the tires.

Size:

[left]150/80-16M/C 71H
Manufacturer/model:
BRIDGESTONE/G705GRear tire:Size:
150/90B15M/C 74H
Manufacturer/model:[left]BRIDGESTONE/G702G[/left]

[/left]

:confused24:

My RSV's tires are stock OEM and they are DUNLOPS - front & rear - but same size as above!!!!!

It appears that the manual is referring to size - not the make of the tires.

That is correct. Mine originally came with Dunlops too. Dunlop MC Tires!

I didn't know Dunlops were Japanese made tires!

You are correct, Dunlops are made in Buffalo, New York.

"In 1920, ground was broken in Buffalo, New York, for what would become the first Dunlop tire manufacturing facility in the United States. Dunlop is still the only manufacturer to produce motorcycle tires in the U.S"